What's your favorite camping cook book?

Clay

Adventurer
I'm on a mission to add to my camping food section of my culinary library, and I was wondering if there were any camping related cook books that you enjoy.

Here's the one I'm fascinated with right now Outback Cooking in a Camp Oven by Jack & Reg Absalom. It's got some interesting things going on. I also have an old LL Bean game cook book that is pretty handy in the field.

What do you like and/or use?

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i like a book my mother-in-law got me a few years back,, its a forest service cookbook from recipes all through the past century with interesting factoids mixed in. "camp cookin (last 100 years)" by the national meuseum of forest service history.

suntinez

Explorer
ntsqd said:

Hilarious!! Wondering now how many bun warmers my Tundra has that Toyota never told me about. Reminds me of a time we used to cook our sandwiches by wrapping, then stuffing them in the grill of our radiator. Actually we cooked a lot of stuff on that radiator.

I might just have to buy this - thanks! :xxrotflma :xxrotflma :xxrotflma

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Note the prices. It's been out of print for some time. I was fortunate enough to have been given a copy for Xmas years ago. Blows my mind what folks are willing to pay for it.

DaveM

Explorer
I've always found the few "camp" cookbooks I've flipped through to be kinda boring. The truth is a lot of standard recipes from normal cookbooks make perfect camp food. Pretty much any long cooking braise or stew is a good match for camp cooking. A lot of the prep work can be done at home before leaving and when you get to camp you just fire up the coals and put it all together. it's very little work and everybody there with canned beans and corned beef hash will think your a god.

On a side note, I LOVE corned beef and hash when camping! :D

Clay

Adventurer
I totally agree with you Dave, most are pretty boring. That's most of the reason I put this post up, to see if anyone had any interesting books.

We've got a couple here so far, any one else?

DontPanic42

Adventurer
This may be a bit from left field but I have found some great simple recipes to use in camp from Nigella Lawson's series of cookbooks or cookery books as the Brits would say. Her apple, mustard pork steak from Nigella Express has only about 5 ingredients including salt and pepper, is quick and tasty. Add a bit of garlic pasta and you have a real meal.

fisher205

Explorer
A real good read is "The On & Off the Road Cookbook" by Carl Franz & Lorena Havens. :26_7_2: :26_7_2: Great illustrations, good humor, I keep it in the camper and just for fun reading. Brad

Hi to All!

I just got Fix It In Foil... For Ovens, Grills and Campfires. Some of the usual - chicken and veggies (yawn) but some "off the wall" like Eggs in an Orange Shell or Tomato and Chicken Tortellini. The ISBN is 978-1-56383-260-4.

Helena

gypsydebs

After years of working on the road and eating crap food I sat down and wrote a cookbook - mainly based on ingredients you can (or rather cannot get) in West Africa.

This came after been served the worse meal in history - a 1.25lt can of tomato concentrate poured straight over pasta (which was so overcooked we had to cut it!)!

It is amazing what you can cook in the great outdoors, all it takes is a bit of planning into kitchen equipment, basic ingredients and time.

Now I am based in East Africa options are endless. I do everything from homemade lasagna (can buy lasagna sheets or make own), fillet steak wrapped in bacon cooked over an open fire, roasts to pig on the spit.

One entree which people are most amazed about is a camp version of fried camembert cheese.

take a packet of laughing cow (happy cow or processed cheese individually wrapped in little triangles)
- take the wrapping off and dip in egg then roll in breadcrumbs and straight into hot oil. Fry quickly on both sides (just enough to heat through). serve with cranberry jelly (or mixed fruit jam) on a bed of lettuce with a few slices of baguette or toast.

Tastes just like camembert but as it is processed you can keep the cheese without refrigerating it for months. And noone knows it is not camembert cheese!

The cookbook is basic but it is what I have cooked over the years for groups of up to 30 people mostly on open fire. to download go to http://www.africaexpeditionsupport.com/exp_sup.htm

on the right hand side column is a link to the cookbook.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
gypsydebs said:
After years of working on the road and eating crap food I sat down and wrote a cookbook - mainly based on ingredients you can (or rather cannot get) in West Africa.

This came after been served the worse meal in history - a 1.25lt can of tomato concentrate poured straight over pasta (which was so overcooked we had to cut it!)!

It is amazing what you can cook in the great outdoors, all it takes is a bit of planning into kitchen equipment, basic ingredients and time.

Now I am based in East Africa options are endless. I do everything from homemade lasagna (can buy lasagna sheets or make own), fillet steak wrapped in bacon cooked over an open fire, roasts to pig on the spit.

One entree which people are most amazed about is a camp version of fried camembert cheese.

take a packet of laughing cow (happy cow or processed cheese individually wrapped in little triangles)
- take the wrapping off and dip in egg then roll in breadcrumbs and straight into hot oil. Fry quickly on both sides (just enough to heat through). serve with cranberry jelly (or mixed fruit jam) on a bed of lettuce with a few slices of baguette or toast.

Tastes just like camembert but as it is processed you can keep the cheese without refrigerating it for months. And noone knows it is not camembert cheese!

The cookbook is basic but it is what I have cooked over the years for groups of up to 30 people mostly on open fire. to download go to http://www.africaexpeditionsupport.com/exp_sup.htm

on the right hand side column is a link to the cookbook.

Your cookbook looks like it's filled with all kinds of tastie ideas. Thanks for the link and offering to share it. :chowtime:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94