When did this 'shop won't touch a tire over 4yrs old' stuff start?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Seems to be all the chain stores in L.A., is this forced upsell / "liability" crud all over the country?

paranoid56

Adventurer
you can thank all the people that sued them for doing it. I would be fine with a "here sign this waiver stating you knew the risk"

msimmo

I have a similar problem, bought a set of JK take offs and the chain stores won't install and balance unless a tire still has the manufacturer sticker on it.

The advice I got from my dad was take them to an independent shop, he had a shop near him that would install old cracked period correct tires on his m38a1

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Not here in VA.....replaced tires after 5 years only because of age, tire place said they'd be good for longer due to tread.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Even the NHTSA nannies only suggest (not require) replacement after something like 10 years based on age.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Nope; had a flat spare on the Explorer here in Co. maybe a month ago; and the tire shop wouldn't touch it; because it was "too old"...
Not that big a deal in my mind since tires are so much better than they were 50 years ago, and I have a plug kit and can dismount/remount them myself ( if I am not feeling lazy).
If it gets to be too big of a problem I will just get a modern tire changer...

Enjoy!

I think you will find this is more common in the franchise or chain type tire stores. It is corporate lawyer BS handed down to marketing. The lawyers consider it a liability and the marketing dept. loved it. Pushed it out to all stores as policy.

I went to a parts store because I needed to know what fault codes the ecu was throwing. I asked the guy to reset the ecu while he was connected and was informed they were not allowed to reset ECUs. I wanted to know if it was recurring fault or just an anomaly. Have since bought my own reader since then.

xvz12

I managed a service station/detail shop for 20 years, got spoiled with having the tire equipment handy, changed / repaired all my own tires. When I left that job, the first thing I bought were a manually operated tire changer & a bubble balancer, still fix & change my own tires, bought the equipment for about the same price a tire shop would charge to mount & balance a set of tires. Yeah, I know, 'bubble balance.'....but I've never had a balance issue from using it.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Call an Evans tire if they're near you, or call a private non chain tire guy. I gave him $60 and told him off the books. The tires I had were maybe 5 years old.

jadmt

ignore button user
Tire company standard is 10 years and even a tire store can sell a 5 year old tire. Time for a mass mailing to your congress people. this is pure fleecing and most likely illegal.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Tire company standard is 10 years and even a tire store can sell a 5 year old tire. Time for a mass mailing to your congress people. this is pure fleecing and most likely illegal.

How is it illegal for a business to refuse to install parts of unknown origin that you brought in? Do you get mad when you bring a raw steak and veggies to a restaurant and they refuse to cook it too?

If you don't like it, don't do business with them. I get my tires installed by a great local shop and he will install whatever I bring him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke