What would you do? Chevrolet Silverado died

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Well, it looks like the time has come to make a hard decision on my 2008 silverado. A few thousand miles ago my oil pressure sending unit went out, got it replaced, and yesterday I got the low oil light again. Took it to the same place thinking it was the same thing, and it looks like the motor is junk. 150k miles, babied, bought it new with 6 miles on it. Thought it would last longer....

I don’t like car payments that much, times are a little weird right now, and just bought a new model 3 for my wife last Aug. We are still employed and have the money for something new , but I was hoping to get into a house after this blows over.

1. Slap a new/rebuilt engine in there. I have the 5.3l and don’t know what this would cost, but I’m sure I could pay cash.

2. Junk it and buy something older with 4WD. Not having 4WD has been something I disliked about the truck, but lived with for 12 years. Maybe $15k and pay cash.

3.Go the same route above but get something a little nicer and have a small payment. Maybe $30k. Thinking late model GX460, maybe a Tacoma, etc. Something that would hold me over for a while.

4. Throw caution to the wind and get a new Tremor, Power Wagon, maybe be a little conservative and get the ZR2. “I’ve been looking at these hard, but have had self control with what was a perfectly running truck.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
What about get a second opinion on the engine repair? Then maybe slap a used engine in, sell it, and then go to #4? I’m looking at my neighbors 08 Silverado right now that has the collapsed lifter issue... he was quoted 9k to repair... I’m guessing you could do it yourself for much less, or drop a used engine for somewhere in the middle ground. His second opinion quote was only 4K. I’m guessing DIY is about $1600 with no labor charged.
Sometimes the mechanic quotes the “don’t wanna mess with it” price. Often they say replace the engine because they don’t want you coming back and blaming the next failure on whatever they did.

Reactions: WVI

luthj

Engineer In Residence
5.3s are cheap rebuilt. Whats the body like on the truck? Is it optioned well? At 150k you probably have another 50-700k before major component failure starts to become a risk. So price out a used/reman engine. If its cheaper per mile than something used or new, then you have your answer.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
The engine has no knock or tick, which is why I figured it was just the sending unit again. It's an LT2 in great shape. I've babied this thing since I bought it, and it doesn't have 4WD so it's never been offroad.

The mechanic is saying there are metal shavings on the dipstick, which is due to the cam grinding, which is clogging some screen which is killing my sending units.

Is there a market for a truck in this condition? Seems like a hard sell

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
The engine has no knock or tick, which is why I figured it was just the sending unit again. It's an LT2 in great shape. I've babied this thing since I bought it, and it doesn't have 4WD so it's never been offroad.

The mechanic is saying there are metal shavings on the dipstick, which is due to the cam grinding, which is clogging some screen which is killing my sending units.

Is there a market for a truck in this condition? Seems like a hard sell
I'd get a second opinion before you make any other move, if the first replacement of the sending unit didn't include replacing the little screen in the block under the sending unit that could be your problem, pretty rare for an LS to be ruined with that little miles on it, the fleet I manage has 12 LS powered rigs that are over 300000 miles and still run well.

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
LS engines are some of if not the longest lasting Chevrolet engines ever designed and manufactured.

I doubt your engine is bad UNLESS your truck has that software programming that disconnects cylinders (Not sure what they call it) then all bets are off. Lot's of problems with the system!

You need a person familiar with LS engines to look at the truck. Put a real oil pressure gauge on the engine and see the real oil pressure. LS motors are known for the O ring on the oil pickup tube starting to fail and therefore you will have low oil pressure. Git an oil sample and send it out for oil analysis. An oil analysis report will tell the tale if the engine is truly bad.

Without doing additional proper inspection and testing you are a LONG WAY from needing an engine replacement recommended by a guy looking at a dipstick (which may be him) and making judgement the cam is bad and then trying to sell you on the idea that you need a new engine!

Last edited:

CampStewart

Observer
I would find someone to take a closer look at your engine and do your own research as there is a wealth of info on these engines on the net. If it is dead I would look for a used replacement from a reputable company.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I got a kit from a guy for $35 to fix the collapsed lifter in my '11 Yukon. Took me about 3 hours in the yard. Didn't replace any gaskets. It also deleted the AFM/DOD mechanically. I got a used Superchips tuner off ebay for about $150 to disable the AFM/DOD. Saved several thousand $$$ on the repair by doing it myself...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles