What's the best way to cut 1/4-1/2" thick rubber mats?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
What's the best way to cut 1/4-1/2" thick rubber mats? I have one I need to make an 18-20" cut on to split it in two pieces.
I also need to drill a couple of 3/8" holes in it. I'm thinking a tiny hole saw is the way to go if they make one that small. :Wow1: Any suggestions?

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I would try a jigsaw for the straighter cuts and a hole saw for the smaller round ones. I don't think they make hole saw bits below about 1/2" though. I could be wrong.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
You can use a circular saw with a good sharp blade and go slow so the blade doesn't heat up the rubber and get sticky. I thin the courser the blade the better...
Darrell

If they are just rubber a heavy duty hot wire cutter might work good. The sawzall might be a good choice to but I'd suggest a wood bit because it'll cut more before it heats up too much. If its not too tough even a utility knife would work. Sheet metal shears would probably work as well. As for the holes instead of drilling you could use a punch like a peace to metal tubing and a hammer. That would be the cleanest way to do the holes.

keezer37

Explorer
Utility knife and a pack of new blades and gloves for protection.

If you use any type of power saw, I'd sandwich the rubber between some wood. I tried a jigsaw when cutting my mudflaps from NAPA truck flaps (1/4"), the saw blade just makes the rubber bounce (vibrate) up and down. I believe the same would be true for a sawzall. A circular saw, at a minimum, you would gum up the blade and I would even be concerned with safety here. Hence my comment about sandwiching it between wood to keep it stable.

A utility knife worked good and was easier than I thought.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
SHARP utility blade and a metal straight edge is the best way I've found.

A coworker of mine who is a former truck driver & has had to do this before suggested...
1) Use a fresh AKA sharp utility knife (because they're cheap, tough, and disposable once they dull)
2) Bend the cutting area over an edge so as the blade cuts through the rubber, the edges pull apart rather than fold back in creating more drag on the blade.

Will try it in the next few days.:)

Last edited:

DCH109

Adventurer
Also i have used Large metal shears, no issues when cutting up my mat. As for drilling a hole, on a small piece, try a drill bit. Depending on how hard the rubber is this may work out fine.
Mine were the type used as isolators for machinery had the fiber threads thought. Tough rubber, and the drill bit worked great..

A coworker of mine who is a former truck driver & has had to do this before suggested...
1) Use a fresh AKA sharp utility knife (because they're cheap, tough, and disposable once they dull)
2) Bend the cutting area over an edge so as the blade cuts through the rubber, the edges pull apart rather than fold back in creating more drag on the blade.

I just had to cut some heavy duty rubber floormats at work... that method works. Use a straight edge and a heat gun if you have it. That'll make the process easier.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer

X2. This what worked best for me

Sent via fat thumb

CYi5

Explorer
I cut a piece of conveyor belt up with a sawzall + metal blade for my swing out latch pad. Cuts like butter as usual ;).

off-roader

Expedition Leader

Thanks for everyone's help. My coworker's suggestion worked perfectly. Couldn't find my utility knife so I ended up using one of the flimsier utility knives that has those blades that have break away sections every 3/16". Still I had no issues whatsoever.

Cutting some 1/2" solid bar square stock afterwards was an issue since i couldnt find the wrench needed for removing the used up cutoff wheel from my angle grinder. The old wheel didnt have enough left to cut the bar stock.

Oh well, guess the project will have to wait...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles