What would you do? Chevrolet Silverado died

tennesseewj

Observer
I actually know someone who dropped an oil pump on a 5.3 (2007 Silverado) at only 50k miles and, after a pretty extensive repair, the motor eventually suffered oil starvation related failures and died at around 100k miles. Disappointing, but definitely an exception.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. Worst case, you can do #1 until this nonsense economy stabilizes and then trade it for something nicer if you want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Metal on the dipstick could be lifter/cam issue. Hardly a good reason to replace the whole engine. Needs more diagnosis before condemning the whole engine.

D

Deleted member 9101

Easy: drop in a 6.0 and call it good. It's not a difficult or expensive swap. Far cheaper than a new truck.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Doesn't swapping to a 6.0 require a transmission swap as well. Talk about scope creep....

the 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2 (did I miss anybody?) "LS" motors all bolt up to the same transmissions as long as the flexplate is correct...

D

Deleted member 9101

Doesn't swapping to a 6.0 require a transmission swap as well. Talk about scope creep....

Nope. If its iut3of a 3/4 ton the flywheel will need to be swapped.

Also...the Lq9 would be my pick. Its the 345 hp version. Good motor, but it requires premium fuel.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Well, it looks like the time has come to make a hard decision on my 2008 silverado. A few thousand miles ago my oil pressure sending unit went out, got it replaced, and yesterday I got the low oil light again. Took it to the same place thinking it was the same thing, and it looks like the motor is junk. 150k miles, babied, bought it new with 6 miles on it. Thought it would last longer....

I don’t like car payments that much, times are a little weird right now, and just bought a new model 3 for my wife last Aug. We are still employed and have the money for something new , but I was hoping to get into a house after this blows over.

1. Slap a new/rebuilt engine in there. I have the 5.3l and don’t know what this would cost, but I’m sure I could pay cash.

2. Junk it and buy something older with 4WD. Not having 4WD has been something I disliked about the truck, but lived with for 12 years. Maybe $15k and pay cash.

3.Go the same route above but get something a little nicer and have a small payment. Maybe $30k. Thinking late model GX460, maybe a Tacoma, etc. Something that would hold me over for a while.

4. Throw caution to the wind and get a new Tremor, Power Wagon, maybe be a little conservative and get the ZR2. “I’ve been looking at these hard, but have had self control with what was a perfectly running truck.

You can get a new ZR2 for high $30,000 (I’d guess $37k - $38k and maybe better with current economics) with the gas motor. GM is running really good interest rates right now if you qualify. My wife’s daily is a ZR2 with the gas motor, and it’s a great little truck. There is a ton of room up front in the crew cab, but the rear is a little on the small size (not sure if that’s a concern for you). At 150,000 miles I don’t think I could trust the truck anymore. Say you rebuild or throw a new motor in the truck, everything else still has 150,000 miles on it. Personally, I couldn’t do that myself.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I'd get a second opinion before you make any other move, if the first replacement of the sending unit didn't include replacing the little screen in the block under the sending unit that could be your problem, pretty rare for an LS to be ruined with that little miles on it, the fleet I manage has 12 LS powered rigs that are over 300000 miles and still run well.
This is very accurate. We see this exact issue at the dealership on a regular basis. Low oil pressure warnings but no actual symptoms of an engine running with low oil pressure like noisy valvetrain or rod knocking noises. This little screen is only on the engines with the AFM system. When the low oil pressure warning presents itself many overlook the screen and shortly after installing the new oil pressure sending unit the low pressure warnings come back. Now a shop with less morals could sell you an engine because they can say "see we put in a new sensor and that confirms the engine has low oil pressure". That's utter BS, but less honest shops can and will prey on that issue. Demand a mechanical oil pressure reading. Chances are if there is no audible rattle the mechanical oil pressure value is in spec. But I would not call for an engine replacement without knowing what the actual value is.

I'm pushing 225k on a 5.3 that I swapped into my '91 K5. It had 200K on it when I swapped it in and didn't do any kind of a rebuild on it. 150k on a 5.3 is barely broken in.

billiebob

Get a remanufactured long block, bolt it in, 7 year warranty.
I've had 3 engines from S and J Engines in Spokane. I swear by them. They ship world wide.
I guarantee they will have a long block in stock, ready to ship today.

But if you want out, buy the same thing with 4WD and keep or sell this one for parts.

Wrathchild

It sounds like you really want a new to you truck. And the trucks listed are a bit more offroady leaning. Also more HD related.

I’d look at 2500s or 3500s that are a few yrs old. I loved my old ‘07 6.0 Chevy 2500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz