Wheel rim combo upgrades - legalities in western australia

seagulljim

Gday
We have an fg649 dual cab canter 4x4 which was an ex BHP billiton hi rail service veichle and kitted out with ROPS , hiab ect.
The veichle is fitted with a 19.5 inch steel single wheel conversion with custom rims by a manufacturer in perth WA with individual serial numbers
The rear rims are 30mm inside the track of the front rims, I assume this may of been to accommodate the veichle when travelling on the rail system.
The front and rear rims are not legally interchangeable and 2 spares must be carried (you could interchange them in a pinch if you had to to get home)
The tyres are rated for the veichle load rating and are a more a truck tyre than a wide mud tyre.
The truck does not have a speedo corrector fitted and speedo is out by about 10% ( obviously one must be fitted as par the course)
I have contacted the engeneering firm for mod plate interpretations and the wheel conversion is not listed on the plate or on the rego papers.
The truck in my opinion stops as good as it should and preforms well in the sand.
What pain must I go thru to make it legal.?
All advice appreciated to australian (paticular western australian) requirements
Thank you

stephenh1235

"Have gun will travel"
Gday
We have an fg649 dual cab canter 4x4 which was an ex BHP billiton hi rail service veichle and kitted out with ROPS , hiab ect.
The veichle is fitted with a 19.5 inch steel single wheel conversion with custom rims by a manufacturer in perth WA with individual serial numbers
The rear rims are 30mm inside the track of the front rims, I assume this may of been to accommodate the veichle when travelling on the rail system.
The front and rear rims are not legally interchangeable and 2 spares must be carried (you could interchange them in a pinch if you had to to get home)
The tyres are rated for the veichle load rating and are a more a truck tyre than a wide mud tyre.
The truck does not have a speedo corrector fitted and speedo is out by about 10% ( obviously one must be fitted as par the course)
I have contacted the engeneering firm for mod plate interpretations and the wheel conversion is not listed on the plate or on the rego papers.
The truck in my opinion stops as good as it should and preforms well in the sand.
What pain must I go thru to make it legal.?
All advice appreciated to australian (paticular western australian) requirements
Thank you

My present FG649 when I bought it 4 years ago came with similiar 19.5" wheels, though the rim stud holes were machined to accept wheel nuts from both sides to allow fitment to front or rear. The fitted rims on the front did differ from the rear & single spare was same as rear! The truck was previously owned by Wallace drilling = contractors to BHP in Newman West Australia. Rego papers did not reflect any modifications & no mod plate was on the vehicle. I was happy enough with the wheels compared to original dual rear option on standard vehicles but found them too rigid in the sidewalls for sand/beach work. Attempts to locate rim manufacturer & then an engineer to approve compliance out weighed the option to change to an approved wheel set up, so I went with the 17" rim with more tyre choices from "Goanna Tracks" = "Truck super singles" = "Australia adventure vehicles" owned by Kym Boulton. To perform compliance I engaged engineer "Tito Trivedi" = heavy vehicle compliance, here in W.A. who was given necessary manufacture/testing paperwork from A.A.V. , I purchased a speedo corrector from Lionel Otto instruments & increased length of mudflaps to comply with the specs.
Have attached photos of the 19.5" rims for you to see if same as yours, and no I don't still have them - sold!DSCF9078.JPGDSCF9079.JPG

seagulljim

My present FG649 when I bought it 4 years ago came with similiar 19.5" wheels, though the rim stud holes were machined to accept wheel nuts from both sides to allow fitment to front or rear. The fitted rims on the front did differ from the rear & single spare was same as rear! The truck was previously owned by Wallace drilling = contractors to BHP in Newman West Australia. Rego papers did not reflect any modifications & no mod plate was on the vehicle. I was happy enough with the wheels compared to original dual rear option on standard vehicles but found them too rigid in the sidewalls for sand/beach work. Attempts to locate rim manufacturer & then an engineer to approve compliance out weighed the option to change to an approved wheel set up, so I went with the 17" rim with more tyre choices from "Goanna Tracks" = "Truck super singles" = "Australia adventure vehicles" owned by Kym Boulton. To perform compliance I engaged engineer "Tito Trivedi" = heavy vehicle compliance, here in W.A. who was given necessary manufacture/testing paperwork from A.A.V. , I purchased a speedo corrector from Lionel Otto instruments & increased length of mudflaps to comply with the specs.
Have attached photos of the 19.5" rims for you to see if same as yours, and no I don't still have them - sold!View attachment 580020View attachment 580021

seagulljim

Thanks for your response mate.
Our rim combo is identical to your previous set up and is proving painful to track down the manufacturer as you said.
I spoke to a rim modifier/manufacturer in perth yesterday and he said legality should be a simple process , find a engineer that may work with car clubs that may be more sympathetic to your cause and arrange for the rim to be sent away for a HRT? test ,basically testing the integrity of the rims construction and how the tyre behaves on the rim ,throw in a speedo corrector ect and the jobs on.
I've contacted ATW in perth about rim upgrades and I may also require a larger? brake vacuum tank depending on engeneers advice
I find these rims work well for us as when deflated the tyre imprint is longer not wider and when left in 2nd low simply put puts everywhere
The rim modifier made it sound so easy but the process will tell
Thank you for your response and advice, I appreciate it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz