What's your dream sleep system?

Ragman

Some good info here for someone that is still using their decades old Therm A Rest classic, same vintage sleeping bags etc in my ground tent. Honestly I actually sleep pretty well and the biggest change for me is a portable power system to power my CPAP. I have been looking at possibly upgrading to something different so this is interesting.

ITTOG

I am pretty easy to please based on some of the responses. I am good with my megapad, one sleeping bag, and my silks down to 0F. I would like an easy catheter attachment that goes outside my sleeping bag so I don't have to leave my sleeping bag at night. Also, some sort of regenerating hot hands for my feet every night. Fix those challenges and I would be a happy camper.

elizer

I use the kelty Doublewide. Amazing. I have two for my westy. Ill have one for my trailer. IU leave them not packed up because they are bulky when stowed.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
I put my sleep system together with support, comfort and ergonomics being highly prioritised

A Helinox Cot One Converible with Cot Leg Extension Kit forms the base, with the leg extension kit setting the bed at the perfect height for sitting on, and getting into, and out of.

The leg extension kit also provides considerable under bed storage capacity.

A Multimat Expedition Summit 12XL foam sleeping mat with a Thermarest NeoAir XTherm Max Sleeping Pad atop forms my bed set up.

My Snugpak Softie 15 Discovery sleeping bag and Snugpak Snuggy Headrest pillow make up my sleeping set up, with a silk sleeping bag liner and an eVent Bivvy Bag in case low temperatures make it necessary.

This is the most comprehensive sleeping system I've ever put together, though age and injuries made support, comfort and ergonomics the priority, and I don't want to be cold, so my choices reflect that.

My down sleeping bag replaces my cold weather Softie for warmer weather, other than that, this is what works well for me.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey there!

Our first product is a 2 person quilt that is much warmer than other camp blankets (other brands would rate it at 15F / -9C) , and much less constricting than sleeping bags. Premium quality and no cold spots.

** What would you most like to see designed specifically for your setup and the conditions you sleep in? **

Brainstorming some new ideas for products, whether it’s pillows, sheets, mattresses, “pillowtops”, expanding our quilt line with synthetics or other temps, colors, etc.

For our family setup, we’ve been stoked on our GFC platform mattress and hoverquilt, good on its own til about 30-35F ( 0C ), sometimes when it gets into super cold temps below freezing I add in a 15F or 0F sleeping bags I worked on in my old jobs. For now we use regular down pillows from home, although I might have something up my sleeve for a deluxe packable camp pillow ?. Kiddos usually steal the camper and my wife and I and pup sleep in the truck bed or a ground tent.

Thanks!

Plenty don't have the noisy slick material on the people side of the quilt. I makes noise everytime you move and is chilly against skin resulting in the need for a sheet.

Pillows are tough because you want fluffy support that packs. I still have not found a great pillow setup.

My wife gets cold feet so I might get one of those quilts with foot boxes.

We have a poptop van and I use an Exped over the factory 3in foam. That is all coming out to have an aluminum frame/floor replace the wood bed and 2 layers of different density foam. I like the idea of everything staying in the poptop when it closes (same for RTT)

Pillows, yeah that is the thing I am hunting right now.

PSea

The megamat by exped is close

Something along those lines but sizes for the rtt

The Kelly double sleeping bag is freaking awesome but needs a neck baffle desperately as well as a way to connect the “middle” quilt wing thingys. They are also cold to the edges and foot box. Many tents the outside rain flap zips down the sides but not along the bottom which allows wind and cold to sneak up and in and without extra layer toes get chilly. Snugpak has a killer synthetic in their special forces bag and jungle blankets. Super compressible and water resistant shells for worst case scenario ive toyed with calling incessantly until somebody made me a Kelty bag out of their materials. Lol

Kelty bag s called tri comfort and it fits a 3 person tent perfectly! Withthe zips on the top you can get in and out of the bag easy without waking your mate but again no neck baffle to keep the farts in and the cold out I end up stuffing a woobie in there for the win. Head pocket is perfect for holding pillows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
have owned the kelty double bag for a year now. LOVE IT. disagree it's cold at the edges. Love the added layer that can be pushed aside. Agree that it would be nice if the two inner panels could be attached.

ironically, just got an exped megamat lite lxw. looking forward to using it.

If I’m going light ‘n fast, think moto camping or setting up in a different location every day, my setup includes:
  • Tent: Sea To Summit Telos 3p (just received this in the mail)
  • Cot: Helinox Cot One
  • Pad: Nemo Quasar 3d, wide/long, insulated
  • Sleeping Bag: Feather Friends, down semi-rectangular, 30’ and/or…
  • Pillow: (2) ThermaRest, Compressible Pillows, Large.

If I’m car camping my setup remains the same with the exception of increasing the size of the tent and cot to:
  • Tent: REI Basecamp 6
  • Cot: Helinox Cot Max w/legs

dbhost

I have posted in the past here but will restate some issues I have to deal with. For starters I am considered morbidly obese. No I do not sit on my tail eating twinkies all day. I've got spinal issues and a metabolism that went to hades as soon as I turned 30. I am under a doctors care and working on the issues, trying to avoid surgery. But for now, I need a sleep system that will support my back properly, AND put up with my weight.

My wife and I love to camp and travel as it ramps activity way up while keeping pain more or less at bay.

For MY situation, I use an instant up cabin tent, with a poly tarp under the floor after throroughly checking the tent pad sit to make sure no pokey things.

Once the tarp is down, the tent is up, I lay down an RV mat INSIDE the tent to separate the floor from the bed. The Tent floor is 10x14, the RV mat I think is 9x12 so not a perfect fit, but it works...

Next I use a pair of heavy duty, 550lb capacity rated twin double high air mattresses by Etekcity. I have a king fitted sheet that binds them into an effectively split king. I also carry a spare mattress and patch kits just in case... And I have a Coleman 4D pump for being off grid when I can't use the built in pump...

With the shelter and beds set up, time to put bedding on. Typically I use a layered approach based on a pair of Coleman King sized sleeping bags, and about 4 king size mexican blankets bought at various points through Mexico. If I recall right, Nuevo Progresso, Cancun, somewhere else in Quintana Roo that I simply don't recall. We stopped for lunch going to Xcaret... and I think the last, well actually first since I am going in reverse chronology, Nogales...

If you don't have Mexican blankets, I encourage you to go buy them the old fashioned way. In Mexico...

But I digress...

The mattress for my side has to provide more support so I pump it up almost as firm as it will go. My wife likes her side squishy...

For anything over about 68 degrees I actually use just a flannel flat sheet for a blanket. Kind of the same thing I do at home...

And yes I DO bring and use a pillow. I've got a basic memory foam rectangle pillow, not one of those funny curved ones, that I use for my lower back on the drive, and it works great for at home...

MY DREAM SYSTEM:

For me, I want to build a custom wide camper shell / platform bed that will handle a king size mattress, and an 8" RV short king Memory foam mattress (F150 with a 6.5 foot bed). Again actual sheets and my Coleman sleeping bags / Mexican blankets. There is a theme going on here...

Last edited:

dstefan

Something like this, but better quality and design.
— removable pad cinch cords
— two layers of quilting that zip together on one side. Inner layer for summer good to an honest 45°. Top layer that when flipped over and zipped good to an honest 20°.
— better neck and shoulder baffle.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I would like a pad like the ExPed MegaMat Duo 10M, but longer, slightly narrower, and thinner. Currently, they are a short 72", fat 41" wide, and thick 3.9". I think a 2.5" thickness, 80x38 would be the bomb. Comfortable, portable, and big enough for Americans, without being so big you can't fit two of them in a standard 4 person camp tent. I would also add velcro the pad and velcro to something like a NEMO Fillow so that the pillow stays in place at the head!

AERONAUT outdoor

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Plenty don't have the noisy slick material on the people side of the quilt. I makes noise everytime you move and is chilly against skin resulting in the need for a sheet.

Pillows are tough because you want fluffy support that packs. I still have not found a great pillow setup.

My wife gets cold feet so I might get one of those quilts with foot boxes.

We have a poptop van and I use an Exped over the factory 3in foam. That is all coming out to have an aluminum frame/floor replace the wood bed and 2 layers of different density foam. I like the idea of everything staying in the poptop when it closes (same for RTT)

Pillows, yeah that is the thing I am hunting right now.

I love the idea of the ultimate pillow - working on some fun designs now!

Errant

Explorer
As for pillows, the Feathered Friends Geoduck is my fav when backpacking. RTT or in the car, I use the down pillows from my bed. Tent camping, it's the large Klymit Drift.

AERONAUT outdoor

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
As for pillows, the Feathered Friends Geoduck is my fav when backpacking. RTT or in the car, I use the down pillows from my bed. Tent camping, it's the large Klymit Drift.
I dig it, those are really solid options! I'm thinking of something pretty modular, and can adjust height for side sleepers, supportive for back sleepers, etc. But in any position have a good amount of down for comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles