What's your favourite frying pan? Market Research

emulous74

These have become my new favorites, OXO Outdoor Carbon Steel Fry Pan with Removable Handle - 10"

4813c85e-1ee7-4e41-b83b-2f9e6aabb134.jpg

fd852fcb-9a18-4042-87a7-402fa71a0e58.jpg

Comes in an 8" size too, seems to be only available through REI

Ragman

These have become my new favorites, OXO Outdoor Carbon Steel Fry Pan with Removable Handle - 10"

4813c85e-1ee7-4e41-b83b-2f9e6aabb134.jpg

fd852fcb-9a18-4042-87a7-402fa71a0e58.jpg

Comes in an 8" size too, seems to be only available through REI
I agree 100% with your highlighting of this pan, I too picked one up and fell in love with it when camping. If anyone wants to see more on this pan I did a review of it on my YouTube channel and named it one of my best camping gear finds of 2022. You can see the video here-

When I am light weighting or space constrained I am a huge fan of the Banks Fry-Bake pans as well which are anodized aluminum and can be used as fry pans, baking dishes in ovens and mini dutch ovens. There is a review on my channel as well if you want to check that out. Also I recently tested the new Firebox anodized skillet and, while not as good as the Fry-Bake, it was a solid performer eat a very cheap price.

REF

Love anything cast iron, never leave home without one. I also got a Magma non stick nesting set, great build quality, compact and held up really well, super durable. Got mine with the strainer, pads and case.

MAGMA Products, A10-362-IND 7 Piece Induction Cook-Top Gourmet Nesting Stainless Steel Cookware Set, Black https://a.co/d/64Xk9cR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbrreenntt

I agree 100% with your highlighting of this pan, I too picked one up and fell in love with it when camping. If anyone wants to see more on this pan I did a review of it on my YouTube channel and named it one of my best camping gear finds of 2022. You can see the video here-

When I am light weighting or space constrained I am a huge fan of the Banks Fry-Bake pans as well which are anodized aluminum and can be used as fry pans, baking dishes in ovens and mini dutch ovens. There is a review on my channel as well if you want to check that out. Also I recently tested the new Firebox anodized skillet and, while not as good as the Fry-Bake, it was a solid performer eat a very cheap price.

Nice! yeah, I saw these on the web as well and thought it was a fantastic solution. I'm stoked to check out your review!

I also recently learnt about the frybakes, saw them on a recent winter camping trip in Ontario. Great concept.

Thanks for your valuable feedback!!!

surfpig

Hey there!

I'm an avid ADV rider, Overlander and cook. I'm interested in what people are using to cook meals on when they are out camping! I'm a little frustrated with the cookware I've been using (GSI Pinnacle Frying Pan & MSR stainless pot set) and would like to bring to market a cookset that solves some of my issues. But I'd really like to know what people out here use and love already!

Could you tell me what pans/pots you currently use when cooking in the backcountry or camping?
Can you tell me about what works or do you love about your current equipment?
What are your main frustrations with your cookware?
What features would a dream frying pan or cookware set have for you?
Would you pay $80 for a new frying pan if it solved your camp cooking problems?

THANK YOU so much for your thoughts and opinions. I wholeheartedly appreciate your interest and input!

- Brent
I'll answer your thread tile question "What's your favourite frying pan?". ... My extremely-smooth and well-seasoned cast iron frying pans! :)

I sanded them, cleaned them carefully with soap and water, dried them, and immediately began seasoning them They haven't seen soap since the cleaning of the iron dust from sanding. I only use vegetable-oil and paper-towel to clean them.

Yes, they have some weight, but they work very well! ... I find them worth the weight for my camping, but, everyone else will need to decide that for himself/herself. :)
The GSI pan is great, except for the Teflon part. I have a couple of them. Then I discovered the same size/shape GSI in "lightweight" cast iron (no folding handle). We broke it in in the kitchen at home, and it almost never made it into the camp box! :ROFLMAO:

I have three Lodge Dutch ovens, and a Lodge square griddle. Big Dutch for large groups, a 10" for 2-4 people, and a cute little 8" if it's just me/mrs surfpig.

Concerns about weight, or available space, makes a one size fits all solution impossible. I do backpacking as well as 4-wheeling, as well as simple car camping. All have different needs.

I'll think about some of your other questions.

Last edited:

Bbrreenntt

Thanks for your response!

I also bought a some of this GSI Lightweight cast iron pans. They do have a great finish on them. You beat me, in that mine is still in my kitchen at home!!

I would be interested in knowing what you pack differently for 4-wheel vs car camping when it comes to your kitchen stuff?

The GSI pan is great, except for the Teflon part. I have a couple of them. Then I discovered the same size/shape GSI in "lightweight" cast iron (no folding handle). We broke it in in the kitchen at home, and it almost never made it into the camp box! :ROFLMAO:

I have three Lodge Dutch ovens, and a Lodge square griddle. Big Dutch for large groups, a 10" for 2-4 people, and a cute little 8" if it's just me/mrs surfpig.

Concerns about weight, or available space, makes a one size fits all solution impossible. I do backpacking as well as 4-wheeling, as well as simple car camping. All have different needs.

I'll think about some of your other questions.

jreddy

I would never use anything besides a non-stick pan while camping. They're just so much easier to clean, and you save so much water. I wipe it clean with a damp cloth and then use a disinfecting wipe. The water use is negligible, which ultimately means I get to stay out a lot longer. The only times I wish I had cast iron are for searing meat at super-high temperatures, but you can still get a decent sear at safer temps. Quality non-stick surfaces are quite safe, particularly if you aren't using them every day. GSI Pinnacle is my favorite, but I also really like the folding handle design of the Jetboil skillet. I just don't like the Jetboil's cake-pan shape.

Switch

Observer
Hey there!

I'm an avid ADV rider, Overlander and cook. I'm interested in what people are using to cook meals on when they are out camping! I'm a little frustrated with the cookware I've been using (GSI Pinnacle Frying Pan & MSR stainless pot set) and would like to bring to market a cookset that solves some of my issues. But I'd really like to know what people out here use and love already!

Could you tell me what pans/pots you currently use when cooking in the backcountry or camping?

THANK YOU so much for your thoughts and opinions. I wholeheartedly appreciate your interest and input!

- Brent

1678239907756.png

These skillets are perfect for bacon & eggs, pancakes, Fajita's, or anything else you want to serve HOT. The skillets came with wood serving trays so you don't get burned by the skillet.

After a 14 years of use I can definitely say that these are best cookware in my car camping kit. Clean with hot water and a paper towel.

You never eat a cold breakfast again!

I also got a metal spatula like this but used a grinder to round the edges to fit the skillets:
1678240174059.png

[edit]
Oh crap, I just found out what an ADV rider is.

Attachments

• 1678239820481.png
    1678239820481.png
    859.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Switch

Observer
Hey there!

- Brent

For larger meals I have two of these:
1678240519394.png

One griddle takes up two burners on my 3 burner Stansport 212-300 Outfitter Series 60K B.T.U. Output Propane Stove. The other griddle makes for a lid. And like the fajita skillets guarantees a hot meal every time.

I also made a 1" aluminum spacer that matches the shape of the edge:
1678241350370.png

It makes for a collapsible Dutch Oven.
1678241417541.png

I use machine screws to hold the lid in place.

and for storage I turn the "lid" around so it takes up 2" instead of 3":
1678241514897.png

[edit]
Oh crap, I just found out what an ADV rider is.

itllgrowback

I saw these recently at REI:
06d04e4e-1cda-4f82-8674-9547ee762192.jpg

They also have an 8" and I assume they'd stack really nicely. If they also had a nesting 2L pot, that might be an interesting set.

EDIT: They do have a 2-pot set that is compatible with the handles, but likely not nesting all together. https://www.rei.com/product/214274/...cepan-set-with-removable-handle-17-and-33-qts

Last edited:

itllgrowback

I went with the GSI Bugaboo Medium set, but we haven't used it yet. I love how packable it is, but I'm worried that it's too lightweight to stand up to serious use. We don't cook on open fire/coals - it's always on a propane burner, so we'll see.

bugaboo-base-camper-large-5-l-3-l-pots-cooking-equipment-trail-kitchens_2048x.jpg

Bbrreenntt

Hey Folks! I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses to my questions. It has been inspiring and has got me thinking! I am now in the beginning stages of starting a cookware company that specializes in making cookware specifically for overland and vehicle-based adventure travel. I messaged many of you directly, but I'd like to ask anyone that is interested to partake in my customer research survey. You can find it at this link. It should only take about 7 -10 min to complete, but it will be will provide endless value for me moving forward! Thanks for all your help and support!

Brent
www.gosocookware.com

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
10.5 inch cast iron (purchased at Goodwill in the late 1980's).

Most of our cooking is done over the fire, so all the gear is cast iron.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online