What vehicles was the 3.5 litre used in?

Jmichael2000

Does anybody know which vehicles might have the same 3.5 litre as my 2000 Monty? More preciesly I am looking for the valve spring retainers since I now have two in orbit around the earth I guess.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
From my junk yard purusings and hands on tear down of my 98 and 2002 Monty’s, I’d say at least the 98-2001 Montero’s used the same engine. The 2002 is very similar with minor changes to the front accessory plate (timing belt area) and top end intake manifold. I’m sure the 3.5 in Montero Sports is based on the same engine, but I don’t know if it’s exactly the same or not. There is a crap ton of Sports in the junk yards though. Easy to pull a few top ends off and try to match them up

Jmichael2000

I can only find a couple of monty's around here and all of them have had the engines removed. That is in the pull and pay yards. But I can find all kinds of gallants and others like that. Didn't some of those come with the 3.5?

Jmichael2000

I guess I'm just gonna pull a few and see if any match up. I know that before I finish the last set of valve seals I will have a magnetic shield around around that area.

nckwltn

Explorer
You can buy the retainers from the dealer...
I had to buy 4 or 5 when I did my valve seals.... Bought from an online dealer. Was under 15 bucks shipped if I recall.

Found the order. Bought 10 of them here parts@mitsubishiparts.com for 84 cents a piece.

Don't have a part number, but the name on my order was "lockvalve spring retainer"

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Jmichael2000

Thanks for all of the help guys. i finally got them off of a 4 cyl. eclipse and then found out that they are the same on all of these- 2.4L. 1.8L. 3.0L. 3.5L SOHC. 2.0L SOHC. 2.4L, SOHC. 1.8L, SOHC. 2.0L, SOHC. 3.0L, 24 VALVE. 2.4L, 16-VALVE. 3.5L SOHC, 3.8L.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94