What years montero is the best

Jkenosh

Observer
I have been trolling around here awhile have read a lot of post. Haven't figured out what years have the locking rear differential and if those years have a all wheel drive option. I was looking at lx 470 and 100 cruisers but the montero seems like a better buy and gets better mileage. I don't think I want a sport. I'd rather have a limited.

jhill15

Explorer
Heres a thread that will totally help out with what options were available. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129966

I think and dont quote me but for a 2.5 gen the 98-99 sr has the rear locker and I cant remember what years of the 2nd gen...maybe 94-95 had it, if im wrong hopefully someone will chime in with the correct info. I have a 2003 limited and love it. However, I wish it had a rear locker and when I was looking to buy one shouldve done more research on the montero cause I would trade my 3.8 for the rear locker any day.

Jkenosh

Observer
That was a good thread. Thanks. Gonna have to start looking hard now. I see a lot of sports but not a lot of monteros. What's the difference

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
That was a good thread. Thanks. Gonna have to start looking hard now. I see a lot of sports but not a lot of monteros. What's the difference

Frame and body, The Montero is a Montero/Pajero and a Montero Sport is a Challenger which is based on the L200 pickup AKA Mighty Max pickup. The Sport is much lighter duty and smaller trucks.

Jkenosh

Observer
Seems like that. The few 98 and 99 I saw for sale looked huge compared to the sports. Did all the 98 and 99 have the locker or was it a option

Rear locker was an option for 98-99. Easiest way to tell from the outside is the headlamp squirters on the top of the front bumper.

Jkenosh

Observer
I don't see a lot of 94-98 for sale around here. The few I do see are the same price as a 03-04 should I buy the 03-04

drfreema

AEV JK350
I have been trolling around here awhile have read a lot of post. Haven't figured out what years have the locking rear differential and if those years have a all wheel drive option. I was looking at lx 470 and 100 cruisers but the montero seems like a better buy and gets better mileage. I don't think I want a sport. I'd rather have a limited.
I'm in the same boat, Jkenosh. Someone feel free to correct me but I think that the 1994-1998 SR had rear differential locks. The 1994-1996 has the DOHC engine with the 1997-1998 having the SOHC.

I believe that the Monteros with the winter package also have rear differential locks. Can someone provide the trim package designator for the winter package? It sure would make Craigslist-trolling easier. I'm having a really hard time finding a decent Montero with diff locks within 1000 miles of Indiana.

plh

Explorer
I don't see a lot of 94-98 for sale around here. The few I do see are the same price as a 03-04 should I buy the 03-04

What do you plan to do with the truck? The Gen 3 (2001 and newer) are much different than the Gen 1, 2, & 2.5 trucks. Agreed the earlier trucks are hard to find around here. Many have bit the bullet due to rust. All 3 of my old trucks came from non-salt states so they are still solid. When you look at a local Gen 1, 2, & 2.5, look closely at the frame. I've reviewed several in the S.E. Wisconsin area where the body panels look pretty good, but the frames have rust holes through. Not good. On the other hand they are pushing 20 years old at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles