When Mitsubishi abandoned you, you purchased......................

Curious, I bought many Monteros, including 3 brand new, 1 like new. For those that occasionally buy new rigs, what did you buy after Mitsu turned you off and gave up trucks and SUVs? How many vehicles and dollars did it cost them so far?

Me:

2005 Xterra 26,000.00
2005 Nissan Titan 35,000.00
2015 4 Runner TRD Pro 42,000.00
2017 Raptor 55,000.00(dont have yet but will be ordering)

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I had a Gen I Montero, and a Mighty Max pickup. Bought both in 1989. Came back to the States in 1994 to find that the Gen II two-door that I'd been ogling in Argentina was not, and would never be available in the States. thanks Mitsu (and the chicken tax), went on to own a couple more Subarus, a Toyota Tacoma Quad-Cab, a Honda, and a Jeep since then. Haven't seen a Mitsu I wanted to own since 1993.

1989 Gen I Montero. $12,000 new
1989 Mighty Max PU. $8,995 new
1991 Legacy Wagon. $8,000 used
1997 Civic HX. $12,000 used
2003 Taco Quad Cab. $25,000 new
2007 Outback LLBE. $28,000 new
2013 Jeep JKUS. $30,000 new

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Coming from 21? Mitsubishi vehicles (mostly Monteros) I bought a 2007 GX-470, not new but still it's money I would have gladly spent on a new Montero or Triton crew cab 4x4. I did however buy a brand new Mirage this year so they made their money, so $30,000+ dollars spent on daily cars and only half of that went to Mitsubishi. We won't count the $5,000 I spent buying classic 4 Mitsu's this year.

Toasty

In that case Mitsubishi is still taking my coins... Hopefully with my support they'll bring over some of the vehicles I really want.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Although I kinda abandoned my mitsubishi for a while, I did get a Land Cruiser 80 and a 100 series. Both have their plus and minuses.

I miss montero, its coming back soon.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
still driving old monteros hoping they'll last long enough for a suitable replacement to be released by mitsubishi.

Should I hold my breath while I wait?

mikebmrx

Sorry guys, found some bad news for us the US wanting a new Montero from Mitsubishi anytime soon. The story below is about a revamp of the brand, so maybe there's hope for the future. Hell, the world loves the Pajero so I can't imagine it wouldn't eventually come back our way.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...hi--ceo-promises--an-electrified-u.s.-rebound

Just under the pic of the Lancer.

"Mitsubishi also has no plans for a next-generation full-size Pajero SUV, Masuko said. The Pajero was sold as the Montero in the U.S. until being discontinued there in 2006, and there had been speculation that a redesign would return to the U.S. market.

But Masuko said his company now has no plans for a successor model in any market because of fuel economy concerns."

Last edited:

Toasty

"We are strong in SUVs and four-wheel drives. And that is what we would like to focus on as core models in the U.S. market. We have changed direction," Masuko said. "We are going to allocate more resources to the areas where we are strong in the U.S."

I've noticed they have really put a lot of effort to push the Triton L200 platform, they even put some mean tires and bumpers on one to compete in a serious offroad challenge recently. If we get an SUV it will likely be the L200 based Montero Sport. Hopefully they'll redesign it to look different for the US market. If we get it at all.

Lets see, not one 4x4 SUV for off-road on the market back in early 2000s, then:

1. Xterra Became more aggressive, sold like crazy
2. JK Rubicon, they crank em out as fast as they can
3. H3 Hummer, did good despite its issues but Chevy was belly up
4. FJ, considered a loser one year thingy, sold like crazy instead
5. New 4 Runner reversed years of Mall Cruiser trending and is selling well(try to find a trail or TRD Pro)
6. Raptor, well 6 month waiting lists and a very shocked Ford planning on MASS production for 2017 say anything?

I could go on. The market is there for off-road vehicles in the country that celebrates off-roading more then any other. Yes, hatch backs sell in bigger numbers, but for less profit margin and generate no brand image. And Mitsubishi has no brand image.

DR1665

Gearheads United
Until the chicken tax is revealed, forcing the Big 3 to actually compete, the only way we're getting a Mitsubishi 4WD is if they retool Normal for truck production - which goes against their mission.

Mitsubishi isn't going anywhere. The lack of product offering in the US is closet fascism, plain and simple.

Mitsu owner since 1996. Gotta be pushing 500k Mitsubishi miles. Ichimai iwa.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Until the chicken tax is revealed, forcing the Big 3 to actually compete, the only way we're getting a Mitsubishi 4WD is if they retool Normal for truck production - which goes against their mission.

Mitsubishi isn't going anywhere. The lack of product offering in the US is closet fascism, plain and simple.

Mitsu owner since 1996. Gotta be pushing 500k Mitsubishi miles. Ichimai iwa.

The Normal plant is closed.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...downstate-mitsubishi-plant-makes-last-vehicle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles