What would you replace your LR3/4 with ?

johnsoax

Adventurer
What is your "LEAN" issue?

Running lean on both banks. Had a small leak at the junction of the air line from the filter to the throttle body. Replaced that part and the codes didn't go away. Can't find another air/vacuum leak anywhere. Last January I had a lean on bank one code, and was able to fix it with some sealant in the same place. I'm at the point where I am going to have to keep replacing parts (ERG valve replacement, ect).

With that, and all the other stuff starting to fail on the 14 year old car I thought it was time to switch to something newer for a daily driver. If I'm going to be spending $200-300 a month on a car, I might as well be making a payment on a newer one.

Do you have a GAP Tool? If so, remember that the ECU's have memory so once you clear codes go into the settings; can't remember what page at the moment but there are calibration and initial settings of sorts. Clear all of that out and the vehicle will relearn its current condition; I learned this from another member as I was having the same problems. Once I cleared everything out; the code never came back.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
So what would you choose? Also, I am sure you're aware the LR3/4 etc have mostly "stamped" parts used for the control arms.

Big different between the LR3's fully boxed and welded control arms and the Jeep's flimsy U-channel.

Replaced my LR3 with an F150. 6-speed ZF, aluminum body, rear-locker, 700lbs lighter, more reliable, more power, more storage, more towing and payload.

I'd have considered waiting for the new Defender, a 130 pickup, but had the feeling it would be a disappointment. Glad I didn't wait.

I'm waiting to see what happens with Gladiator and diesel options; also curious if the new Bronco will have the diesel option! Nice to see the Defender Commercial version video but since its not coming here and we still don't have a configuration or diesel option; Defender is currently off my list as far as a next "all around vehicle" of modern-ness! lol

cornfarmer

Observer
Update from OP here.....relocating isn't happening (for now) so looks like the LR3 is here to stay. For a few months I thought about what I would possibly replace it with, and it came down to shelling out more $$$ for something not as nice/capable. It's paid for, has low miles and makes the most sense as far as practicality goes (except the fuel economy). Maybe an LR4 will replace it once their prices come down....?

The new Explorers still intrigue me - somebody next door to my office has a new Lincoln Aviator (woooweee) - it's obvious how Ford seems to keep reconstituting a lot of the LR/RR dna years later. I'll be somewhat interested in how secondhand Gladiator's are priced once some used ones come on the market (not getting my hopes up).

I do. I just had to clear the code last time... Hmm, will check on that.

Yeah it's in there somewhere; I think under ECU memory or cache or something. Essentially resets your ECU to read what the new sensor are telling it and starts its memory from scratch with new readings for averages.

Pardon my paraphrase on the process but it will help you out.

johnsoax

Adventurer
Yeah it's in there somewhere; I think under ECU memory or cache or something. Essentially resets your ECU to read what the new sensor are telling it and starts its memory from scratch with new readings for averages.

I didn't replace any sensors. Just the plastic air duct from the Mass Air flow sensor to the throttle body. The only codes I am getting are for P0171-00 (E8) System too lean (Bank 1) and P0174-00 (E8) System too lean (Bank 2).

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
So...you have just two lean code codes and are ready to give up on such reliable rig as LR3 is and replace it with Japanese refrigerator ? Jokes aside, don't give up just yet.. it could be as simple as loose or faulty oil cap or even loose dipstick or bad dipstick O ring.

Apparently the husband of someone we know has a '69 Bronco in garaged condition since many years ago, maybe since he was a teenager so 80's or 90's. It may go up for sale soon. They had not heard of BAT. You think that's the best place for top $ ?

You mean auction? Not following you but could be cuz I'm only on my first coffee....lol

johnsoax

Adventurer
Apparently the husband of someone we know has a '69 Bronco in garaged condition since many years ago, maybe since he was a teenager so 80's or 90's. It may go up for sale soon. They had not heard of BAT. You think that's the best place for top $ ?
Maybe Bringatrailer.com?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles