what solar panel to use

rideglobally

Adventurer
many years ago this forum was very useful in setting up the solar system on my rig. now i want to put a solar panel on my toy hauler. i have a lots of space on the roof 8'x 8'. i am building the toy hauler now so this is the time to figure out solar panel location. i basically want to fill up the roof with solar panels with a couple of vents. my question; what is the most efficient solar panel on the market for my application today? i also want to figure out solar controllers etc, if there is a kit that will work let me know. thx

Attachments

• toy hauler.jpg
    toy hauler.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 36

Joe917

Explorer
The larger rigid panels give the most watts per $.
You have room for 2 300+ watt panels (48 volt), hook them up in parallel (600watts at 48volts) to a Morningstar MPPT60.
The higher voltage and the MPPT is the most efficient.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Most efficient ? Sunpower X22 https://us.sunpower.com/sites/sunpo...s-x22-series-360-residential-solar-panels.pdf @ 22% panel efficiency
Pretty efficient but much cheaper - https://www.lgenergy.com.au/products/solar-panels/lg-neon-2/lg320n1c @ 20% panel efficiency

"Standard" house panels run between 13 and 16% panel efficiency.

Both the LG and Sunpower will produce more energy per rated watt , and more energy over time due to the technology used.

My 300W LG Neons are 2 years old now -

solar2yr.jpg

4 of the panels peaked at 1115W on the battery side of the controller (after the "MPPT Losses" )
Unfortunately my batteries were full before midday so I was able to see if it may have peaked even higher.

1136W from 1200W of panels = 94.6% efficiency from solar panels
1115W from 1200W of panels = 93% efficiency from solar panels to battery.
MPPT Loss = just ~1.7%

Earlier the panels were outputting 900W or 75% of their rated power as early as 9am.

We couldn't be happier with the grid-tie panels performance... the same can't be said for our 4 x 100W flexible panels which we haven't bothered deploying at all this year :/

rideglobally

Adventurer
i called Blue Sky for tech support and i got a voice message. here is my current solar controller for my rig, i am also up dating top in preparation for our trip. my question is will this controller work on the 320 watts panel either the sun power or LG, pls see suggested solar panels above. thx

Attachments

• solar controller.jpg
    solar controller.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 18
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 18

rideglobally

Adventurer
not easy to get sun power or LG solar panels. what do you think of Tynsolar? i can get a 250 watt Tynsolar panel which will be a match to my 20 amp solar controller.thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior