What's the best suspension/airbags to use with camper?

svinyard

I have an F250 and getting a camper that's about 1950lbs Wet. I'm not sure which suspension solution is the best to help with the weight. Ideally I'd like my truck suspension to still work well when I don't have the camper on it too.

I've heard StabiLoads and Trimben Bumpstops are helpful. They basically preload your bottom out springs to engage more and help with the weight.

I've also heard that airbags are better. I've been told that those can be fit with an automatic air compressor+remote. Having a compressor that allows me to tap into with a separate hose to air up tires or blow out the camper floor sounds nice. I think all that plus installation is going to run me about 1100$, which isnt cheap.

Any advice? thanks

Lance990

Observer
Does your truck have an upper overload spring? If it does, I have found it is best to beef up the upper overload spring pack. I had my spring shop add a 4-leaf upper overload to my old '97 F350 DRW. It worked much better than the StabiLoads. They kept breaking on my truck. My '07 F350 DRW has the Firestone Ride Rite air bags with the Air Command system. It has a 2 gallon air tank and a heavy duty air compressor along with a port for using it to inflate truck tires. Each airbag can be controlled individually or together using a wireless remote. I can also use the airbags to help level the camper on uneven campsites. Airbags and Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks really improve the ride comfort when hauling my 3,800 lbs camper. My truck had airbags when I bought it so I installed the Firestone Air Command system myself. When not hauling the camper, I drop the shocks down to the 1 setting and lower the airbags to 5 PSI (won't go any lower) and the truck rides great for a 1 ton. It is a pricey system but the convenience is hard to beat.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
A Hellwig swaybar will enhance highway handling without compromising the ride. Different story off highway. You'll have to disconnect one side or just go slower. Airbags simply elevate and level the load,basically inflated bumpstops. The Sumosprings intrigue me as they advertise as having more give to them. There's reservoir adjustable shocks out now where you can dial in the ride to your satisfaction. A 2.0 reservoir adjustable shock might be perfect for you. The reservoir will bleed off heat when in use. A 1950# wet camper is pretty light. My Northstar TC800 popup weighs 2200# wet.

tanuki.himself

I fitted a set of contintental airbags from a Dutch supplier to my Ford Ranger last night - took me about 3 hours and didnt even need me to jack the truck up or anything more complicated than a socket set - no drilling required. maybe someone in the US makes a kit for the bigger Ford that is as easy....i've just gone for the basic kit that I can manually alter with the 12v pump i already carry for tyres, etc

One reason i went for air bags is so that i can try to level the camper if I have an uneven load, and alter the ride height depending on whether it is full of gear with full water tanks or empty going into storage - all the other options seem to be fixed and equal both sides

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I've used Airlift brand bag systems on three different trucks/truck campers and never had a single problem. I'm sure the same can be said about the other brands. Just install them correctly, keep the correct amount of air in them loaded and/or unloaded and they just work. My 97 K2500 airbags are over 20 years old and still working. I also put a set on our Tiger camper with great results. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz