What's your favourite frying pan? Market Research

Bbrreenntt

Hey there!

I'm an avid ADV rider, Overlander and cook. I'm interested in what people are using to cook meals on when they are out camping! I'm a little frustrated with the cookware I've been using (GSI Pinnacle Frying Pan & MSR stainless pot set) and would like to bring to market a cookset that solves some of my issues. But I'd really like to know what people out here use and love already!

Could you tell me what pans/pots you currently use when cooking in the backcountry or camping?
Can you tell me about what works or do you love about your current equipment?
What are your main frustrations with your cookware?
What features would a dream frying pan or cookware set have for you?
Would you pay $80 for a new frying pan if it solved your camp cooking problems?

THANK YOU so much for your thoughts and opinions. I wholeheartedly appreciate your interest and input!

- Brent

1000arms

I'll answer your thread tile question "What's your favourite frying pan?". ... My extremely-smooth and well-seasoned cast iron frying pans! :)

I sanded them, cleaned them carefully with soap and water, dried them, and immediately began seasoning them They haven't seen soap since the cleaning of the iron dust from sanding. I only use vegetable-oil and paper-towel to clean them.

Yes, they have some weight, but they work very well! ... I find them worth the weight for my camping, but, everyone else will need to decide that for himself/herself. :)

Alloy

#6 or #7 Griswold. #6 has handle cut off for packing; use pot lifter or channellock. But d*mn they are getting expensive.

Yeah they are expensive. I put together a set (#7-#12) of 2nd Series Erie pans 8-10 years ago. We use the #9&10 when camping

Seing what a 3rd Series is going for I wonder if the pans are better off on the wall.

1000arms

Be cautious buying used cast iron. I've seen too many idiots melt lead in them.
"Be cautious buying used cast iron. I've seen too many idiots melt lead in them." ... Unfortunately, your point is well worth repeating. The danger is one many people might not think of.

Even cast iron dedicated to only being used for melting lead for fishing weights and/or casting bullets might not be known as such when the owner eventually dies.

Last edited:

Bbrreenntt

Cast iron and carbon steel. Carbon much thinner and faster to heat, but faster to lose heat and easier to warp. Seasons like cast. All of mine came from flea market/yard sales, and I think the most expensive was ten bucks.

Do you every use your carbon steel pan on the fire? I just bought a carbon steel pan this past summer to try out for camp cooking, and I'm hooked.

Bbrreenntt

#6 or #7 Griswold. #6 has handle cut off for packing; use pot lifter or channellock. But d*mn they are getting expensive.
Would you buy a pan that was made with a specialized handle that was removeable? Would you buy anything besides cast iron?

Thanks!

rgallant

Adventurer
@Bbrreenntt I use 2 cast iron pans one has a removal handle, the other just a short handle. Both came from family and work well, the removable handle is great for storage, and the cast iron fantastic for cooking. As to buying anything else, unlikely most "modern" pan materials do not stand up to offroad life they scratch and get damaged very easily compared to cast iron.

Kevin108

Explorer
I got a set as a gift a few years ago from a company called Neoflam. It is the most non-stick easy-clean set of cookware I've ever used.

itllgrowback

I got a notification that a post I made here days ago was deleted for "referral links", but I am not enrolled in any affiliate programs nor do I have any interest in doing so; I wonder if a mod could let me know how to avoid that in the future, or why other product links are still up but my post was deleted. I simply posted the link I had to the product I bought - anything else was unintentional and unknown to me.

Sorry for the hijack - no need to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94