Wheeler's Offroad T1 Front Coils for 3rd Gen 4runner

Wisco

Observer
Hey guys, today I replaced the worn out suspension in my '97 4Runner. I've been researching different suspension options for the last several weeks. I had ultimately narrowed it down to OME 881 front coils with Bilstein 5100 series front struts along with OME 890 rear coils and Bilstein 5100 rear shocks. The goal was to achieve between 2.5" and 3" of lift for a bit more tire clearance, and gain an improved on-road ride.

I placed the order for all the above parts with Wheeler's Offroad along with my intentions of the new suspension. The next day I was contacted by a representative from Wheeler's about some concerns he had about what I was trying to achieve with the parts I ordered. It was brought to my attention that getting the lift I was after, along with the ride quality I wanted was going to be hard with the 881 coils. I was told that I could achieve the 2.5"-3" of lift by setting the springs on a higher perch of the 5100 struts, but doing so would negatively affect ride quality. The representative suggested I switch from 881 coils to their own Wheeler's brand T1 coil set, which is made for them by Eibach. (https://wheelersoffroad.com/product...-off-road-437502/wheelers-t1-front-coil-pair/).

I was told that these coils would provide the lift I wanted while using the lowest spring perch on the 5100 struts, thus preserving ride quality. I was a bit apprehensive about dropping the coin on a product that was unknown to me, however I took Wheeler's advice and decided to give them a shot.

Since there is limited information on these particular front coils out there, this thread will serve as an on-going review of their performance and how well they work with the 890/5100 rear setup.

Wisco

Observer
Since this thread is worthless without pics, here you go!

Unboxed:

I opted to have Wheeler's assemble the springs and struts for me. This was well worth the additional fee to avoid having to mess with a spring compressor. I had the front suspension done in about an hour and a half working by myself. In all, this was one of the easiest lift installs I've ever done.

Before:

After:

Old Vs. New:

I used Speedy's Garage install video on YouTube as a resource. His jack trick to get the lower strut bolts lined up worked super slick, and wasn't nearly as sketchy as he makes it sound in the video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9-0hMzv_RU)

Once I get it aligned and have a chance to put some miles on the new setup, I'll update the thread with my thoughts. Initial impressions are good though.

As it sits now, I gained exactly 3" of lift all the way around, and have a 3/4" rake. I expect it to settle some, but so far I'm happy.

AaronK

Explorer
I'll have to remember that jack trick when I do my suspension work next week.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

jgilbreath

Observer
Do you know free length and spring rate of the wheelers coils? 881/890 with 5100s is exactly what i have been thinking of. Was the concern that the 881s would not provide enough lift?

Wisco

Observer
Do you know free length and spring rate of the wheelers coils? 881/890 with 5100s is exactly what i have been thinking of. Was the concern that the 881s would not provide enough lift?

Unfortunately I do not know either of those. Since I ordered the springs assembled I wasn't able to measure the free length, and I never bothered to ask specifically what the spring rate was.

From my reading, the T1 coils are a bit longer and have a little heavier spring rate than the 881's. For specifics you'd have to give Wheeler's a call.

My 4Runner has an Addicted Offroad front bumper with a 9k lb winch, so it's a fair bit heavier up front over stock. The concern was that the 881's would not handle the extra weight without being set on a higher spring perch, which would give it a harsher ride.

I took the truck on a pretty decent shakedown run this weekend. It saw interstate, curvy county roads and quite a bit of rough fire lane. I'll post my thoughts in a day or two.

Wisco

Observer
I've got a little over 500 miles on the new suspension, and the ride quality has improved slightly as the springs are starting to settle in. The front rides much better than the clapped out factory struts, and the truck feels more "solid" overall. I haven't noticed any appreciable sagging, but will keep an eye on the ride height as the miles rack up. The OME 890's are still a bit stiff, but aren't harsh by any means. I generally don't carry much weight in the rear of the truck, so I'm sure that plays a factor in how the rear rides.

In all, I'm very impressed with the front springs and the entire suspension in general. It's doing exactly what I wanted at a price I could afford. Wheeler's Offroad was awesome to work with, and their customer service should be a model for other companies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles