WHAT WINCH DO YOU HAVE ON YOUR FULL-SIZE TRUCK? ...pleez post pics...

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Warn VR10,000...

I would recommmend that you look into a VR series. They are manufactured with 'foreign' parts according to Warn's specs, and they are assembled in the U.S.. Their rationale for this line was to compete with the other cheaper Chinese winches available. Warn's warranty is the same when compared to the other winch models in their lineup. I decided to go with a Warn VR series this time. I don't need use my winch often, and I thought that my previous 9.5ti was overkill. I used the 9.5 twice in the 2 years that I had it. In my discussions with Warn, they recommended the VR for occasional use. I had an issue with my 9.5 ti (powdercoating chipping), they replaced the case and refurbished the 'guts' at no charge. I have no doubt that they will stand behind this VR as well. In my opinion, Warn is a great company...

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

good luck.

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

FellowTraveler

Explorer
My K2500 Suburban w/diesel has a GVWR of 8.6k I use the 12k MileMarker Hydro winch mounted on a WARN classic bumper use steel cable and snatch block when necessary.

The most overlooked item is the vehicles designed center of gravity (CG) which changes from the cantilever effect of the added weight, how much depends upon the distance the weight is from the center of the front hub and how much weight vehicle manufactures have published "up-fitter manuals" in those manuals the data would be available and how to correct the CG back to within factory design parameters. Getting back to proper CG could be installing a heavy rear bumper and/or tire/jerry can carrier but again it depends upon the amount of weight and how far after the center of the rear wheel hub it is placed.

Some like to increase front spring or torson bar ratings but this is a band aid approach IMHO.

1999 k2500 Burb 014.jpg1999 K2500 Burb 004.jpg1999 K2500 Burb 005.jpg

FellowTraveler makes a really good point. When I installed the ARB bumper along with the Warn M15000 I added probably upwards of 350 lbs. out front. This magnified worn steering parts and I ended up chasing it all over the road. I have replaced many of the components and added a BD steering box stabilizer and adjustable track bar but the single most important thing that made a difference was to add ballast in the bed...7-50 lb. bags of sand. They are being replaced with camping goodies and storage drawers. Dodge prints a guide for those who mount snow plows to their trucks and they include good info on this topic. :sombrero:

FellowTraveler

Explorer
FellowTraveler makes a really good point. When I installed the ARB bumper along with the Warn M15000 I added probably upwards of 350 lbs. out front. This magnified worn steering parts and I ended up chasing it all over the road. I have replaced many of the components and added a BD steering box stabilizer and adjustable track bar but the single most important thing that made a difference was to add ballast in the bed...7-50 lb. bags of sand. They are being replaced with camping goodies and storage drawers. Dodge prints a guide for those who mount snow plows to their trucks and they include good info on this topic. :sombrero:

Simple is good and you did it right!

Back in the day I had no real idea what was causing all the wander, sway, wear and tear but when I opened an up-fitting manual it made all the difference the result now is suspension, breaking and steering components/parts last much longer now.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Werner A50, Hydraulic, mid-mount. 5000dAN lifting rated (will lift, brake, and hold load). Pulls stuck Unimogs out of mud without an issue. I use it all the time for recovering "offroad" vehicles. In fact, I just used it to pull out a vehicle that had an 18,000lb Warn Severe duty, which failed.

Fair Leed.jpgPICT4687.jpgDoor Winch Info.jpgRoller Springs.jpg Snatch Blocks.jpg

Also carry 2 snatch blocks, one to use to "reverse" the winch pull (so I can pull backwards) and one to change direction (can't always point my nose at guys who are stuck, sometimes need to use a tree saver and a snatch block to do a 90degree pull)

I've used it to recover highway tractors, hummers, other Unimogs, Dodge's, Chevy's, boats, fords, and a jeep thusfar. Haven't had to do a self recovery yet, but the Unimog I pulled out had all 4 wheels locked, and I drug it out of the mud like it wasn't even there, so I'm confident it will recover me without issue.

Cable is 55 meters of steel (has to be due to the undercarriage rollers and tensioners to get it to come out the front) but I carry an additional 55 meters of synthetic (light, easy to pack, strong, safe, floats, doesn't conduct electricity) for winch extension if I need to do a really long pull.

bjm206

Adventurer
Ford Excursion with a Warn M15000 in an ARB bumper.

6365437307_0057a4506d_z.jpg

There is not much to see as it is buried in the bumper. I have only used it once...but once was enough to realize how valuable it is.

blakeape

Adventurer
Warn M12000 in a homemade bumper for me. I got really augured in a (legal) creek crossing a few months ago, broke both my pinion yokes (I can't believe it either) and had to winch out with no-wheel-drive. The M12000 and a snatch block really saved my bacon that day!IMG_0552.jpg

docb14

my winch

My ride is a 2004 ext cab z71. The truck has a rancho lift and i run 35 inch tires. I have a warn transformer winch mount and a warn xd9000i on a multi mount. The fact I can use it on the front or back has come in handy many times. How many times have you been stuck going forward and need to be pulled backward? Also I don`t have to have the winch out in the weather all the time as I keep it in the ext cab portion of the truck when not in use as opposed to a permanent mount. This helps keep it from getting stolen as well. I've used it several times from both ends mostly to recover other people and move stuff at the farm. The 9000lb has been plenty sufficient for my needs and you can't go wrong with Warn. Recovered 1/2 ton trucks stuck in mud and pulled some vehicles up a steep bank and used it to unstick a tractor. I have not used the snatch block much but it is a good idea to not make the winch work too hard. I used it at times with heavy loads or stuff that's really stuck. The 9k or 9.5k will be all u need for a half ton truck, esp with a snatch block if needed. I don't mud bog or rock climb. If the hole is too deep, I go around if I can. Expierence has taught me well. Always winch safely and plan the pull before you start.

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'm running an 8274 in an ARB Bull Bar on my '06 GMC 2500. It's a little undersize "by the numbers", but I winched an international boom truck backward in sand with it double lined, and it did fine. It's mainly there for a little assistance if I am in need, and to pull trees out of the road, or cars out of the ditch. I don't flop this truck in huge mudholes and winch through, so for what I use it for, I'm very happy with it. You can't beat having 150' of cable on hand for the long jobs, either. :)

I have not yet had ANY problems with my Warn winches.
Pics in the build thread link in my sig.
Chris

bfdiesel

Explorer
A warn 9000 I also carry snatch blocks, shovels, chains, straps, and steel stakes if I need to pull with no other anchors around. I have used it to pull vehicals that weigh in around 8-9k lbs, but had to use the snatch block.
IMG_0166.JPG

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm running an 8274 in an ARB Bull Bar on my '06 GMC 2500. It's a little undersize "by the numbers", but I winched an international boom truck backward in sand with it double lined, and it did fine. It's mainly there for a little assistance if I am in need, and to pull trees out of the road, or cars out of the ditch. I don't flop this truck in huge mudholes and winch through, so for what I use it for, I'm very happy with it. You can't beat having 150' of cable on hand for the long jobs either.

I'm in the same situation. I have a 8274 waiting for a spare couple of hours to bolt it in the F350. It will be used for "utility" pulls more than mud hole recovery. I think with use of snatch blocks it would do fine if I do get the urge to do something stupid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles