When did mountain biking become so specialized!

Ductape

I really like that Kona Unit (x). Checks a lot of boxes. For now, my primary rider in the rotation is an early (by 29er standards) Willits. So much fun to ride, but it does have era limitations. I would love to try the same bike but with 2.6" tires and disc brakes.

MTVR

I just like steel bikes.

The 2.6" tires are a game-changer, especially after converting to tubeless. It comes with a suspension-corrected fork, but I don't know if I'll ever feel the need to add a suspension fork. And the 2.6" tires don't slow me down like a 2.8" or larger "plus" tire would.

The hydraulic disc brakes are good. This bike doesn't have a single cable on it.

Don't forget the modern geometry- it makes descending so much more comfortable. And it even comes with routing for a dropper.

And the regular Unit (like mine) comes with a rear derailleur hanger and a full-width freehub, so if I decide to convert to 1x12 at some point, I can. I'm sneaking up on 60 years of age, but at this time, I'm just letting the single-speed drivetrain make a man out of me. Someone smarter than me told me that I actually have THREE speeds- sitting, standing, and walking...

Last edited:

MTVR

What a cool color, on the Unit X:

I do have my apprehensions about the budget SX drivetrain, but the "X" is only $200 more than the regular Unit, and you can upgrade whatever breaks. I think that if I were 10 years older, I would have gone with the "X" from the start...

Last edited:

MTVR

FWIW, you can buy the Unit as a frameset and just build it up however you like. In my case, the build kit was acceptable, so I just bought it as a complete and then switched to tubeless. The rims and tires were tubeless-ready, and the bike came with tubeless valve stems in a little baggie- all I had to add was a quick splash of Stan's- the tires seated with a hand pump.

I have lived in the "western world" for over 20 years and I still can't understand the concept. Here in Australia (and it must be similar in the US) maybe 1 in 1,000 bikes are used for transport, the other 999 just for sports (we call them lycra loonies here). The bikes cost much more than a second hand 100,000 km Corolla. Compare this to the rest of the world's concept of bikes: comfy, solid, practical, clean (yes mudguards!), bulletproof and less than $100 new. Too rough or too steep? You walk beside it. Hilly terrain? Maybe get the same but with gears. But hey each to their own :)bicycle 1.PNG

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Thanks for the input. I'll add a few more details so maybe you can help me.

I am 5'8 or so, 160 lbs. Right now I still ride my old Specialized Epic with 26".

I used it on a 4 days race across Costa Rica about 10 years ago and we are thinking of doing it again next year.

I think I want a 27.5". I have ridden a 29" with larger handlebars and it felt a bit big for me.

I do a lot of riding around Tahoe, which has a lot of boulders, ruts and holes - with some good downhills.
So I think I need rear suspension.

I really like the dropper post so I think that's a given.

Tubeless seems like a good idea.

So I think right now my choices would be between a Cross Country (XC) or a Trail bike.

Toyaddict

I picked up one of these, I really like the 27.5" coming from 26". Being tubeless ready and equipped with a dropper post helped my decision as well. It's not the most fun for long climbs but my only comparison is to a hard tail. There are probably similarly built bikes for less money but I bought mine locally so it was convenient. A gently used one could be a good deal.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Finally swapped out my ancient 26" dual suspension for a new ride - slightly used Specialized Chisel, a 29" hardtail.

After trying a road bike for a short bit. I'm just not a roadie I guess. I like riding x-country, off pavement, nothing crazy technical, no jumping really - never learned the skillz.

I wanted simple. There was too much going on with the last bike - too many air pressures, adjustments, pivots, moving parts.

Liking it a lot - 1x drivetrain is nice and simple, tubeless tires roll and grip really well and haven't had a single flat yet.

Air volume makes up for lack of rear shock somewhat with flexy seat stays too.

Being hardtail, 1x, and internal cable, it looks super clean. 27.2mm seatpost makes adding a dropper tough but I also don't want to add an extra pound-plus and more moving parts.

I can only have one, so I'm happy for now - seems a lot of bike for $1k

Attachments

• SS 2019-11-15 at 9.38.56 PM.jpeg
    SS 2019-11-15 at 9.38.56 PM.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 33

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Lots of people suggested a gravel bike for me, but I recently went riding with a friend, me on my hardtail 29er, him on his gravel bike.

I was floating over that washboard while he was losing the fillings in his teeth ;-)

MTVR

Lots of people suggested a gravel bike for me, but I recently went riding with a friend, me on my hardtail 29er, him on his gravel bike.

I was floating over that washboard while he was losing the fillings in his teeth ;-)

How about Monstercross then?

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Had to quick google Monstercross - nah, for me the weight of front suspension is worth it.

It's about comfort and control not absorbing big hits, so rear suspension is unnecessary - this way I sit down and lock it out, or get up off the seat with totally selective travel ;-)

Going straight from 26 to 29" was weird - steering felt stubborn - in the first couple weeks I actually started doing some countersteering like I would on a motorcycle, it's probably unconscious now

ITTOG

Well, first I eliminate any types of bikes that are simply outside of my intended usage. Tri bikes, Crit bikes, Freeride/Downhill bikes that can't be pedaled uphill, Dirt Jump bikes, and so on.

That basically leaves me a range of bicycles that range from Cyclocross to Enduro, although that's kind of pushing the limits, and honestly what I really need is probably something ranging from an XC bike to a bike-packing bike. Monstercross would be a likely contender.

Then I eliminate anything that costs more than I can afford/justify at the upper end, and anything that's simply crap at the lower end.

From the remaining choices, I just buy what makes me smile. This time around it was a rigid steel single-speed 29er- the 2020 Kona Unit:

What makes you think downhill bikes can't be pedaled uphill? Mine pedals uphill, downhill, crosshill, under water, on the moon....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles