Wheat straw dishes for overland glamping?

I was browsing Amazon for suitable camp plates and bowls and I saw that there are a lot of offerings made of "wheat straw". They claim it is unbreakable. I'm not a fan of metal plates/bowls because of the thermal conductivity. I've never heard of wheat straw dishes so figured I'd see if anyone here is using them and how they hold up.

Bob

WOODY2

Adventurer
I was browsing Amazon for suitable camp plates and bowls and I saw that there are a lot of offerings made of "wheat straw". They claim it is unbreakable. I'm not a fan of metal plates/bowls because of the thermal conductivity. I've never heard of wheat straw dishes so figured I'd see if anyone here is using them and how they hold up.

Bob
Thanks, I'm grabbing a couple of sets so I can appropriate a couple for camping.

After looking at a bunch of options, I decided to go with these surplus melamine mess trays. Reminded me of my glory days! Might go ahead and order the wheat straw bowls just to give them a shot.

s-l1600.jpg

old_CWO

After looking at a bunch of options, I decided to go with these surplus melamine mess trays. Reminded me of my glory days! Might go ahead and order the wheat straw bowls just to give them a shot.

View attachment 615273

The good old underway prison tray. I haven't eaten on those in years, now I want some just for the nostalgia! The earlier stainless steel versions were my favorite.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Mostly I use paper plates nested on a metal plate for strength, same for paper bowls, in a metal bowl. Easy clean up and not very expensive. When we could have fires I would toss them in after eating but now I just put them in the Trasharoo (in a plastic garbage bag) and carry them out.

old_CWO

What were you in for??? ?
LOL
I ended up pulling a 20 year stretch after some poor decision making when young...

You know the difference between being at sea and being in jail? Only one carries the risk of drowning!

old_CWO

Mostly I use paper plates nested on a metal plate for strength, same for paper bowls, in a metal bowl. Easy clean up and not very expensive. When we could have fires I would toss them in after eating but now I just put them in the Trasharoo (in a plastic garbage bag) and carry them out.

Paper plates have always been my go-to campfire starter as well.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Actually for fire starters I use sawdust and paraffin in a paper egg carton section. Have also tried the paper from our shredder and paraffin. It's like a big candle, burns about 10 min to start the wood.

old_CWO

Actually for fire starters I use sawdust and paraffin in a paper egg carton section. Have also tried the paper from our shredder and paraffin. It's like a big candle, burns about 10 min to start the wood.
That was a common project found in Boy's Life magazine back when I was in the Scouts. Funny, I haven't thought about those home made fire starters in many years. They worked well and since there weren't as many affordable commercially available alternatives at the time they were well worth the effort to make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles