What to support my camper with

oly884

As some of you know, I'm going to be getting a camper soon. Along with that comes weight (around 700) loaded down.

I've got air shocks right now. See thread

They work well, and can support the camper. However, they don't provide much sway stability even when unlinked.

A rear swaybar with disconnects would work fine and let me keep the shocks. (see: cheaper)

However, I could get some nice shocks and Air bags. They'll support more weight, and offer much better sway stability, however they are more expensive, $250 for the air bags, and another 75-100 for the shocks.

What do you all think? kcwyo, I know you have air bags, any issues with them being over extended? Firestone's site says this:

NOTE:
Once the air helper springs are installed, it is recommended that the vehicle not be lifted by the frame, as over-extension
may occur, resulting in damage to the air helper springs. However, should it become necessary to raise the vehicle by
the frame, deflate both air helper springs completely.

Now just lifting the vehicle by the frame would not be too different than articulation when off road.

photoleif

Observer
might be worth sending a note to firestone and asking just how much articulation the airbags can handle. they've got to have tested it to be able to make that statement.

btw i have to use this new gif. so cute! haha :088:

and this one too..... :1888fbbd: cracks me up. he needs a narrow fork and some coals ;-)

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Air bags will help with the weight and indirectly help with sway because the effective spring rate has been raised. If you use a single line to feed both bags then the bags can transfer air side to side and the sway resistance will decrease with time as the air transfers side to side. The bigger the feed line the less sway control they will provide.

A sway bar transfers load to the oposite side of the vehicle without increasing the spring rate. For a load that raises the CG significantly (such as a slide in) you may be better off going with a sway bar. You may find that if the truck is sitting relatively level with the load that the sway may be better off left hooked up. The extra weght of the camper will help over come the sway bar to som extent and the weight will lower you working spring rate and make a softer ride. Softer ride will deal better with washboard road.

You may find you want both bags and a sway. Run a large line between the bags with a valve. When on paved roads keep the valve closed and it will help with sway. Off road open the valve to alow better articulation. It may be enough with the extra load that you would not need to disconnect the sway bar.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Airbags

No problems here. I went with Air Lift instead of Firestone but I think the applications are nearly identical. I chose the Air Lift because I liked their Smart Air System and I may add that down the road.

I feel I gave these airbags a pretty vigorous test over the week I spent in Utah in May. They gave me no problems other than I should have aired them back up as they lost 10-15psi over the week on the trail. The Leadville trip had a few sections where I was able to stretch them out a little too. No problems then either. Jonathan Hanson had warned me about watching them to make sure they don't "walk off" the spring perch. This will be something to constantly watch out for.

I honestly don't think I could overextend these. With my long wheel base and my rear axle positioned more forward in the bed than on a Tacoma, my rear wheel flex is not very impressive. I would go with the airbags, the ride is a ton better with them. I know the price is tough to choke down but now is not the time to be thrifty. If they held up for Jonathan for years and OutbacKamper for 9 months in OZ, you shouldn't have a thing to worry about.

Here's the only pics that I have of my "rear flex." Pitiful, I know. If I actually had some, I'd take better pics....

Attachments

• Utah 160.jpg
    Utah 160.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Utah 421.jpg
    Utah 421.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Utah 420.jpg
    Utah 420.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 71

oly884

Well, I got the air lift air bags and some new shocks (went with NAPA shocks, cheap, easy, etc.) and the ride is great without the camper.

It'll only be about 2 weeks till I have my nice new FWC sitting back there.

Oh, and I also got an Engel 45 :D

With my group 29 deep cycle batt, the 50 watt solar panel, and the battery combiner, I don't think I'll run into any issues running out of juice.

The goal once i get my camper, besides camping, is to build some thing on the other side of the camper from the couch for my stove, water, and storage.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
kcowyo said:
I would go with the airbags...... If they held up for Jonathan for years and OutbacKamper for 9 months in OZ, you shouldn't have a thing to worry about.

I am a little late to respond here, I just saw my name mentioned and had to reply.

KC;
Who says I have airbags?
Even though my total vehicle weight in the Outback was 11,000lb I did not have, or need, airbags. My stock overload springs were not even fully engaged!

oly884;
Congrats on the new airbags, I hope they work well for you. Did you go with the shell model camper? Make sure you install the Engel low enough to be able to open fully without poping up the camper roof (if you are installing it there?). With my 75 watt solar panel and 2 Optima blue tops, I can typically go 2 or 3 days running the Engel depending on weather (cool and sunny is best) without running the truck.

Cheers
Mark

oly884

OutbacKamper said:
oly884;
Congrats on the new airbags, I hope they work well for you. Did you go with the shell model camper? Make sure you install the Engel low enough to be able to open fully without poping up the camper roof (if you are installing it there?). With my 75 watt solar panel and 2 Optima blue tops, I can typically go 2 or 3 days running the Engel depending on weather (cool and sunny is best) without running the truck.

Cheers
Mark

Yup, I got the shell model. I also got the furnace and arctic pack (MT winters bring sub zero temps and those two things will be a life saver) I also got the camper jacks and the side fold out couch.

I'll keep in mind about installing the engel low enough. It's also good to hear that you were able to run for that long with the panels and the batts. What else were you running on your rig? Or was it just the engel?

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
David;
During those 2-3 days the Engel ran as a freezer, plus we would run the lights for a few hours each evening, we ran the fan occasionally, the water pump for very short amounts of time and the 800 watt inverter for several hours a day (laptop, camera battery charger, etc)

Cheers
Mark

oly884

OutbacKamper said:
David;
During those 2-3 days the Engel ran as a freezer, plus we would run the lights for a few hours each evening, we ran the fan occasionally, the water pump for very short amounts of time and the 800 watt inverter for several hours a day (laptop, camera battery charger, etc)

Cheers
Mark

Ok, cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior