What to look for on test drive of used Montero's

merrion13

I'm in the market for a cheap used ride, looking at 96-01 Monteros.
I'll be looking at a few vehicles this weekend, and curious to ask the experts here about what general items to look for when "kicking tires" on the Monteros?

I won't be able to take a deep dive on the truck, just looking for some basics everyone can tell me about specific items to look at when I'm test driving. Thanks!

SoCalMonty

Explorer
If you might ever take it in the dirt, you might want to look down to the 1994 model year SR's.

Same as any other used car...check fluids, leaks, brakes, overall tightness of vehicle. Check the 4x4 operation...if the 4x4 lights are flashing at you, that's a bargaining chip in your favor. Also, I would have the owner start the car for you, while you stand at the rear of the vehicle and watch the tailpipe for smoke on startup. Valve stem seals are common wear items on higher mileage Mitsus.

Good luck!

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Some '01 Monty's had a temp gauge issue and a weeping rear main seal. Be sure to check the full function of the folding middle seat as well.

merrion13

Thank you both for the replies. So if the 4x4 lights are flashing, I'm assuming that means an error? If they are solid, that means 4 wheel drive is operable/working ok?

Vehicle will be mostly used for backcountry roads, no rock crawling, more for a rig to get to and from trailheads for hiking/climbing/camping.

Blighty

Gravel Bike Racer, Bushcraft Wannabee
The other HUGE job is to check if the turn signal fluid has been replaced. Tardy attention to this can cause problems down the road..

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
...So if the 4x4 lights are flashing, I'm assuming that means an error? If they are solid, that means 4 wheel drive is operable/working ok?

Fire up the Google and you'll have enough knowledge about this and other Montero peculiarities in no time.

You've specified '96 through '01 as the years you're looking at. That period comprises three distinct "generations" with various sub-models in each generation, not counting the Sports. All would suit for your intended use, and each has specific attributes.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
What kind of price ranges you finding in your neck of the woods for montys?

I pretty much only look at 94-97 SR's...but those seem to go for $1500 in rough shape, to $2500 in decent/nice shape. Usually it seems they're at 165k low side to 225k high side on the mileage.

You can ballpark it on CL by selecting a metro region and search by title (Montero) and see what price ranges you find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online