Whats the difference between jerry fuel and water cans?

KingSlug

Observer
I have found a few surplus wedco type jerry cans used for water, when compared to my other jerry cans there looks to be no difference even the pn is the same, except for a small paint stencil that says water. Is there? Well, I did find one difference the water cans had a orange seals and the fuel cans have a black ones, I just haven't seen orange seals before.

Is it ok to carry fuel in a water can if its not imprinted or signed water? The coating appears to be the same on both.

Jared

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I think the cans made specifically for H2O have a different coating on the inside, food grade or something.
Jason T.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I don't know about the Wedco brand, but my NATO water cans have a larger spout than the fuel cans. Same style, just larger spout.
fuel-water.jpg

Last edited:

xpdishn

Adventurer
Agree with all of the above. Also, it is never a good idea to start switching liquids in labeled cans or containers.

KingSlug

Observer
Nope, these have the same opening at the NATO fuel cans. But as in the pic has the white paint and W stencil.

So can I use them exclusively as fuel cans or will the lining fail and clog my carb?

Jared

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Nope, these have the same opening at the NATO fuel cans. But as in the pic has the white paint and W stencil.

So can I use them exclusively as fuel cans or will the lining fail and clog my carb?

Jared

In theory the food grade plastic will dissolve into the fuel.

As you are running a Series Land Rover it will just act as an octane booster :sombrero:

jeeperaz

Observer

Jared

I've used mine with diesel fuel for over a year...plus there always remains some remnant fuel in them. No problems thus far. The lining looks good as new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles