When did mountain biking become so specialized!

TwinStick

Explorer
I will be 60 this year. I am NOT a fitness expert. I am not a bike expert. I am not a repair expert. I am not in good shape.

Now, with all that said, mtb has been expensive from day one, at least in my humble opinion. First mtb was a GT Backwoods in 94', $750. Next was a 97' GT LTS 3, $1200. Both bought new from local bike shop. Shop owner turned into a real peach during the pandemic craze.

Fast forward to the current year, 2023 Specialized Status 160, $3000+. And I know it's considered "bottom of the barrel " compared to many upper end mtbs. It is sad to work for 30 years, retired, then have trouble just affording a bicycle ! Very sad indeed .

Anyways, bike should be ready for pickup this week hopefully. They said 3 days but that didn't happen. More bike than I could ever use . But I have always wanted a long travel mtb to have fun on. And not ever have to worry about over taxing the bike because of smashing into the end of the bikes travel. That has happened on both previous bikes.

But unfortunately, like most things these days, the cost of admission is higher than it should be. Yes, technology is awesome when working properly but it seems that technology also has its limitations. Around our area, people just don't make enough money, to spend more money on a bike than their vehicles. Some bikes are $12,000 or more. Cool ? Most definitely cool. But not worth the money.

Just so younger people understand: First new vehicle: 1988 Ford Ranger, $12,500. 2nd new vehicle 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4, $28k, 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, $32k. 2008 Dodge Power Wagon, $36k. 2017 4 Runner, $42k. 2019 Colorado ZR2, $43k. 2023 ZR2 Colorado, $51,770+tax+destination + delivery fee, + registration + insurance increase...........................................

So, this will be our last pickup, because they are just too expensive. Probably my last full suspension mtb too because they are also just too expensive.

TwinStick

Explorer
Yes, you could do that. But then you inherit every single accident/incident with the bike.

I was at our local bike shop, and happened to witness this first hand. The young man thought he got the deal of a lifetime on a very long travel gravity bike that he bought from our local ski area. It looked mint, was super clean and well taken care of and maintained. He learned that there must have been multiple crashes with his bike. It was sad & I felt sorry for him. Apparently everything was tweaked and they also found 2 hairline cracks in the frame that only became visible when weight was on the bike and someone else was inspecting it. He said it felt squishy but just thought it was the long travel suspension. He went back and forth with the ski area but they sold them as is.

So sometimes the deal of the century is not such a good deal after all. He was out over $1k. They said the only solution was to find an absolute expert welder, because if they don't get good penetration or blow through the material it will become junk. Not sure what happened but I know I would not buy used because of that.

So, a ordinary bike, yes, find a deal. But expensive specialty bikes, probably not so much. But if you set out a quest to buy used specialty bike ---- do your homework, bring an expert with you if you can and minimize your chance of buyers remorse. But at the very least, have a competent bike shop thoroughly go over it. I just can't imagine having a catastrophic failure at full speed, going down a ski slope. That could easily be the end of you or your bike riding days.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior