What's unique about this 1978 International Scout Traveller?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Today I went and purchased a 1978 Scout Traveller. 304, automatic, Dana 44's front and rear, traction-lok, Power steering, Power disc brakes, add on A/C, Removable fiberglass top with hatch, step bumper, chrome package and more. Bought in Manchester TN which is the hometown of the original purchaser. Has the original Line Sheet and Window Sticker.

Pics of the Scout Traveller will follow HOWEVER take a look at the original Line Sheet and original Window Sticker and see what's unique about this very special 1978 Scout Traveller!

20200516_151803[1].jpg20200516_151749[1].jpg

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Wonder why it was shipped in the USA as a RHD?

Aussie, Kiwi or British services base near to the original dealer?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Ordered at the selling dealer in Fayetteville TN by a Rural Route Mail Carrier!

I purchased this Scout Traveller from the second owner. It's been in the Manchester/Tullahoma TN area since purchased new. The original owner had a rural mail route!

It needs a complete restoration however it's totally complete and fairly loaded with a 304 V8, Automatic Transmission, Power Steering and disc brakes, Dana 44's front and rear, traction-lok, A/C, rear step bumper, chrome package, rear seat, fiberglass removable hardtop with hatch, original hubcaps and more.

MSRP was $8597.50.

That was damn near Corvette money in 1978!

Attachments

• scout 2.jpg
    scout 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 78
  • scout 3.jpg
    scout 3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 77
  • scout 4.jpg
    scout 4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 80
  • scout 7.jpg
    scout 7.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 86
  • scout 9.jpg
    scout 9.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 86
  • scout 11.jpg
    scout 11.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

toddz69

Explorer
One of my neighbors when I was growing up in Prescott, AZ, was a mail carrier and had a RHD 4x4 Scout II (his was an '80, iirc). It was a nice rig at the time - only a few years old - I wonder whatever happened to it.

Congrats on your purchase!

Todd Z.

Explorerinil

Observer
My neighbor purchased a new RHD Jeep just a couple
years ago as he is a rural route mail carrie. you can still get them.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Scout owner here as well- I have a 1970 SR2.

What an awesome find. Very custom, too. Not a fan of RHD but that patina is **************! Enjoy the loads of work heading your way!

1stDeuce

Explorer
Our mailman had a RHD scout when I was a kid. It was probably a mid-late 70's unit, and it was rusted to crap by the time I was old enough to remember it. Pretty cool find with the orig paperwork!!!

billiebob

I would say its gone postal but the chrome and 304 rule out postal service.
I loved the postal CJs with the sliding doors.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I would say its gone postal but the chrome and 304 rule out postal service.
I loved the postal CJs with the sliding doors.
Mail carriers use their own vehicles in rural areas, not government vehicles. I am sure this was orderd by a postal worker originally, as you were not allowed to order RHD without proving employment by the USPS. Pretty big commitment to order a RHD vehicle for your job, eh? :)

85_Ranger4x4

Many Mail Carriers buy their own vehicle.
Presently factory RHD Jeeps and Subaru stationwagons are popular, as are various RHD converted minivans and sedans.
Btw, most of those conversions are quite rudimentry.

My brother put a kit in a Escape a few years ago.

He hated doing that to a new car...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Scout owner here as well- I have a 1970 SR2.

What an awesome find. Very custom, too. Not a fan of RHD but that patina is **************! Enjoy the loads of work heading your way!

Interesting!

The RHD is the reason I purchased the Scout. If the truck were LHD it would be just another old Scout needing a resto and I would have not purchased it.

Different strokes for different folks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles