What Toyota truck for Box Camper build?

beef tits

RCLB Tundras have the highest payload. If high mileage isn't a concern get at me I have one for sale. Already locked/geared/armored/lifted with airbags on 35s. Used to have a FWC but sold it.

My understanding of the American full size market is that you really get the 300k+ mile reliability only with the diesels…
But there is one gas engine truck that has shown it can go that far or much farther on only routine maintenance, and that is the 2nd gen Tundra. That’s what is so appealing to me about the Tundra. I’d rather run the it a bit overweight knowing it will still be extremely dependable.

Some people run the Tundra overweight by a significant margin and don’t have any issues. Toyota all but directly said as much with that Tundra they gave to ranchers who used it well above its ratings for 100k miles several years ago.

XJLI

Adventurer
But there is one gas engine truck that has shown it can go that far or much farther on only routine maintenance, and that is the 2nd gen Tundra. That’s what is so appealing to me about the Tundra. I’d rather run the it a bit overweight knowing it will still be extremely dependable.

Nearly every V8 in every full size Chevy in the last 20 years is a 500k motor, especially in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

sn_85

Observer
@abiker wow, this thread echoes my experience I'm going through. I went through the same process and still considering options but "settled" on a 2006 DC Tundra with 83k miles on it. My goal with the build is to have a comfortable and capable camper rig meant for ski touring. So it needed to be 4 season capable. I already own a 2013 LC (wifes vehicle) and 2011 Tacoma and I did not want the camper rig to be a daily driver. I went through all the motions. 1st gen tundra, gen 2/2.5 tundra, 3rd gen tundra, HD Ram build etc etc. Here are my thoughts on each
  • 1st gen Tundra - hard(er) to find low mileage ones in good condition. It's a manageable truck size-wise and the DC is spacious without being yuge. An adult can sit in the back seat comfortably unlike a Tacoma DC. The DC's have a large 74" bed. By comparison in the Gen 2/2.5 you need a their double cab with the smaller back seat to have a 6.5' bed. Payload is actually decent for what is now considered a smaller mid size truck, 1400 lbs. I somehow managed to pick up a cherry 83k mi 06 DC about 6 months ago. Exterior and interior was in fantastic condition and other than some light surface rust on the frame it was in great condition. That's the thing you gotta watch with the FGT is the frames as it was very common for those to rust out. Since buying it I've done the timing belt, fluids and will be changing out the lower ball joints. Another common failure point in the FGT. Personally, I think with the FGT you need to buy a camper meant for a Tacoma or other modern day midsize truck. It fits tighter and can handle the weight better with the increased payload and V8.
  • Gen 2/2.5 Tundra - I think the Gen 2.5 Tundra especially the 2020/21 models will go down as one of the best Toyota trucks ever. Honestly wish I had bought a new one when prices were reasonable. However with the current car market prices on them have become unreasonable. I'm not really fond of the Gen 2 looks and Gen 2.5 after 2018 I think are the best ones to get in terms of features, looks, and tech. Great reliability, low maintenance, and durable. Complaints are lowish payload for the size, MPG is pretty bad, and I hate the sizing. CM only comes with a 5.5' bed and to get a 6.5' you need to get a double cab which has a tiny backseat. It's smaller than my 06 DC in the second row. Again, biggest con is the pricing on the right now. Low mileage ones are in the $45k range which is close enough for me just to buy a new gen truck.
  • 3rd gen Tundra - I actually had a deposit on one at MSRP. I test drove them a few times and they were definitely nice trucks. However the price was $60k for a Limited and I would need to sell the Tacoma at least. I looked at a CM long bed and the payload was right at 1400lbs, same as the FGT. Honestly I couldn't justify spending that amount of coin on a truck with such a low payload given that I wanted a camper on it. I can forgive those things on an older and significantly cheaper truck but not on a new truck. I eventually passed on it.
  • HD RAM 3500 - this is honestly the ultimate setup I wanted. Cummins 6.7, all the payload in the world, and all the creature comforts. I priced it out and it was a $66k truck but would be damn future proof for 15-20 years and survive any iterations of my camper build. It would pair well with an Aterra XL, OEV Camp X, Supertramp, Total Composites etc etc. Only problem is that I'd have to sell the FGT and Tacoma to offset some of the cost and then add a camper with/without flatbed depending on the setup. Truck + camper would be in the neighborhood for $120k+ setup at minimum. I honestly could not fathom spending that much on a camping rig that I'd have to drive daily to work. I don't live in an unsafe city but at the same time I don't want people to know I'm driving around in a $100k+ setup with preying eyes that know my work hours either. For me this is the build I want in the end but just not the right one for now. I'm also going to wait for this crazy car market to settle as well before dropping that kind of money for an HD truck and really interested to see what RAM does with their powertrains going forward as they phase out the Hemi
  • I also briefly considered doing a build on my 2011 Tacoma but it's fairly limited due to its smaller 5 foot bed and I hate the small 2nd row for kiddos in the future. It's already tight back there with two dogs. It would work well with an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper or AT Atlas but those are fairly minimal in terms of comfort. It is supercharged though and is a fun daily driver and will remain that way for me.
So for now and likely the next 5-7 years I'll stick with my 2006 Tundra Double Cab with only 86k miles on it. Plan is in place to get a Total Composite hard sided camper for it in the 7' midsize Tacoma variant. Empty it weighs 600lbs and I'll likely do a nice interior build, heater (not sure which one yet), and water will likely be from a powered water can. I want to keep electrical and water systems pretty simple. I plan to get a flatbed with some side boxes for it as well. Best off all, it'll be a completely paid for build and totally guilt free. Again principles will be to build a Tacoma sized camper for my FGT. I've also heard from AT Overland themselves that they're planning to release a mid size slide in version of the Aterra sometime in 2023. Should be sub 1k pounds built out. It should also be $$$ but 2nd to none in terms of quality. FGT + Aterra slide-in would be quite the combo.

Of your options I'd go with either #2 or with an HD 3/4 or 1-ton truck. If you're springing $60k+ for a project vehicle I don't think that the 3rd Gen Tundra makes sense since the payload is so low. Option #2 would at least be a known quantity and be fairly cheap and a new HD truck would provide most capability and be future proof. Everything else in the middle is just kind of muddy.

With all that being said I need to start a build thread for the Tundra at some point.

PXL_20220325_233419373.jpgPXL_20220324_144445381.jpgPXL_20220324_154431838.jpg

Last edited:

abiker

Go with the 2022 CrewMax Long Bed. Why? Cause I want to see a 2022 get built up..... ?

Definitely on my mind! Maybe this first one is just a practice build. But like many Sprinter people, the idea of driving a $60k+ vehicle through brush and scraping it on rocks seems crazy. Especially when it comes with buying a the first model year vehicle. But the upside is that it could tow our trailer even with a box, where the first gen's struggle a bit.

abiker

...I went through the same process and still considering options but "settled" on a 2006 DC Tundra with 83k miles on it.

Maybe it's confirmation bias, but your post was sort of exactly what I was looking for. I reached the same conclusions - it's not that the HD trucks wouldn't do the job and have good bang for the buck, but the amount of money that would just be sitting in the driveway, maybe not getting used enough because I took it apart and it still needs XXXXX re-installed and instead I want to go mountain biking... having $60k+ sitting in the driveway isn't really palatable for me.

With all that being said I need to start a build thread for the Tundra at some point.

Yes, you should - especially with a Total Composites camper build. I'm looking for something similar, but more like 3+ season than true 4 season. I lived in SoCal where the Flippac was great almost year round, but in CO with a marginal quality rain fly and no heater... it's just easy to run out of fun cards.

Are you in Idaho? I'm about a 40m drive from SLEE, I pass it all the time heading to the mountains. If you are in CO, it would be great to see your camper once built.

Last Q - any tips on shopping for Tundras? Seems like per Craigslist, an 83k mile '06 Tundra would be $22k+ right now. The used market is still pretty high, and I'd be looking for something at the very high end of well maintained, low miles, and I'm picky about having some certain accessories like steering wheel audio controls but no moon roof, for example.

Thanks!

sn_85

Observer
Maybe it's confirmation bias, but your post was sort of exactly what I was looking for. I reached the same conclusions - it's not that the HD trucks wouldn't do the job and have good bang for the buck, but the amount of money that would just be sitting in the driveway, maybe not getting used enough because I took it apart and it still needs XXXXX re-installed and instead I want to go mountain biking... having $60k+ sitting in the driveway isn't really palatable for me.

Yes, you should - especially with a Total Composites camper build. I'm looking for something similar, but more like 3+ season than true 4 season. I lived in SoCal where the Flippac was great almost year round, but in CO with a marginal quality rain fly and no heater... it's just easy to run out of fun cards.

Are you in Idaho? I'm about a 40m drive from SLEE, I pass it all the time heading to the mountains. If you are in CO, it would be great to see your camper once built.

Last Q - any tips on shopping for Tundras? Seems like per Craigslist, an 83k mile '06 Tundra would be $22k+ right now. The used market is still pretty high, and I'd be looking for something at the very high end of well maintained, low miles, and I'm picky about having some certain accessories like steering wheel audio controls but no moon roof, for example.

Thanks!

Yep, I live in Boise. I’ll be back in Denver once I get my flatbed installed but not sure if I’ll have my camper before or after that. I’d be more than happy to show you the camper if I have it by then. I’ll start a build thread once things get fully underway.

I purchased my 2006 Double Cab with 83k miles on it for right at $19k in Nevada. Truck was a Tahoe truck for pretty much all of its life. There was a little surface rust on the differential and some tiny rust spots on the frame but overall was in great shape. Much better than anything you might find in Boise, SLC or Denver tbh. I was somewhat lucky that it was only a 4 hr drive away to pick it up. Thus far I’ve put in $2-$3k on things like fluids, timing belt, tires, battery, and lower ball joints. I have a set of Katzkin leather waiting to be installed and then will begin the mods to help support the camper. Like you I’m pretty picky with parts so it’s not going to be a cheap build by any means but I want to be able to handle a camper safely. I’ll definitely need a suspension overhaul, new brakes and a re-gear. Worth doing all that for a 16 year old truck? Who knows.

As far as purchasing advice I don’t know that I can share anything you don’t already know. Prices are high especially on a good condition, low mileage, 05-06 DC Tundra. I think people are realizing how nice these Tundras are and interest has definitely picked back up with them so the good ones go fast. I found mine on Autotrader at a GMC/Chevy dealer in Elko, NV. I think they’re pretty pricey in the PNW but I put a pretty wide search on one.

Good luck on finding the right Tundra but I think prices are starting to cool down on the first gen Tundra’s and the car market in general. Something has to give with everything going in the economy and gas prices.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Definitely on my mind! Maybe this first one is just a practice build. But like many Sprinter people, the idea of driving a $60k+ vehicle through brush and scraping it on rocks seems crazy. Especially when it comes with buying a the first model year vehicle. But the upside is that it could tow our trailer even with a box, where the first gen's struggle a bit.
Have you driven both trucks yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles