What to look for in a pop up?

Photobug

I am buying a trailer to mount a pop-up on. I am just wondering what to look for in a pop up.

I am kind of all over the place when looking. There is an 8 foot Sun Lite near me with solar, queen mattress and new canvas for $2,000. There's also a Hallmark at 5 times the price.

What are the good ones? What ones to avoid? Are there good years and ones not so good?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Rando

Explorer
If you are looking for an older used camper, then the primary factor is condition - a well cared for 'low end' camper like a Palomino or Sun Lite would probably be a better bet than an abused Hallmark or Four Wheel Camper, unless you want a major project/rebuild.

Second factor maybe construction. Water damage can be a (hidden) factor in all older campers, however with aluminium framed campers, water damage doesn't typically lead to structural issues (ie frame rot). Soft walls made out of Hypalon/PVC also tend to seal and wear better than canvas walls.

Of course having a layout and feature that suit your intended use is also important.

Photobug

Thanks Rando,
Condition is important to me.
Not looking for a project got enough of those at home. I don't mind repairing a system or two just don't want to make any structural repairs.

The sunlite looks in great condition stored indoors.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Look at everything on it, open all the , cabinets, under the mattress.

None are perfect, grab something that does not max out your budget, or skill set. and Enjoy.

billiebob

I hope the Dodge is not squatting from the tongue weight. But yes, service bodies make excellent trailers.
Service body, plus a slide in popup.... you'll be camping by the weekend.

Photobug

Might not be a problem, you can get receiver extensions, I've seen them up to 48". Utility bed will be very nice.

Right now I have a Sunlite popup under consideration that has a 48" overhang, that would work with a short extension 18". I would like to consider some better popups. Hallmark or Outfitter. The longer extensions work in conjunction with a Torklift receiver. So I would need to trade out my receiver for a Torklift and buy their extension, I figure around $1200 to get 4 feet of extension, unless I figure out another option.

Photobug

I hope the Dodge is not squatting from the tongue weight. But yes, service bodies make excellent trailers.
Service body, plus a slide in popup.... you'll be camping by the weekend.

I am not sure what is causing the squat. I have a boat project 3 hours from home. I started off the trailer delivery with a trip to the boat that required every tool I own (not really but I carried them anyways) and camping gear. Then I visited Home Depot and picked up another FLA battery while visiting the big city. The trailer had two spare tires in the front of it. So not sure why the truck was squatting. It was snowing this morning and has warmed up to only raining today, I am waiting for a dry day to explore the features get a weight, balance, etc.

billiebob

The longer extensions work in conjunction with a Torklift receiver.
I'm guessing, you are extending the ball/receiver. The farther you extend the ball the more leverage the tongue weight has to squat the rear suspension, but extending the trailer tongue reduces the hitch weight, having less effect to squat the truck, also the longer the tongue, shorter the distance from the ball to the rear axle the better the trailer will follow, the better it will track on the highway.

From the look of the trailer hitch, reworking it, getting the trailer to ride level, extending it to get the room you need to fit the plan you have would make the most sense.

Photobug

I'm guessing, you are extending the ball/receiver. The farther you extend the ball the more leverage the tongue weight has to squat the rear suspension, but extending the trailer tongue reduces the hitch weight, having less effect to squat the truck, also the longer the tongue, shorter the distance from the ball to the rear axle the better the trailer will follow, the better it will track on the highway.

From the look of the trailer hitch, reworking it, getting the trailer to ride level, extending it to get the room you need to fit the plan you have would make the most sense.

Thanks for the info. My brain had the math backwards on trailer balance.

I had been looking for a trailer like this for a few months and finally found this one. Bringing it home included a long road trip that included a 3 day exhausting road trip. Except for the total weight of the trailer, all the details can be workable.

The trailer has a pintle hitch and when I got to the Pintle Hitch store they only had one that fit a 2" receiver, which was a straight one (their website showed a lot of options and they did not answer their phones) so i had no options, my plan was to buy an adjustable height hitch attachment but only one the straight arm was available. I had no choice drag the trailer home with what I had, now I can figure it out.

I am starting a project on my truck to update steering because older Dodges have a limited lifespan, and possibly suspension that will include a 2-3" lift. Until the trailer is built and the suspension is done I am going with what I got, it tows fine for now.

The guy I bought it from built it himself, it is crazy heavy duty. I will ask him to help design or add a longer tongue onto it. With a total of 10 storage units with the likelihood I add a rear hitch means I have 10-11 options to adjust the balance of the whole unit after an extension is figured out and a camper is added.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne