What to do with “Marge”. The little green truck

4runnerteq

Explorer
My older son turns 30 next month. I bought him this little 92 Toyota at 16. It was an awesome little truck. He drove it ten years, wrecked it on day one, totaled it a few months later. We kept it and put it back together with a rebuilt title. He’s driving a new Rav4 now And loves it.
C951DCB1-91DB-4E2E-9507-B5977F27D883.jpeg

7 years later the younger one is ready. I find a 93 just like it only different color. Both obviously 4wd, also automatic and 22RE. Actually kind of rare. He named her “Marge” right from day one. The white was low miles. Less than 200k when we sold it. Marge had 250k ish and now has 315k. The little 22RE is getting pretty weak. We traded for a nice little Scion TC at work and I traded him back the truck for the TC. He was moving out and it was time for something a little more reliable and may be a little more modern. He loves the TC. Still loves Marge too. Marge needs an engine or rebuild though. 80 psi on one cylinder. She still runs but has a bad miss at idle. Drives great still though. Well, as great as a 28 year old 300k truck should. But Marge is taking up space in the driveway (not really a big deal) , but I’m torn as to what to do with her. I do love these trucks. So simple and reliable. Even on three and a half cylinders I loaded her up with junk over the top of the roof completely full bed to hall off to the dump recently. It cost a whopping 3 dollars every 6 months for her stay on the insurance. I‘d kind of like to either replace the engine or rebuild the one in it, just not sure I want to put the money (while not a huge concern, a concern none the less) or the time into another project vehicle. I’ve had a few throughout my years. We could sell her off, and in today’s market she would probably fetch a pretty good amount. Or maybe just not do anything and keep her around just in case. In case of what I don’t know. For sure though I don’t want her to just rot away.
9C386C4C-4360-40D6-AACB-07B9AC21E239.jpeg
23F4C05D-3CF0-4254-B256-0A8F3BCFEE32.jpeg
759A7867-C0C5-4F9D-BF0F-824B49DADA4B.jpeg
FC9747EF-DF10-44F9-8F4B-1F273948316C.jpeg

Last edited:

toastyjosh

Adventurer

or pour some marvel mystery oil down the affected cylinder hole and let it sit. Pour the rest of the bottle of marvel in the oil. Clean all the plugs. Run it for a while with the marvel in the oil. Change the oil, put in some cheap 15w40 diesel oil and drive it until it blows apart, you will be surprised how long it will last.

ITTOG

There are a lot more issues than just a weak engine. The only way it makes sense, to me at least, to spend anymore money on it is if you have some emotional connection with it. If that is the case then a complete restoration makes sense. Otherwise, cherish the memories and move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94