what wood to install between frame and deck?

david506th

Adventurer
You could go Pine if it has been dried correctly (not big box store) or poplar for strength/weight but just be sure to reverse your grain curve and use a tongue & groove type joint. Do you have to use Wood? Composite Decking is a option since your not holding up the world. If you want strength then go Sapele or Epay but the weight might kill your plans. But the bog standard as stated above is oak.

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
If the plan is to use U bolts to keep everything together, insert some wood blocking inside the frame C channel at the U bolt attachment points prior to torquing things down.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
I used oak as well. I used linseed oil and soaked it several times then painted it. It is screwed to the subframe and the screw heads are countersunk quite a bit so no chance of the heads damaging the truck frame. My subframe is spring attached to the truck frame so the screws keep the oak attached to the subframe when the truck frame twists and drops out from under the subframe. The sub frame is extremely rigid so the oak never really sees any movement. Two years and it looks like new.

Buckstopper

yabanja

Explorer
I used oak. Must be a hardwood. Pressure treated is too soft. Soft wood will compress and cause your U bolts to come loose.

Greenbarn

Most building supplies in our area (Vancouver Island) sell flat deck material. It is tung and groove fir. I sealed the bottom with por15 an the top with Sikens SRD and inset tracks.

99AA108C-F3C4-41B8-8816-4E61949230AB.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles