When shopping for used, how much does a rebuilt engine and trans add to the value?

Andy G

Adventurer
Looking at a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited. Good condition, 155,000 miles. Not much rust (for Michigan).

In the past 40k both the engine and transmission have been rebuilt - both verified by receipts.

How much would that change the price vs an identical WJ without a rebuilt engine and trans?

KBB doesn't help since they don't take into account rebuilt stuff.

Thanks!

Sedonut

Adventurer
It really depends on who rebuilt the engine. Some rebuilds are worthless. Some can be "re-manufactured": perhaps nearly good as new. Then there are new from the factory crate motors. Just as good as new. Unless it was "re-manufactured" or you really know the builder, a rebuild is not worth much.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Specific to the 4.7L V8, they have a significant flaw, where after about 100,000 miles the hydraulic lifters stop working properly and the rocker arms come off, causing all sorts of mayhem, but typically demonstrated by running on fewer cylinders and running like crap, and smoking a lot. Those lifters are easy to replace, and inexpensive, but fixing dropped valves or bent valves is more costly.

MOguy

Explorer
Using Kelly blue book it will have a area for condition. I think the are excellent, good, fair, poor maybe. That is about it when it comes to figuring out the condition.

Anybody can have receipts. I could have bought 10K worth of parts and then returned them and show you a receipt. They could be receipts for another vehicle. Even if they did use the parts and rebuild it how do you now they did a good job?

plh

Explorer
zero, especially after 40K - its meaningless. As others have said, if you are buying a running / driving car, you expect it to run and drive.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I would personally rather buy something cheap that everyone admitted was crap, and then direct and or do the work myself. I’ve dumped $12k into “restoring” a truck only to recognize that the value was still less than $4k because that is what the market for a used truck of that type was worth, no matter how tall my stack of receipts was.

J!m

It really depends on who rebuilt the engine. Some rebuilds are worthless. Some can be "re-manufactured": perhaps nearly good as new. Then there are new from the factory crate motors. Just as good as new. Unless it was "re-manufactured" or you really know the builder, a rebuild is not worth much.

This exactly.

xvz12

I would have to agree, zero added worth. 40k after the fact, it could easily be on it's last legs, depending on who did the rebuild, & what was actually done. I had a 're-manufactured' trans from a reputable company put in my truck, it now has almost exactly 40k on it, & it's currently sitting in my driveway, with no reverse, & spotty shifting in forward gears.....

plumber mike

Adventurer
I’ll agree with zero extra value. I’ve dropped way too much money into my old Yukon and haven’t been offered any more because of it. So it’s added value is only peace of mind for me. I understand everyone else is skeptical and it’s still an unknown vehicle to them. Not to mention there are still plenty of parts that haven’t been replaced.

I steer clear of rebuilds in general. Id rather have a 1-2 owner WJ with no drama in the history. Its not like they are hard to find.
Definitely not a premium for the motor.

pittsburgh

tacocat
It doesn’t increase the value. That’s like when people who try to factor their addon accessories on top of the blue book price. Just comes down to the market, my LJ might sell for more than blue book if the right buyer really wants it, same with my Tacoma.

But my Subaru I sold for just below blue book, since every month I’d have 10 interested people on no one would commit to showing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne