When did this 'shop won't touch a tire over 4yrs old' stuff start?

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I'd say generally the usable (safe) lifespan of a tire before risk of failure goes up significantly or grip has degraded excessively will be somewhere in the 6 - 10 year range, depending on environmental conditions, usage patterns, etc. If performance / grip is a prime concern, even 6 years may be too old. But a shop refusing to touch anything at the 4 year mark is a bit too conservative, IMO.

Just last week I wanted to get the tires rotated on my Jeep by a new Discount Tire store that just opened up. I was told nope, they are too old. Never mind the fact they are in great shape, plenty of tread depth, and no cracking.

So I went to the Jeep dealer, got them rotated, with no bs, for about the same price.

The difference as I see it was the focus of the business. Discount Tire’s main business is to sell tires. The Jeep dealer’s service department focus is to sell service. Which is all I needed or wanted, I don’t need to buy new tires, yet.

I understand franchise policy, etc. In my opinion, these blanket policies are a mechanism for tire chains to try to sell tires. As an earlier poster said, an intersection between lawyering and marketing.

I will probably buy tires when the time comes, from discount tire. I will buy when I am ready, not when they are trying to coerce me into it because of some BS policy they have come up with.

quickfarms

Adventurer
The last time I bought tires for the jeep I compared the prices at the big chains to the internet and my two local tire shops.

What I found was some of the chains are very expensive for name brand tires and only cheaper if you get there brand tire. The internet was not that cheap when you add the installation cost. The two local shops were about even. So in the end I did not find any real savings in going to the chains. The tires were purchased at a local shop.!

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I'm in Arkansas. The tire-branded tire stores in my area will not mount, balance, remount, etc a tire without original stickers in place unless they sold it and have such on record. These are Firestone, Goodyear, etc stores. The independent tire shops will do anything within reason you'll pay them to. These are places like Joe's Tires, Laverne's Pie Stand Tires Fixed Also, etc. Sam's Club won't touch a tire they didn't sell. I think it's a liability thing but also a lack of properly trained personnel thing. If most of your employees are young guys that don't know anything outside the norm of mounting new tires on new cars you really don't want them working outside that realm on your time.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Loose tires/wheels have different rules at my local chains.

If you just drop off 4 loose wheels with no "road hazard"stuff, they'll consider them off road or race tires. Then they have more wiggle room.

My trucks aluminum, so it'll sit on jack stands at home for a day or two, when it needs tires. I'm not letting a $9.00/hr half wit touch it.

Choff

Adventurer
I had a local Fleet Farm store in Wisconsin say they would not sell me tires for aftermarket rims due to being not stock rims with the Van.
I left the store !!!
Found someone else to do the work, no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles