What will happen sooner... a Ford Gas vs Diesel dilema

alanymarce

1) petrol (gas) is more readily available everywhere, and will be for a while yet.
2) 300 miles is nore than enough range for most of the world - we've only every needed to carry extra fuel in three places (Bolivian Altiplano, Simpson Desert, GRR (and didn't need it because the one fuel station on the road did have fuel)).
3) Why such big engines? If you go to a more fuel efficient engine you'll need less fuel.
4) If you plan to visit Europe you'll find that there's an increasing restriction on entry to cities with a diesel.

ScottPC

I ordered an F350 with the 7.3 to haul a truck camper because of all the reasons above plus the cold weather advantages of gasoline. From my understanding, another reason 3rd world countries will never adopt ultra low sulfur diesel is that it's worse for the engines and some engines not designed for it will have problems running it. That's why the Mazda 6 diesel that was planned for the US about 10 years ago never made it into dealerships.

That's interesting that ULSD doesn't run well for some diesel engines...I figured there would be a variety of reasons countries would not want to adopt USLD but didn't think that was one of them:)

Yeah, the 7.3 has a lot going for so far.

ScottPC

1) petrol (gas) is more readily available everywhere, and will be for a while yet.
2) 300 miles is nore than enough range for most of the world - we've only every needed to carry extra fuel in three places (Bolivian Altiplano, Simpson Desert, GRR (and didn't need it because the one fuel station on the road did have fuel)).
3) Why such big engines? If you go to a more fuel efficient engine you'll need less fuel.
4) If you plan to visit Europe you'll find that there's an increasing restriction on entry to cities with a diesel.

All goods points!

Regarding #3, I began looking at Full size trucks for the prospective flatbed camper and thought the Ford Tremor would make for an excellent On and Off road platform as it offers lots of payload, front and rear lockers, 35s on a factory lift, and a variety of Drive modes among a few other capabilities. The Tremor comes with two engine options, the 7.3 petrol or the 6.7 diesel. The Ford petrol engines run off of 87 octane. While the 7.3 petrol is in its 2nd year it seems to be looking good "reliability-wise" due from it's a simple design. While Ford does offer a 6.2 petrol engine in a wider range of cab and bed configurations, the Tremor provides a lot of what I would want to add anyway without voiding warranties right away. A few of the drive mode options I like are only available on the Tremor. Also, I do live an area where there are mountain passes at the beginning and ending of every trip so having a little get up and go can be useful. For local trips, I'll have the ability to flat tow a jeep as well.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
All goods points!

Regarding #3, I began looking at Full size trucks for the prospective flatbed camper and thought the Ford Tremor would make for an excellent On and Off road platform as it offers lots of payload, front and rear lockers, 35s on a factory lift, and a variety of Drive modes among a few other capabilities. The Tremor comes with two engine options, the 7.3 petrol or the 6.7 diesel. The Ford petrol engines run off of 87 octane. While the 7.3 petrol is in its 2nd year it seems to be looking good "reliability-wise" due from it's a simple design. While Ford does offer a 6.2 petrol engine in a wider range of cab and bed configurations, the Tremor provides a lot of what I would want to add anyway without voiding warranties right away. A few of the drive mode options I like are only available on the Tremor. Also, I do live an area where there are mountain passes at the beginning and ending of every trip so having a little get up and go can be useful. For local trips, I'll have the ability to flat tow a jeep as well.
Smart move. The Tremor with a 7.3 is a great platform. The 6.2 is a pig.

D

Deleted member 9101

I ordered an F350 with the 7.3 to haul a truck camper because of all the reasons above plus the cold weather advantages of gasoline. From my understanding, another reason 3rd world countries will never adopt ultra low sulfur diesel is that it's worse for the engines and some engines not designed for it will have problems running it. That's why the Mazda 6 diesel that was planned for the US about 10 years ago never made it into dealerships.

The sulfur is similar to lead in older gas engines. Engines designed tonrun off of it don't laat as long once it's removed.

ScottPC

The sulfur is similar to lead in older gas engines. Engines designed tonrun off of it don't laat as long once it's removed.

Interesting, so does that mean that pre-emissions diesels that have had to run on ULSD for the ~10 years are not lasting as long as they would have otherwise? Or is it just certain diesel engines that have trouble switching to ULSD?

D

Deleted member 9101

Interesting, so does that mean that pre-emissions diesels that have had to run on ULSD for the ~10 years are not lasting as long as they would have otherwise? Or is it just certain diesel engines that have trouble switching to ULSD?

To be honest I have no clue about the specifics. I read a while back that gaskets will shrink.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Your 6.2 must be broken, because the 6.2 is not a pig. After the 7.3, it's easily my favorite gas engine for a pickup. Maybe you were thinking of the 5.4l? Check your state of tune, and fuel quality. 87 might cause the engine to pull timing in some areas, if the fuel is poor. 91 makes a difference.

I'd also recommend the 7.3, in this scenario. If you're going flatbed, also consider a chassis cab 450 or 550.

cobro92

Chassis cabs have lots of payload but also the parts are insanely expensive and hard to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porkchopexpress

Yeah, my knowledge on the subject is very word of mouth but I think you could do more preventative maintenance? Also, I think some modern diesels in other countries are designed for the regular diesel and wouldn't perform well on ULSD. Kind of like putting low octane fuel in a performance car maybe?

D

Deleted member 9101

There a lots of vehicles I'd love to consider if they could be easily imported into the US. All things considered, the domestic full size seem to be the best option for my use case :)

The F250 with the 6.2 is sold in Africa and South America.

ULSD doesn't have the lubrocity that the old diesel fuels had. The high pressure fuel pumps are lubricated by the fuel so there is more potential for wear. The modern common rail fuel systems compound the problem because if the fuel pump goes, it will send shrapnel through the entire fuel system necessitating the replacement of all components. Bio diesel actually has better lubrocity but it's more likely to absorb moisture, which is more likely to cause problems with the HPFP. The emissions system will get fouled if you don't use ULSD, and go into limp mode. Outside the US you could probably find a tuner to remove the need for ULSD and deleting the emissions system but you would still have to contend with fuel quality issues.

Stick with gas

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We went with a gas engine transit to avoid the diesel emission issues. Truck runs like a charm. Only thing I don't like are the more frequent oil changes are slightly bigger fuel bill. But overall it is still cheaper than a diesel engine purchase and maintance cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94