What they are trying to protect Southern Utah from...

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link to the movie. I did see the wells a few weeks ago right out side Canyonlands:(

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Thanks for the link to the movie. I did see the wells a few weeks ago right out side Canyonlands:(

Lets just be aware of the irony. For example the Mexican Mountain Road in the Swell, a road we use for take-outs when floating the Swell, is a direct result of oil/gas drilling in fact the well head is still there. Poison Springs, Hole in the Rock Trail, Black Dragon Canyon, countless Moab routes and hundreds and hundreds of other routes here in Utah are all descendants of old, gas and mining here in Utah. While nobody wants it 'now' we must realize how we have become the fruits of their efforts not just by driving our oil dependent vehicles but driving on the routes that 'scar' the landscape for future generations. :D

PS, there are already well heads in Canyonlands ;)

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Kurt-

While I think you and I agree that the roads that have been put in for oil and mining in the uranium boom of the last century are pretty tame. The problem with gas exploration is the methods by which they do it. Imagine the roads of the swell clogged with semis hauling over 2 million gallons of water per well, or the noxious fumes from there evaporation ponds wafting into your camp when the wind blows just right.

There is a significant difference in gas drilling and oil drilling. Oil is bad enough, what the gas company does to extract natural gas is horrendous.

Did you know that natural gas drilling is exempt from:

• The Clean Water Act
  • The Clean Air Act
  • Super Fund Sites

This all coming directly from the 2005 Energy Bill that exempted Natural Gas Drilling from the Clean Water Act.

And as to wells in Canyonlands, there are exploratory oil wells from the 1950's, there are no gas wells.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...While I think you and I agree that the roads that have been put in for oil and mining in the uranium boom of the last century are pretty tame...

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite content with the roads (ie improvements) we already have, its just the irony to me. Some are convinced that these areas are pristine and have never been impacted by man yet the very roads they use to get to these pristine locations are the benefits of mans impacts. Doesn't make me want more drilling just an interesting contrast :D

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Same road into Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands NP, and the beginning of the White Rim Trail. We saw that well last month, it surprised me as it wasn't visible a year ago. But it's very visible on Hwy 313 now.

The Wind River Indian reservation just north of Lander said 'No', to this kind of development a couple of years ago when the tribes learned of other communities who had allowed it, and were later finding their water supplies decimated. Bad, bad stuff... Good link Sinuhe.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Hydraulic fracturing is the Devil. I can't believe the practice is still legal in the U.S. Thanks for the links Sinuhe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior