What size tubing?

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Im starting on my 4x8 utility/camping trailer and am wondering what size tubing to make the box out of. The frame is 1/4" 3x3. Here is a pic of what Im starting with. I think I want to put the box tubing on the inside of the perimeter so that it is supported underneath by the frame rather than hanging it off the side. Any thought, sugestions, concerns?

-Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_8497a.jpg
    IMG_8497a.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 439

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
1/4" 3x3... at first I thought holy crap, then I saw you're talking angle. I don't like using angle, because, for example a 1/8" wall 3x3 box tube would weigh exactly the same amount, but would be much stronger. Anyway, you've got what you've got.

How high are you thinking of making this thing? That's a factor. Assuming standard kinda box height, I'd suggest maybe 2x2x1/8" or 2x1x1/8". We'd really need more info to give a more definite answer. How many vertical members will use use, what's the loading...

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Im not a huge fan of angle either, but as you've said, I've got what I've got, and while not ideal, I think it will be adequate.

I'm thinking 36" tall, uprights every 2 feet with the possibility of a detachable hinged lid. I have a couple of Land Rover roofs I've toyed with using. They are 56" wide and might be more trouble than they are worth.

I like the idea of a RTT but if that happens its much further down the road, but I'd like to plan for it.

-Jeff

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
I used 1.5" 1/8 tube. Plenty strong and the skin will help add structure too. My frame on the other hand is way over built with 2x3x3/16 tube. Much less next time :)

wely

Observer
Similar plans

I also have a utility trailer I am planing to up grade. so i will bewatching your post.

Box Rocket

You could check out my build if you want. I used 2.5 x 2.5" .120 wall for the main frame. 1.5 x 1.5" .063 wall for the uprights and there are nine of them without the tailgate. Also a top rail of 1 x 3" .063 wall. I feel like (at least for my uses) it is WAY more stout than in needs to be. But I prefer having something overbuilt rather than underbuilt.

I would think that some 2" would be plenty, and you could even just used 1.5" for the box and be just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94