What's your favourite camp chef meal?

bear100

Ok lets spice this up!

What is your go to overland camp chef ultimate favourite meal to cook?
feel free to share the recipe and method.

i use the coleman dual fuel twin stove, front runner cutlery set, various pans I've added over the years.

This is an easy to make hash and really hits the spot when the hunger hits, the only down side is trying to stop yourself eating all the corned beef!! :oops:
  • 750g potatoes,
  • 4 tbsp vegetable oil but can be any too like
  • 340g can of corned beef, cut into 2-3cm cubes
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 celery stick, chopped optional
  • ¼ tsp dried oregano
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce essential!
  • Handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
  • 4 fried eggs to serve (optional)
  • And a splash of what ever beer you have at hand (ladies this is essential)
  1. Cook the potatoes in a large pan of salted water for 10 minutes until just becoming tender but not breaking up too much. Drain well, then put the potatoes back in the pan to steam dry.
  2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan and fry the corned beef, turning, over a high heat until crisp and browned in patches. Set aside on a plate, then add 2 tbsp more oil to the pan. Add the onion, celery, oregano and a little salt and black pepper, then fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes until soft.
  3. Add the remaining oil to the frying pan, then gently stir in the potatoes. Season with a little salt, then turn up the heat and fry for 5-6 minutes, tossing from time to time, until crisp and golden.
  4. Add the corned beef back to the frying pan with the potatoes, mix well, then fry for a few minutes more until heated through. Season with Worcestershire sauce and more black pepper, a splash of beer then sprinkle with parsley. If you want to, serve with fried eggs for a more filling supper/breakfast also great with some hot buttered toast!

Attachments

• corned-beef-hash-768x960-1.jpg
    corned-beef-hash-768x960-1.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

bear100

269 views but no replies!.........i take take it they all enjoy a boil in the bag or a pot noodle!! :rolleyes:

NevetsG

Morning camp gruel. Oh it is a home cooked favorite too.

A mix of hash browns, beacon, sausage, eggs, cheese, with peppers, onions, and/or any other leftover veggie.

Sometimes make it for dinner.

chet6.7

Explorer
PA021055.JPG

Hot or cold.

bear100

Thanks for the replies!

So how do you make a Philly cheesesteak? its not a thing over here in the UK but a quick google and it sounds awesome!

Morning gruel! sound really good

ITTOG

I usually just make a sandwich, sorry. I prefer cooking at home. Sometimes, I'll make eggs for breakfast but camping isn't about food for me.
Same here, anything quick and easy. I don't want to be stuck behind a pan or plate when I am in the woods.

krick3tt

Adventurer
A meal I have had often and is easy for even me to make. Pound of stew meat sautéed in butter, diced potato, diced onion, diced red or green pepper, spices (whatever suits you), I use salt pepper and maybe a little tabasco after cooking.
Cook the potato, etc separately after the meat and add together in one pan. A glass of cabernet and some baguette, a seat around the fire and enjoy. Also quite fond of scrambled eggs with spam and peppers in the morning with my coffee.
Simple stuff to be sure but I am not a fancy guy. Going to try for french toast on my next trip.

stevo_pct

I like pan seared steak or fish. Tuna steaks are great, and filet mignon for the steak. I used a cast iron skillet on a coleman two burner stove.

Add pasta and/or vegetables cooked in a second pan to round out the meal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior