Whats the best way to attach fenders to a DIY trailer?

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I've got my trailer almost done and need to attach the fenders. I had thought I should bolt them on and started to go that direction but kind of got lost at that point.

Here I've got the supports tacked on and the fender is being supported by a few jacks for spacing. You can see the fenders extend about 6" below each fender support.

yNrPDgNl.jpg

What is the best way to attach the fender to the supports and to the tub for rigidity and strength? Bolt on or weld them on? What should be done with the fender that is below the support? Chop it? Trim it and fold it and bolt it?

There isn't much chatter about this topic that I could find here. Lots of guys do what they do but don't explain the reasoning behind it. I could use some insight.

Thanks.

mmuthart

Observer
I don't have any great close-ups but you get the idea...

I welded my fenders to the bottom edge of the supports. For the top edge of the supports, I closed the gap with two sections of tube and welded them to the fenders and the supports. I didn't attach my fenders to the side of my trailer. They have been perfectly sturdy; I stand on them often.

Definitely position your fenders higher so your tires don't rub when the suspension moves up.

You can find more pics of my fenders in the build thread in my signature.

Attachments

• KampBuild9_19_6.jpg
    KampBuild9_19_6.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 32
  • FinFrame_3.JPG
    FinFrame_3.JPG
    956.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

croix

Observer
I don't think there's much chatter because I don't think there is just one right way to do it. There are certain things that you have to consider like making sure there is enough clearance for your tires to travel, and having enough coverage over the tire to eliminate spray, but beyond that it is largely cosmetic - what you think looks good and how well it fits your design.
Looking at your mockup, I would probably trim everything below the supports, but that's just my opinion. Welding across the bottom of the supports will leave a v shaped gap between the fender and the support that will fill with dirt and pine needles and anything else that fits. I would try to find a way to weld to the top of the supports and use seam sealer if necessary.
With regard to attaching to the body, it kind of depends on what you need. If you want to be able to stand on the fender, you may need to weld some pretty significant support to the body and fender. If all you want to do is keep the fenders from rattling all over and rubbing the body then a couple of L brackets riveted/screwed in place may do the trick. I used a couple of cheap shelf brackets on mine; riveted to the fender and screwed to the body. This allows me to remove the body if necessary. I can't stand on mine, but they will support some pretty good weight - and mine are just home-bent 18ga sheet.
Good luck,
-croix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior