What would you go for? A 60 or a 100 series?

alanymarce

Of the two I'd prefer the 100. However..... if you can find a good 80 (VX, late model, low Km) then an extra USD 1000 a year for road tax would not deter me from this option.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
I have a HJ61 and a HDJ100.

I own the 100 since 2 years now and I take it more often for my overland trip than the 61, still, yet, I put more Km on the 61 since I own it for longer time.

I still make expédition with the 61 but usually not as fare from home than the 100.

I love both but the main point is the confort where the 100 win.

I hate the “more” complexe side of the electronic/computer into the 100 (more precisely the “FTE”) while I feel the rusticity of the 61 a safer vehicle into the wild. Once it start, the 61 can bring you back home without NO electricity at all. The 100 need a code readers to talk with the ECU.

The 61 with 5spd is more peppy but the 100 is stronger. The turbo lag is longer on the 100.

The 100 will drink 1.5 - 2L/100km more than the 61.

Every time I sit behind the steering of both of them, I truly feel an huge happiness

I pity you... it will not be an easy choice.

Your family will probably better like the 100 without all the thumb up received for the 61

BB9D3B53-FE7A-4A4D-9EA8-2B823F6807D5.jpeg7E474019-2F29-4398-A360-CB73240E502F.jpeg

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Because you have kids, the 100 series would be better due to the safety features the FJ60 does not have.

CPT

Because you have kids, the 100 series would be better due to the safety features the FJ60 does not have.
Yes I agree, if I save up some more cash I could perhaps even find a 150 - I guess that would be even safer than the 100..
But then I would be in 3.0 D4D territory, and I dont think they are as bulletproof as the 4.2 of the 100 series

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Yes I agree, if I save up some more cash I could perhaps even find a 150 - I guess that would be even safer than the 100..

That would be something to research . I believe 2004 on have added side airbags.

Arktikos

Explorer
The back seat does fold down in a 60 and it should have head rests. US models do. Show us some photos of the vehicles you're looking at.
If starting from scratch I would go with the 100. Advantages of 60 are just that they look cooler and are easier to work on.
I've had the EFI 60 series version for a couple decades and it's dependable as hell. Not uncomfortable either, even for an old guy like me.
Would like to see some photos of your adventures in that part of the world. Good luck with your choice.

billiebob

I hear the dilemna.... We went thru the same thing 30 years ago. We had a 1987 Camary. Beautriful car. In 1990 rear seat shoulder belts became standard..... we instantly traded in for a 1990 Accord so the kids could have that extra safety factor. We never needed them. We have yet to be in an accident in 40 years but Kids Come First. I'd take the 100 everytime with kids.

Today, retired with grandkids and the Expedition vehicle being the 3rd vehicle, I'd take the 60 as an overlander. But since the backseat would rarely be used, the lack of headrests is not an issue.

Unless that 60 is going to only be used on vacation.... buy the 100.

EDIT....

With no kids. I'd actually pick a 50.

toyota-land-cruiser-150-30-d-4d-2011-717_4.jpg

Last edited:

T-Willy

I would choose the 100 because it will be more comfortable and less exhausting to drive on the highway. The novelty of the dated 60 may be lost on the family, especially on long trips where comfort is key.

billiebob

Safety for the kids rules.
Headrests, yes. Shoulder belts, yes. Airbags, yes.
AntiSkid Braking, yes. Vehicle Stability Control.... lots of choices.

I'm still alive and I rode in a pickup box.... but that is pretty much illegal today. Rightfully so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles