What will happen sooner... a Ford Gas vs Diesel dilema

plumber mike

Adventurer
Well, not sure it is going to happen now. Found out on Friday that my company is going to fire me because I won't take the vaccine. Ugh.
That sure doesn’t sound like anywhere I’d want to work.
Congrats on the freedom. Hopefully you can kick off the trip early. If I lost my 7.3 tomorrow, I don’t think I’d miss it nearly as much as the others. The 1997 460 we had was every bit as enjoyable....and almost equally efficient. It was a fraction of the cost as well. The v10 zf6 was another decent combo we owned. It was also able to meet or beat the efficiency of the new truck.

The 7.3 is a honey of a motor, but the ten speed has got to be close to the worst transmission I’ve ever owned. I won’t want to own it past the 60k warranty, and I sure wouldn’t want it somewhere that I was the best mechanic around. It’s a shame because the rest of the truck is a fairly decent unit.

D

Deleted member 9101

The 7.3 is a honey of a motor, but the ten speed has got to be close to the worst transmission I’ve ever owned. I won’t want to own it past the 60k warranty, and I sure wouldn’t want it somewhere that I was the best mechanic around. It’s a shame because the rest of the truck is a fairly decent unit.

Problem solved:

Ninelitetrip

This is in a 2021 F350? What don't you like on the 10 speed?

D

Deleted member 9101

Did anyone elsesee the 2000 F250 sell for $30K today ? I was in disbelief even tho it was a low miler. I mean its just a pickup.

Meh...some guys will pay anything to have the overly romanticized diesels of the past.

plumber mike

Adventurer
This is in a 2021 F350? What don't you like on the 10 speed?
Yes it’s a 2021. Crew. Long. 4x. 3.73:1 spinning some 245’s
I do not like “the race to tenth”. It’s always trying to get in the highest possible gear....all the time. Hits 10th at anything above 45. Then downshift because it upshifted too quickly to begin with. Tow/haul mode is better empty as compared to “normal” mode, but I still don’t quite understand why it holds a gear as long as it does, when it does. Unpredictable by my brain. I would think heat and slippage would be inevitable at closer to max GVW. Not to mention the reduced fuel economy of lugging the engine even for that brief period. The same to some extent in manual mode. Sometimes switching from D to M in 10th will cause it to downshift to 8th, and other times it stays in tenth. I have no clue why. Sometimes in manual mode I have to hit the button twice. Other times one will do. Again, no rhyme or reason.
The gear skip from 1-3rd in normal mode is too much for anything other than an empty truck on flat ground. It really is too large a jump when accelerating moderately on any uphill. Sometimes I catch letting off the throttle just right and it will go to second. Skip fourth....sometimes... even if you paid for it. It’s a shame because I do like all the ratios to choose from. It just can’t get to the right ones.....automatically;-)
Manual mode is a good bit slower to respond than some other brands, but it’s the only way to avoid the race to tenth.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Did anyone elsesee the 2000 F250 sell for $30K today ? I was in disbelief even tho it was a low miler. I mean its just a pickup.

It’s basically a one of a kind at this point. That would certainly fetch as much or more as new. Where else are you going to get one? And how else can you row your own?
New trucks are a proverbial dime a dozen.
There is a 2006 Dodge 5.9 manual for sale over at ADVrider with 55k on the clock, and the ask is $34,000
It seemed like a good deal considering new can’t be had easily for under 50k. And it sure can’t be had with a manual.
I thought about a Tacoma for no other reason than the manual. Too bad I don’t need a manual Camry with a shopping cart strapped on the back.. You can’t get a real truck with a manual transmission! I’m still mourning. Just try to find a 2018 Ram G56 for me please. I’d drop this Ford like a hot rock. I might even pay more than it was really worth.
Apparently I’m not the only zealot, and some of the others have much deeper pockets.
I’d also consider an 8.1 manual in a GMC crew long, but really the Dmax was great back then too. It’d be fine as well.
A key that doesn’t use batteries would be nice too.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Petrol vs diesel....still loving my 6.2L. Nice and quiet, reliable thus far. Don't have the stress of worrying about CEL from emissions components like SCR/DPF, etc. Sure, I don't get the MPG of a diesel, and don't have the cool whistly turbo spool, but I just motor by unassuming. YMMV

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

I have the 10spd behind the 3.5 EcoBoost ('20 Expy--which is a lot lighter--also has sport, eco, tow, etc. it does not have a 'start in 2nd gear mode for sluper slow rolling which ECO mode should do).

It is not brilliant, and IMHO needs a small software fix to really get sorted because it is a little bit confused some times and sometimes feels 'draggy' (and it is not the brakes). I like the economy and acceleration but on a scale of 1-10 I give it an 8. If they had an 8-speed that was "brilliant" I'd take it over the 10 spd, or if I had my druthers I'd want the 10-spd packing 4.11s+ (3.73s now) to justify it a bit more.
Either way, there is room for improvement.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
I have the 10spd behind the 3.5 EcoBoost ('20 Expy--which is a lot lighter--also has sport, eco, tow, etc. it does not have a 'start in 2nd gear mode for sluper slow rolling which ECO mode should do).

It is not brilliant, and IMHO needs a small software fix to really get sorted because it is a little bit confused some times and sometimes feels 'draggy' (and it is not the brakes). I like the economy and acceleration but on a scale of 1-10 I give it an 8. If they had an 8-speed that was "brilliant" I'd take it over the 10 spd, or if I had my druthers I'd want the 10-spd packing 4.11s+ (3.73s now) to justify it a bit more.
Either way, there is room for improvement.
I agree the 10 speed is sloppy, I have one in my 17 f150 work truck. It’s had a couple software updates and a new selonoid under warrenty when it got stuck in 10th gear. Over all the 10 speed is a great idea it just needs improvement, it’s not near as solid shifting and precise as the ZF 8 speed in my ram.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles