What will replace the Dodge Dakota midsize pickup?

haven

Expedition Leader
http://detnews.com/article/20110820/AUTO01/108200317/1148/rss25

The Detroit News is reporting that production of the midsize Dodge Dakota pickup will end this coming week. Dodge sold only 13,000 Dakotas last year.

Chrysler management has talked about replacing the Dakota with a "lifestyle" pickup similar to the Honda Ridgeline at some time in the future. The question remains what platform will be used for the new model. While the Chrysler minivan is an option, I'm hoping the chassis from the new Dodge Durango will be selected. The Durango is built on a stretched version of the new Grand Cherokee chassis, so 4x4 and V8 power would be options. You could put Jeep badges on this truck, too.

Ford is expected to halt USA production of the compact Ranger pickup in December.

colodak

Adventurer
I can't believe they sold so few, I think their numbers are waaaay off. I see a lot of Dakota's in my area, they seem to very popular, Chrysler would be foolish to discontinue this truck. Toyota, Nissan, Chevy continue to build mid-size, if any of the models should go away it would be the Chevy, I see very few Colorado/Canyon's on the road by comparison to the other 3.

cwsqbm

Explorer
As shown in the attached table, sales for all American small trucks have fallen off drastically from 2006 on. Tacoma sales are down somewhat, but their market share has grown drastically.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 311

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I personally have never seen the reason to purchase a mid size pickup. Less cargo room, less interior space, about the same mpg as a full size and prices don't seem to be much cheaper than a full size truck.

Crazy Al

Not suprised they sold so few, the new styling was terrible.

They've talked about stopping the Ranger before. I hope they don't, I love mine, wife loves it. Everyone who's ever driven mine loves it. As to your comment about mpg and size Eaglefreek, I don't know about where you are etc, but here in WA fullsize trucks don't fit on all the trails. We've got a lot of trees.

haven

Expedition Leader
No doubt the F150 and similar trucks have a lot more room, and almost double the cargo and towing capacity. But a true compact truck is a lot cheaper to buy and to run if you're willing to buy a four cylinder model.

The Ranger 2.5L 5 speed manual MSRP is $4500 less than the cheapest F150, and it's often discounted. The LA papers almost always have at least one Ford dealer advertising the base Ranger for less than $11K. The Ranger's EPA combined fuel economy is 24mpg, 30% better than the F150.

bftank

Explorer
i think hilldweller is talking width wise, in which case i agree.

besides the only reason your 2wd f100 went places the dakota couldn't was because of the dakotas operator.:sombrero:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I would not bet on that. I have an old F-100 with a tighter wheelbase than my buddies Dakota.

If JK Unlimiteds had a diesel or Hemi, I'd have one. If I fit well in a Durango or other midsized p'up and it had lockers, I would've considered one.

As it is, I barely fit on some trails and have to take the bypass on others.
Then there's breakover angles...

5842684666_9cf29c231b_b.jpg

This thing is freakin' huge...

attachment.php

Last edited:

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Not suprised they sold so few, the new styling was terrible.

They've talked about stopping the Ranger before. I hope they don't, I love mine, wife loves it. Everyone who's ever driven mine loves it. As to your comment about mpg and size Eaglefreek, I don't know about where you are etc, but here in WA fullsize trucks don't fit on all the trails. We've got a lot of trees.

I love both of mine, too, but production ends in December. :(

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I love both of mine, too, but production ends in December. :(
I had a '99 Ranger 4-banger. I traded it for an F-150 after about 6 months with it. I got tired of hitting my knees on the shifter and steering wheel.
It was just too danged cramped for me.

The F-150 was perfect though. It got great gas mileage and never needed attention.
My favorite p'up so far.

Crazy Al

I don't mind the Exploder Sport Tracs, just wish they had a 6' bed. Wish they would have just made the Ranger crew cab like the rest of the world got instead though.

bfdiesel

Explorer
i think hilldweller is talking width wise, in which case i agree.

besides the only reason your 2wd f100 went places the dakota couldn't was because of the dakotas operator.:sombrero:

It has enough metal to squeeze the trees out of the way. :)

Nick02

I love my dakota, i'll take on any ram.

It's amazingly nimble, tight turning radius; navigated through the sedona trails without hitting any trees.
img0568ve.jpg

img1146u.jpg

I would love to see chrys make a new dakota, just put it on a jk frame and throw the 4.7 or hemi in it.
thing would sell like hotcakes
:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior