What size Maggiolina to get for my 4runner?

dsignatius

Greetings all, hoping anybody with experience with this tent can give me some input. Looking at ordering one soon and would be much appreciated!

Vehicle set up:
5th Gen 4runner
2 yakima crossbars (looking at adding 1-2 more if needed)
Occasionally need to transport a lightweight canoe or kayak on top of the tent. Due to this getting the Grand tour model.
Will take this tent on some off road trails.

Tent is for two slim people, tallest being me at 5'10 (177cm) and shortest being 5'3 (157cm). Due to the nature of my job, I have frequent time off so I am able to travel for about two weeks each month.

Would a medium tent be overkill? The medium is approx 6inches (15cm) wider than the small. Medium is only 8lbs heavier. Overall 400 USD more.

So is this just a matter of increased price for increased space, or are there any additional factors I need to consider such as overhang?

Thank you.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
You are wise to be thinking about roof tents this way. Bigger is not necessarily better. Years ago some of the "experts" didn't like the Maggiolina and called is a "coffin" but I feel they missed the point of the design. It is small and has a low roof on purpose, it really shines as a cold weather tent. You want insulation and small spaces to use passive heating. I've found that a small Maggiolina will be noticeably warmer than the outside air in the morning when you open up the tent.

Getting back to size. Small will do for two people, especially in cold but if you are going to be using the tent on a long journey then a medium would be a good choice. You have a bit more room for stuff and when one person rolls over, the other doesn't have to.

Your thoughts about weight are also on point. I'm a big advocate of keeping weights low up high. You will feel a bit of difference with a medium tent. Not only is the tent a bit heavier but you tend to put more inside. The nice thing about a clam shell tent is you can store things inside. Don't overdo it. You will really feel the kayak up there. I used to recommend getting a small super light trailer. I don't know if they make them anymore but they are good for taking your kayaks to the water too. I hate trailers except for long cumbersome items.

Lastly, think of your tent like a sleeping bag. Buy a tent for what you need and the conditions you go out in, not the vehicle. I have my tent on it's third vehicle a small wagon. I use to have it on a really big SUV. Times and vehicles change, you and your needs don't. I still lament selling the very old Columbus tent I had (we called it Frenchie's tent), it was perfect for what I need. Yes, the tent I have now is better (designed for Germany) but just not as good for me, a personal thing.

Don't know if this helps but I think you are on the right track about going about your decision.

dsignatius

Great input, thanks.

After reading your response, made some measurements and talked with my other half, decided on the small.

No doubt the medium would be more comfortable especially on longer trips, but I think especially since I plan on carrying an additional load at times I should be a little more cautious. I also do not like how much a medium would overhang on my 4R.

May need to change my driving habits a tad though :LOL:

dsignatius

The Kayak or Canoe on the top. I would recommend three cross bars on the 4 runner (because of the off-road use and the additional weight of the Kayak or Canoe. Then you will need two bars for the boats. Something to think about is the height of the vehicle and the RTT. Not knowing the height of your vehicle with the RTT on top, will you be able to get it up that high to load and unload it? Years ago I carried my spare tire on the top of the extreme. Then I bought larger tires and the lifting the tire up and me getting older, I stopped that.

Thank you for the input as well. I will take that into consideration. All great and very helpful information.

I will try out multiple things with carrying the additional loads, and if doesnt work out ill just take a ground tent and my cargo box if I need to use my kayak.

Lets just say I have done more than enough research on my RTT choice, and your words are reassuring I am making the right choice.

JackW

Explorer
I had a Maggiolina for ten years and spent a couple of hundred nights in it. Great tent and no complaints at all but I recently sold it and have a new Terrapod tent on order. Check out the thread in camping equipment on them. I wanted something lighter and lower profile than the Maggiolina, built out of modern materials to a very high standard and the Terrapod is all of that. It even has an optional integral roof rack.

But the Maggiolina is an excellent choice of roof tent, if I had to buy anything other than what I've got on order it would probably be another Maggiolina.

Last edited:

Westy

Adventurer
I've been using a medium Maggiolina Extreme for awhile now. Its mounted on an '85 Land Cruiser so the size works quite well but on a 5th gen 4runner that roof profile is much narrower so I see your dilemma.

First, your going to be very happy with the decision either way because its a quality product tried and true and very comfortable. These tents simply function well, ours is an older generation model still working great in all weather conditions including wind - its not a nuisance. I'd replace it with the same tent if that day ever comes.

I would suggest creating a mock up with cardboard of both size options at your residence and "test" the size in person to see how the dimensions work for your expectations, sleep positions, etc. You'll be able to get a good feel, setup just as you would with sleeping bags, etc.
Also you can use this footprint on your 4runner to determine overhang and appropriate size.

For regular extended trips like you are referring too....the medium may be worth the extra size if your wife is frequently traveling along with but its really going to be a personal preference dependent on how much room you both require or want to have available. My wife and I are very comfortable in the medium, similar height comparison as you described too.

I'd add a 3rd crossbar.

dsignatius

Thank you everybody who replied!

Picked up a small grand tour in Santa Cruz and I installed it this morning.

Very happy with my decision. I think a medium would have been too big.
F2C02761-F546-420F-89C5-7792D222E0AB.jpeg

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
Congratulations, that's an outstanding tent. I think the medium would be too large for the FourRunner and that's the right size for your truck.

You can't go wrong with a Maggiolina - I've looked at just about every tent I could and I haven't found any better.

Myron

Hello all,

I'm struggling with a similar decision and thought maybe I could piggyback on this thread since the OP's post generated such great discussion.

I am looking to buy an AutoHome Columbus and I can't decide between the Small and Medium size. The Columbus will be primarily mounted on a trailer, but I'd also like the ability to mount it on a BMW X3 or Jeep Wrangler 2-dr. I prioritize weight savings and simplicity equally as much as sleeping comfort, although my wife would probably prioritize sleeping comfort over weight savings and simplicity.

I'm 5'10-1/2", 185#, medium build. My wife is 5'3" and slight build. My concern is that the shorter length of the Small would be cramped and that my feet might bump up against the roof panel. There is nowhere I can go and see these and actually try one out, so I'm hoping someone may have guidance.

If you own a Columbus Small, and would be willing to share your experience with the sleeping comfort of it relative to your body size/shape, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Myron

Myron

Good news (I think) -- in looking at AutoHome's site a little more closely, it turns out the Small and Medium are the same length, and are only different in width. I should've seen this before.

Myron

Myron you are 100% correct in the length. The Med. is about 6" wider. I am 6'2" tall a a size 12 on shoe size. I had no problem with the length. I am a side sleeper and only when I lay on my back would my feet touch lightly the top of the tent.

Da Frenchman

Thank you, Frenchie! This is really good to know since I can't see and try one out in person. Could I impose upon you for another piece of information? I have combed AutoHome's site (both the US site and the european one) and can't find it. I'm modifying my Outback trailer to carry a Columbus Variant Medium, and I need to know how far from the centerline of the tent the c-channel mounting tracks are. Autohome's site has a picture of the underside of the tent but no measurement.

Here is the picture from Autohome, just to make it clear what I'm looking for. Thanks, @FrenchieXJ !

Myron

584B6F7D-5614-44ED-B6F5-949614FAF91C.png

Myron

Thank you, Frenchie. And about how far apart are the two channels spaced from each other? Judging from your measurement of the c-channels starting about 12" from the ends, my guess is they're about 30" apart, which would mean they're spaced about 15" from the long axis of the camper. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

Myron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94