What's your number one most useful cooking item?

Gearspoke

Adventurer
I'm interested to hear about people's number one item that they find themselves using in their camp kitchens. I received a Kelly Kettle a few years back for Christmas. It came with all the attachments for use as a stove, kettle, and a device to heat soup and such. The thing about it is that it uses any type of fuel. (not lp or white gas) You can use: twigs, grass, cones, charcoal, you name it. So rather than lugging gas containers along, I can just pack this! Its pretty lightweight and all the attachments fold down and can be stowed pretty easily.

I want to add more multi-function types of gear to my collection, what are some items that you find yourself using more than anything else?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I really love my Stansport Dual Fuel burner:

544515-4.jpg

We can't burn dead/down in my area, so liquid fuels make a lot of sense. I really like the convenience of being able to use the Butane canisters, but having the adaptor for using propane (and bulk propane) whenever I prefer, or if the butane gets hard to find.

Few things are as important during a trip as getting the coffee going for my wife FIRST THING, so the ability to place this small burner just about anywhere and have it running with a twist of the wrist is a major plus. Having to build a fire or prime a white-gas stove isn't my preference just to get her that first cup o' joe.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the original reason I switched to butane was for better heat control as well. Soft-scrambled eggs are now in-reach!

Gearspoke

Adventurer

544515-4.jpg

We can't burn dead/down in my area, so liquid fuels make a lot of sense. I really like the convenience of being able to use the Butane canisters, but having the adaptor for using propane (and bulk propane) whenever I prefer, or if the butane gets hard to find.

Few things are as important during a trip as getting the coffee going for my wife FIRST THING, so the ability to place this small burner just about anywhere and have it running with a twist of the wrist is a major plus. Having to build a fire or prime a white-gas stove isn't my preference just to get her that first cup o' joe.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the original reason I switched to butane was for better heat control as well. Soft-scrambled eggs are now in-reach!

SMART = getting the wife coffee first! :) Good Man!

Now did you buy this from the Stansport website, or did you get on a deal from another location such as Cabelas, or the Bass Pro Shop?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
SMART = getting the wife coffee first! :) Good Man!

Now did you buy this from the Stansport website, or did you get on a deal from another location such as Cabelas, or the Bass Pro Shop?

Ordered mine shipped to my local Walmart, which was the best pricing at the time. Looks like Stansport might be discontinuing this model, since it's on their site as "Fall Markdown" but the price is actually higher than when I bought it last year: http://www.stansport.com/index.php/fall-markdowns/186-500.html

java

Expedition Leader
Beer, it gets used every meal to keep the chef happy.

Ive been really happy with my MSI nesting cooking set. Its not really fancy, but they pack small and there is a lot of cooking potential in the little package. My only complaint is thin frying pan... it warps.

t-rex grrr

Adventurer

544515-4.jpg

Would you happen to have a picture of the hose connector that connects to the butane connector in the stove?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm assuming you use that for coffee as well. Do you use a press or something else?
Sometimes a press (if the weather is good). Sometimes the Starbucks VIA instant.

We usually put some hot water in a thermos after breakfast. If we need a quick hot meal while wheeling, there's plenty of dried meals stored that we can have in a jiffy by pouring the hot water over it. Or we just use that hot water first thing the next morning for coffee and oatmeal and boil some more and replace what we used in the thermos.
Most of our camping is in cool to cold weather; hot water is a major necessity.

I bought one of these a few years ago on sale. It works great.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Would you happen to have a picture of the hose connector that connects to the butane connector in the stove?

Not handy, but I'll try to remember to shoot one in the next couple of days. I keep the adapter hose and a bulk-tank adapter in the kitchen kit, so I'll fish it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier