Wheeling no no.

toyrunner95

Explorer
So I was reading my overland journal this morning, basking in the superb pictures and linguistic prowess when I noticed somthing very disturbing. Scott Brady, our beloved founder and all around competent wheeler, went off into the wild blue yonder to do his winch tets ALONE! Now I understand the argument of, well I wasn't that far and I had cell coverage and I didn't think anything would go wrong. Well low and behold, what could go wrong did.

Lets all learn from this mistake. Don't take your wife off into the wildrness and leave the dog at home. HAHA j/k Scott; how was the tow?

Taz

Adventurer
I know these agruments and have heard them, but for 25+ years I wheeled alone before I ever found about about "clubs". I still wheel alone often. Be Prepared! It's the Boy Scout way. Yes I have made some long hikes at times but always thought of it as part of the "adventure". People always know where I am, what I am doing and when to send out the search parties for me...............

Scott Brady

Founder
He was joking. . .

I travel alone nearly every trip. You just must be prepared and experienced, and then accept the risks. :costumed-smiley-007

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Same here, 99% of it is alone.
Where people tend to get in trouble is be unaware of the risks of off-roading alone.

proto

Adventurer
Here's my #1 Rule:
Always have somebody at home who knows your plans and will be a strong advocate for your rescue.

Don't get me wrong, I like going it alone and being self-reliant. I take pride in being skilled and prepared -- and in having the judgment to avoid situations requiring those skills and preparations. But when you run into something you just can't handle without help, you need someone who's smart, persistent, and will drop everything to get you that help. I'll choose that over a random group of tag-along four-wheelers any day!

winkosmosis

Explorer
I've never wheeled with anyone else (for the last 2 years I haven't wheeled at all because I live in Houston). From spending time on Jeepforum I have learned something.... I don't want to spend any time whatsoever with the majority of offroaders. They are by and large ultraconservative morons.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I don't want to spend any time whatsoever with the majority of offroaders. They are by and large ultraconservative morons.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way....they are usually drinking beer while driving like idiots, being inappropriate and embarrassing, and generally don't represent anything I try and stand for....

Spence

craig333

Expedition Leader
Well I think thats a minority, not a majority but they are for sure out there. I wheel alone mostly. I also have a bad habit of changing my plans on a whim. I may be hundreds of miles from where I told someone I'd be. I really need to get a spot plb. I have walked many miles to get help before. Once I even had to cross a railroad bridge (no handrails) at night and I'm not too enamored of heights either. We come prepared as possible and acknowledge the risks.

I certainly wouldn't recommend solo trips to a beginner.

proto

Adventurer
. . . I'll choose that over a random group of tag-along four-wheelers any day!

Please don't misconstrue my off-hand comment as an attack at those 'lowly, common, off-roader types'. I was merely saying that, when I need a backup, I prefer a known & trusted quantity to an unknown companion.

(You meet a broad spectrum of people when you're off the beaten path for any length of time. Really only a few are aggressively obnoxious -- but that presents an opportunity. If you can convert one leadfoot/wildman wheeler into a thoughtful overlander with a light tread then you've done the community a big service! Tag-along groups can be fun. Look for a chance to pass along knowledge -- heck a person might pick up a few tricks himself, too!)

We now return to our previously scheduled thread about doing the solo no-no.

Last edited:

toyrunner95

Explorer
wow. Up here in WA we never go alone. The main reason being that if something does go wrong (and it will) you have extra hands and tools available. Camping alone is one thing. But actually wheeling?! no way man. I have been on too many rescue missions in the winter up at Elbe. Numerous trucks go out and a normal trail takes 16hrs. famlies start getting worried. people start heading up and looking. we bring stoves, tents, blankets, and camp in the camp ground. These arent novice or ill prepared people either. They have been around the block a few dozen times and things still happen.

Scott Brady

Founder
I bet that better than 50% of the members of this forum do most trips solo. Most RTW travelers are one vehicle.

It is not a big deal if you are prepared and experienced.

I love the trips that are just Stephanie and me, as we can go at our own pace, stay in a place longer if we want, extra time for photography, etc.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Winter travel is different. I stay closer to main roads and don't stray from my itinerary as much. But i have the camper also. I'm not going to freeze till i run out of propane which will take quite awhile even in bad conditions. If the Jeep goes out in the winter its with a group.

slosurfer

Adventurer
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way....they are usually drinking beer while driving like idiots, being inappropriate and embarrassing, and generally don't represent anything I try and stand for....

Spence

This comment is embarrassing.:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz