What's in your spare parts box?

Dipodomys

Observer
So here's the question: What's in your spare parts box? What parts have failed you, either out in the field or just driving around town? Any and all thoughts would be appreciated, with due consideration for cost and bulk. I once knew a guy who carried a spare ENGINE in the back of his VW bus. That's not what I'm looking for!

The "problem" with modern vehicles is that they are far more reliable than the vehicles of even a couple of decades ago. My Tacoma has 140,000 miles on it, and all I've replaced are typical wear and maintenance items like brake pads, plugs, etc. Absolutely nothing has ever broken or left me stranded. So I realized on a recent trip that I had grown complacent about the spares I carried. In the old days I had a big box full of stuff like ignition parts (remember condensers and points?), carb parts, hoses, gaskets, a fuel pump, spare axle half shafts (Series Land Rover, you needed them), oil seals and gaskets, wheel cylinders, a clutch slave cylinder, and the list went on and on. At one point or another, I used every one of those items for a field repair. Many of those items simply aren't present on a modern vehicle. Determining what spares are prudent to carry is now an unusual "problem" to have.

The most common cause of vehicle breakdowns these days are dead batteries and flat tires. I carry items to deal with those situations (dual battery system, Microstart jump battery, tire plugs/patches, tire irons, beadbreaker, compressor), but beyond that I find myself not carrying much, which is inevitably going to bite my butt. Thoughts, please.

jls4

I have hoses, belts, fluids, and wheel studs. I've yet to need anything thus far... however I haven't done a major trip. Just weekends here and there close to home. If I were to take a series adventure I would maybe consider more.

Joe917

Explorer
fuses, bulbs, wire,connectors, tape
all spare belts,hoses ( coolant fuel and brake), clamps, 1 pc exhaust pipe same OD as ID rad hoses.
minimum 3 fuel pre filters and 4 engine fuel filters, oil filter, throttle cable.
1 gal coolant(we carry sufficient fresh water to easily fill system) 17liters oil(1 change)brake fluid for clutch, power steering fluid, hydraulic oil,wd40, battery water
lengths of all sizes air and water hose plus fittings and connectors, water filters, spare cabin water pump.
nylon strap, fencing wire, assorted nuts and bolts

tools tools tools

just off the top of my head!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles