What truck/camper combo won't shake apart off road, i.e. Dalton Hwy?

84FLH

sg1;

Thank you for both posts. Good information in both, and I've added it to my notebook.

Best,
84FLH

84FLH

Wonder how something like this would fit your needs? https://aeonrv.com/
Thank you, but no EV is viable for this dinosaur, for so many reasons.

For example, one may install a larger fuel tank; install a secondary fuel tank; or store extra diesel or gasoline in onboard containers to increase range and ensure return from travels. One can't store onboard extra electricity for an electric vehicle.

And while they might not be common, EV battery fires are horrendous. News and Youtube vids show the fires don't go out until the vehicle burns away, despite firefighters best efforts. Could never feel safe traveling, recreating, or sleeping in any EV.

andy_b

Thank you, but no EV is viable for this dinosaur, for so many reasons.

For example, one may install a larger fuel tank; install a secondary fuel tank; or store extra diesel or gasoline in onboard containers to increase range and ensure return from travels. One can't store onboard extra electricity for an electric vehicle.

And while they might not be common, EV battery fires are horrendous. News and Youtube vids show the fires don't go out until the vehicle burns away, despite firefighters best efforts. Could never feel safe traveling, recreating, or sleeping in any EV.

LOL why would you think the Aeon is an EV? It is a normal Transit camper with a Total Composites body. When Aeon says "all-electric," they just mean that all of the camper functions are electric. Definitely over-hyped by them but nothing revolutionary. TBH, it is an example of an excellent option for what you're looking for.

TGK

Actually, the AEON RV is not an EV. It’s an AWD Ford Transit powered by a 3.5L Ecoboost gas engine. However, its systems, are all electric with the exception of an Espar gasoline cabin heater. Although the heater does require electricity for the blower. Ford is bringing a Transit EV to market, but it’s targeted for urban delivery markets as it’s range is rather constrained.

84FLH

LOL why would you think the Aeon is an EV? It is a normal Transit camper with a Total Composites body. When Aeon says "all-electric," they just mean that all of the camper functions are electric. Definitely over-hyped by them but nothing revolutionary. TBH, it is an example of an excellent option for what you're looking for.

:oops: I stopped reading at "all electric"! Old dog, new tricks, and all that! ?

Thanks for the correction and patience with my EV lecture. I'll look at the Aeon again. Can always find something useful to put in my "My First Truck Camper" book.

pnichols

When I retire in 4 years I'd like to travel North America in a hard side truck camper. In particular, Alaska, BC, Yukon, Saskatchewan. I won't be rock crawling but want ability to drive the more remote roads in those places. Roads with washboards, undulations, off camber turns, rocks up to microwave size, etc. My off road experience is limited to local fire roads and jeep trails in New England; 4wd sometimes engaged but mostly not needed except for sandy/loose soil on steep inclines. Might have to attend some kind of driving classes before I leave.

In addition to the usual basics, the camper must have:

-Interior shower
-Good heating system (for 0 degrees to 10 below zero)
-Good insulation in floor, walls, roof
-Pass through

What camper brands offer the above? More importantly, which brands won't rattle themselves apart on the types of roads I'd want to drive? In my reading of trips on the Alcan, Dalton, and Dempster highways, a constant theme is campers and trailers that rattle themselves to death. I'd guess driving style and tire air pressure can mitigate some such damage, but seems that construction is most important element to prevent/limit self destruction from rough roads.

Besides the above concerns, what else should I look for in the camper?

Lastly, what should I look for in the truck? Diesel or gas, and why? If diesel, I'm thinking 7.3 IDI for the simplicity. As a retiree I finally won't be in a hurry, so don't need a PS diesel. If gas, I don't want a 10 MPG engine like the old 460. Definitely want 4wd. But beyond motor, 4wd, and transmission, what else should I look for in the truck? For example, should I put locker(s) on? What suspension changes are needed for bigger tires? What size tire is "too big" and why?

(In the late 1980's I owned a 4 cyl Nissan pickup and a 1954 Dodge pickup. The Nissan was for Home Depot, etc trips. The Dodge was for fun. Model "C1B8 118" (118 wheelbase). It was a rather unusual model in having a long bed (8') and high sides to the bed. 251 (or was it 249?) OHV V8. 6 volt, positive ground. Oil bath air filter. 3 speed column shift, smooth as silk. 100% original, down to the hubcaps. So quiet you couldn't hear it idling 20 feet away. Up close it idled like a sewing machine. No posi anything. Rustoleum brush painted a faded blue. Springs in the seat made you hit your head on the interior ceiling on a bumpy dirt road. We laughed like idiots driving to the swimming hole. Paid $700 for the truck and drove it home without a single problem. I bought an original service manual for around $300 and original parts manual for about the same price. All I ever did was put a new exhaust on it. Wish I never sold it.)

Hard sided camper offers more protection from curious/angry/hungry grizzlies than soft side pop-up campers. Bears have a tremendous sense of smell, even when food's inside 12v fridges or coolers inside vehicles. I can't imagine sleeping comfortably in a soft side pop-up after a nice steak dinner in the middle of nowhere.

Firearm carry in Canada is extremely complicated and limited to hunting only, not self defense. Driving around Canada with a firearm in the vehicle for self protection, and no plan except to find the next remote campsite, will get you arrested, tried, and sentenced.

Thanks in advance for your experienced advice and observations.

I know this is a truck camper discussion, however shortly after retiring we bought a new 24 ft. Class C RV that could take us reliably where we wanted to go for boondock camping and rockhounding - if necessary out on the far side of beyond.

As such I wanted an overkill chassis under the coach structure that was more capable than what was normally used by builders. We wound up with the Ford E450 chassis option under our small Class C (they're normally built on the E350). It has a wide rear dually stance for great lateral stability and can be repaired and maintained just about all over North America.

What we learned on heavily washboarded roads was to SLOW DOWN on washboards to prevent the coach contents from being beat to death. Here's a photo of roads we have traveled on with the RV:
RhVYbnIl.jpg

Last edited:

NVLOC

Observer
Curious what you ended up with? Or like the best...
Very late response to this. Thought i'd get something up here before diving into details.

VANMAN

Observer
HA... Hey DARWIN!

"The 7.3 IDI is slower than a volkswagen van. I owned one." ( I bet you're VW van will not outrun my van)

Well exactly what do you mean by slow....HE IS TALKING ABOUT ALASKA/BC DIRT ROADS PROBABLY DOESNT NEED TO GO 80 MPH....Stock 7.3 IDI wasn't a power house but it is a good engine....and will do what he wants it to do. ( Is 5.9 12 valve better? Probably).

PS...My 7.3 IDI makes 380 HP and 800 TQ.....with 5 speed and DNE2 overdrive engaged 1850 RPM @ 70MPH......OH Yeah I have 1. YES 1....Hot wire to get it started ( Starter motor)....No computers.....

Attachments

• qRjH9uZyRASRW5ovYkbVww.jpg
    qRjH9uZyRASRW5ovYkbVww.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16

84FLH

Everyone;

Since I asked my question two things happened. Inverse of importance, they are:

1) I've come to realize it may've been more accurate to ask "What's a good truck camper for traveling rough roads and off road to/from/in Alaska/Canada; and what are pros/cons of popup vs. hardside?", instead of how I phrased my question.

2) My 88 year old mother had a devastating stroke, requiring permanent nursing home residence. I can't begin to explain the anger and sadness at seeing her non-ambulatory. If I could change places with her I would in a heartbeat. At 6+ plus many inches, I many times left the nursing home in tears, knowing I was leaving my vulnerable mother in the hands of underpaid strangers.

The fragility of life is astounding when it goes wrong and many just aren't aware of how fast life as they know it can turn into a never ending nightmare they can't escape. I'm as guilty as everyone else taking for granted, without any appreciation, of my vision and what health I still have; let alone being unappreciative of my senses of touch, hearing, taste, and smell.

In your quest for adventure, fun, and fulfillment, take time to understand how everything you value and that gives your life meaning can be ripped from you in an eyeblink; and slow down enough to understand how blessed you are if in good health with good family.

While this sad situation puts my Alaska plans on hold, I've not stopped trying to educate myself on TC's and the trucks required to carry them safely and comfortably; including suspension, steering, etc upgrades.

I'm glad to see the many replies to this thread, and look forward to hearing what the voices of experience have to say.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz