What's the right LIft and Tire Size for Gladiator Rubicon

MrWiggles

Hi all,

I just picked up a Gladiator Rubicon and I am wondering how to set it up. I'm more of an overlander than crawler, but I do spend a lot of time in the Rockies. I will be putting a rack and my James Baroud tent on. I'll also carrying all the standard gear for a few days in the wilderness including a fridge, water, fuel, etc. I may one day move into a topper like the AT Habitat or Summit.

For lifts I was debating between the Mopar 2.5" and the AEV 2.5" Dual Sport RT lift (though I am open to suggestions).

I'm also debating between 35" and 37" tires. It seems like a lot of the Gladiator people I speak with (particularly those w/ Rubicons) are going w/ 37". I'd like to do a 37" for clearance but I'm also worried about drive quality and reliability. I'd love to know the group's thoughts and experiences. Has anyone done 37"s without a regear or upgrades like axles and ball joints?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Goatdog

I went Mopar 2.5" and 35"s. But mine is also a daily driver and 37"s have an increased risk of driveline issues. Others will say that I'm Chicken Little. I'm happy with my choices.
de3d24b7a4cbc5444155d47c7d26177b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MrWiggles

I went Mopar 2.5" and 35"s. But mine is also a daily driver and 37"s have an increased risk of driveline issues. Others will say that I'm Chicken Little. I'm happy with my choices.
de3d24b7a4cbc5444155d47c7d26177b.jpg

nice truck! Did you change the wheels out or do 35s fit stock?

Superduty

Adventurer
I think for purposes of overlanding and trail use 35s or even 33s will do most anything, unless of course we start talking about rock crawling. For aesthetics I believe 37s look great on gladiators.

billiebob

theres always this
6a7a2c58c592b445dbc244c5db42b869.jpg

PS, Jeep spends MILLIONS $$$$$$ on research and development, I think they got it right.
Then the aftermarket spends MILLIONS $$$$$$ trying to convince you they got it wrong.
So you spend ....... Just empty every pocket...... and every mod leads to another mod.
Cuz every "upgrade" degrades and weakens the part you never changed.

No doubt, theWrangler is todays hotrod. Built to be modified but those mods, lifts etc are all use specific.
If you are asking what "Lift Tire Size for YOUR Jeep, ????
First ya need to drive it.

PS if you are adding weight above the roof.... ie RTT.... ie raising the C of G..., the last thing you should do is lift it.

Last edited:

billiebob

If you bought a Gladiator, the wheelbase already killed your breakover clearance. You could do a 6" lift and 40s and a stock JT will have more capability. Unless you want to crawl the malls, just drive it. And when you find you NEED a lift, bigger tires just do it....., But understand you are increasing the stress on everything left stock.

billiebob

IF you must, 10% changes tend to be within Jeeps stock parameters. So 2"-3" lift, 33s are reasonable if yer ego says you MUST do it. But honestly I'd rather follow the big boys on their highly modded Gladiators and drive to the same place in my stock Jeep

Goatdog

nice truck! Did you change the wheels out or do 35s fit stock?
35's fit the stock wheels. They also fit without a lift with no rubbing but I like the look with a Mopar 2". The 35" spare fits in the original spot too. I have dual batteries, solar, Decked system, Ham, gmrs, etc. I have it setup to tow behind my RV so I can overland when out west.

As for capabilities and comments about breakover...it goes the same places I took my 2 door JK Rubicon and still take my 4 door JL. I didn't buy it to fit anyone else's needs. A Gladiator, bone stock, is still far more ready to tackle the off road than 99% of the other cars out there. It'll do.
9b3e9bfe4d409924d50c23f60f03efa1.jpg
3c06e4a20b3f04102dbd1e8843b1a3f1.jpg
aca1c444f9a93b071055127d5908224e.jpg
1a864707e1530394ac41b06eb0762de3.jpg
d2c198795dc444937285a376df07a001.jpg
4b47de116064073e0a4980e205cea38a.jpg
1b45232f1b1c2edbedcc947f35c22f1d.jpg
8792589be7cdc370900aa811c2758afb.jpg
eaf3d806683c93f95de072d3771bcbc3.jpg

79a202a792b706d5c5c49ef88a9cb96d.jpg

2db596a0e65ff091d41e2aab8af96957.jpg

Last edited:

MrWiggles

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

Just to clarify, I am fairly experienced in both overlanding and Jeeps (I've owned/own 2 wranglers in addition to an Outback, Crosstrek, LR4, ZR2, and LC 200). I am new to the Gladiator, and the past I have found value in asking the community about what has worked well for them. A lot of times you will find a person with a similar setup/use case who has found the sweet spot (or has horror stories) which gives a better hypothesis to start with than just guessing.

I understand that in a lot of cases you can get an outback, or civic up a trail, but not in my case, particularly with cargo. I agree that the best approach is to take the vehicle out and see what it needs. I have. For my use case, I objectively know I need a lift and tires. I also need stiffer setup in the back to better handle weight and improve the driving (I prefer it stiffer). I know about weight, payload, etc. I understand the nuance of keeping weight down, and I have a very minimalist set that comes in well under 1200lbs, but still experienced sagging and limited suspension travel in the stock setup.

I am researching comments by Matt Scott about his Gladiator's rear shocks on the factory lift. He has replaces every component on the MOPAR lift except the springs (https://expeditionportal.com/the-20000-mile-jeep-gladiator-review/), but he is also close to GVWR, which I don't intend to be. I am asking for experiences with either the factory or AEV lifts, and it is nice to know that 35's fit the stock wheels, and that the spare will also fit (thanks Goatdog).

Does anyone have experience with the AEV lifts, particularly with moderate weight? Any other lifts I should consider people have found reliable?

200 Jeep Gladiator GROOT is its name! i am running BFG 37x12.5 on mehtod race 703s? with a metal cloak lift 3 inches Here is my story
I decided to switch to the galdaitor after jsut freak situatin in my JLUR where the stuck and i could get towed to the dealer due to covid I eneded up driving 2o miles 1/4 mile at a time aand was afraif i warped my head. So gator green gladiator
At first all I ddi was beside put a rebel bedrack on was switch directly to 37s there was no rubbing even on trails until I went over a deep (3ft ) swale tha crossed up the axels then it rubbed. So idecided to r go withthe metal claok lift it is a not an over the top lift by any means really just 3 iinches. I drive from near Yosemtite to san deigo every week, onthe way Iusually take a small detour to drive Ralphs ranch road. Can't help It is named after me LOL.Not! still running stock gears 410 get 14 -16 running 75 -85 mph on the trip ZIm my humble opion based upon my person experince you can run 37 without a lift if you are stickking to reasonbly mild to slighlty moderate trails. if you start moving your axels the a lift is inorder. Now some 37s fit inthe spre some don't check out gladiator forum The bfg do. here is my tuck Groot!Groot.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles