What size propane tank?

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
The cost (round here at least) to fill a 5, 10 or 20 Lb tank is almost the same so a 20 Lb tank is more economical to run. I think its also cheaper to buy than a smaller tank.

That said, we've had a 10 Lb tank for the best part of a decade and its great. One fill lasts for a month on the road and there's gas left at the end. We use a Coleman 2 burner gas stove and a small gas grill of Chinese origin for cooking. I think my VW Westy had a similar sized tank and lasted just as long. We cook most evenings and boil water for tea at regular intervals during the day.

I must admit a squat 5 Lb tank would be easier to handle and could probably be mounted in the spare wheel on the back of my Jeep.

That was my 2 oz!

Cheers,
Graham

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
grahamfitter said:
The cost (round here at least) to fill a 5, 10 or 20 Lb tank is almost the same so a 20 Lb tank is more economical to run. I think its also cheaper to buy than a smaller tank.

That said, we've had a 10 Lb tank for the best part of a decade and its great. One fill lasts for a month on the road and there's gas left at the end. We use a Coleman 2 burner gas stove and a small gas grill of Chinese origin for cooking. I think my VW Westy had a similar sized tank and lasted just as long. We cook most evenings and boil water for tea at regular intervals during the day.

I must admit a squat 5 Lb tank would be easier to handle and could probably be mounted in the spare wheel on the back of my Jeep.

That was my 2 oz!

Cheers,
Graham

Thats too bad that the cost is the same or similar regardless of how much propane you need. I've heard the same for the guys with the CO2 systems, that the cost is almost the same regardless of whether it's a 10, 15, or 20lb tank.

I get mine filled at U-Haul, right around the corner from my house. They charge by the weight. The guy puts the cylinder on a scale while filling it. Then he radios ahead to the cashier how much I needed. So, I don't think I pay more to fill my 4lb vs. my 20lb tank.

Last edited:

granitex1

Adventurer
There is an adapter that you can get at Harbor Freight to refill the 1lb tanks instead of pitching them.

displayitem.taf

I picked one up a few years ago and have never looked back.

Willman

Great thread!

I have tried to refill those little 1 lb guys.....I have a hard time getting them all the way fill.....

I think a 4 lb tank is in the future for me as well as a Partner stove to go with my trailer!

I do have a Buddy heater as well......Just get the adapter and I'm set.

:elkgrin:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Cooking with gas... propane that is.

Willman said:
I think a 4 lb tank is in the future for me as well as a Partner stove to go with my trailer!

Very cool stove. I'm in the market for one as well!
Just picked up the 5lb tank this evening. I test fit a Super Quick Fist and it barely closes on the last hook but will work to secure the tank in place. It will also fit under the new deck I'm building for the back of the Tacoma. :elkgrin:

This set up will make for some "Good Eats".

Robert Bills

Explorer
I use a DOT horizontal tank mounted in front of my trailer tub. Found it at an old time trailer supply/repair shop used for $25. My recollection is that it holds 10 lbs. It is more than enough to fuel my stove, grill, and propane lantern for a 9 day trip (my longest trip since I acquired the tank).

HPIM0134.JPG

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
History repeats itself.

Funny how some things come full circle. I searched ExPo before posting a question and found I had already posted the same question almost exactly 7 years earlier! :Wow1:

I had to get a replacement tank for the Partner Steel stove as my old one went missing during one of the moves...

I now have a new 5 lb tank filled and ready for spring! :elkgrin:

Scoutman

Explorer
So have you found the 5# to be sufficient? I'm battling between a 5# and a 10# tank at the moment myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles