Read the Autoweek article about the Hemi Wrangler
with OME lift and 35" tires here
http://tinyurl.com/p22t9

Read about the conversion kit here
http://www.aev-conversions.com/Vehicle_HEMI.html

Chip Haven

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
The long wheel base wrangler used to be on my wish list from them, then they came out with the unlimited.

I have been following AEV, since the late 1990's, they do awesome work!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
AEV does nice work. They also charge a nice (for them) price. I have seen about 10 or 12 of their TJ hemi conversions. Personally, I will keep the 4.0, even if the conversion was free. I like making 80% of the torque at idle....makes for a very controllable vehicle while crawling around the rocks, while still being "acceptable" at freeway speeds.

haven

Expedition Leader
torque is good

The Jeep 4.0L straight 6 makes about 180 lb-ft of torque at idle. The 5.7L hemi (which is a truck engine from a Durango, not the hemi used in Dodge cars) is rated near 300 lb-ft at idle, more than 50% more. The AEV package weighs only 60 lbs more than the stock 4.0L.

That extra torque means you don't have to re-gear when you add taller tires. You might need new axles, however!

AEV claims to have created the long-wheelbase Wrangler that inspired Jeep to build the Unlimited, as well as a more rugged off-road Wrangler than inspired the Rubicon. Maybe this Hemi will inspire Jeep once again.

Chip Haven

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
I will take the Brute with a I-6 4.0L, you can keep the Hemi TJ.
Personally after owning 3 vehicles with the straight 6, I would always choose this engine. The engine never dies, when maintained properly. Also it is one of the easiest gas engines to work on. Better MPG and cleaner running then the Hemi. Finally do you really need that much power in a TJ?

YJ Dave

Observer
While the power and grunt would be fun to have, the MPG of the Hemi make me want to stay with the 4.0. But that's just me.

If they made a Al block CRD and put it into a Wrangler, I would be near the front of the line to get one.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I6 engines drive and wheel better to me than any V-configuration. They have particular characteristics of torque rise that make them great off-hwy engines. Many V-config'd engines have a greater bore than stroke making a faster HP rise vs. a sustainable flat torque curve with an overstroked engine.

Now, suprisingly, the 4.0 Jeep engine is an overbored engine...I had no idea until I just looked that up! That's probably why they can pull near 190bhp out of it... The 4.5l Toyota I6 (1FZ) is also overbored, but that's a different topic.

Anyway, inline engines will always have their following due to the characteristics of torque and HP throughout their RPM ranges vs those of the V-config'd, regardless of the discreet lb-ft/hp numbers.

Scott Brady

Founder
A can see this being a fun solution in a 100" + WB Unlimited. In a 93" WB Wrangler, it would be "lively". I would classify these as toys for those with big bank accounts, not anything necessary for OHV travel IMHO.

I would rather invest the cash in their Brute, which is VERY nice.
P1010115.jpg

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The new fuel systems DC is using on some of the hemi's will actually get better milage than the 4.0. MUCH better. Like 35% better.

I've taken v-8's, v-6's, I-6's and I-4's off road. My preference, for the style of off road travel I enjoy most, in a SWB wrangler, I prefer the strait 6. I gain nothing in capability with a hemi, and lose simplicity and reliability of downstream components. That's me, and my circumstances. Your results may vary.

haven

Expedition Leader
brute and gladiator

I guess AEV can claim their Brute inspired the 2005 Jeep Gladiator show truck, too.

112_05_detas_jeep_glad02_z.jpg

The Gladiator is rumored to have the green light for production in 2007, probably as a 2008 model. I wonder if this is the platform that Earthroamer is looking to use for their second model, a smaller, more off-road-capable camper.

Hey Scott, the Gladiator even has a door for your slide-out refrigerator

112_05_detas_jeep_glad05_z.jpg

Chip Haven

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
AEV claims alot of things......but if that door is big enough for a fridge to slide through...that would be SWEET!!! I think someone needs to call DC and let them know how big we want it.:p

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Why on earth isn't the Gladiator in showrooms? They would sell as many as they could make. Sometimes I just don't understand the automotive industry.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Regarding inline sixes: They are one of the few engine designs that have perfect primary and secondary balance. That's partly why they are generally so long-lived, and can idle at such low revs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier