What side of your vehicle to deploy your RTT?

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I am going to be mounting a Smittybilt Overland XL RTT on my Jeep JKUR and was wondering what the preferred side for deployment overhang should be? Drivers side or passenger side? It’s to big to come off the back so it will have to overhang one of the sides. What’s your preferred side and why? Also here is a pic of my JK and the trailer my boys and I built. Going to be putting a frontrunner rack on my JK for the RTT.

cbbd0120624bb457e84e7f15dd2df205.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aaen

Adventurer
passenger side as everything here in North America is setup that way for trailers/etc. Lots do set them up o the drivers side though, never understood why?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
"Deploy" so very dramatic.....

I go off the passenger side. Mostly because my awning is on the drivers side. If I'm in and out of the vehicle while set up I'll mostly be wanting stuff from the drivers side, so I can leave the RTT cover hanging draped on the passenger side of the vehicle if I want and keep it clean.

Since I can see the ground on the drivers side, I line up where I want my awning on that side. So that's why the awning is there. I have a raising hatch rear door, so once set up I can be out of the rain on 3 sides of the vehicle.

I don't buy into the idea of having my setup point away from the roadside when pulled off, even though it technically is set up that way. I'm not going to camp on the side of the road. If there is a roadside spot I will actually use, it will have space where I can get far enough off the road to set up camp without having to allow vehicles pass that close to me.

aaen

Adventurer
Wonder if anything like this has to do with left/right handed ness? My awnings/etc are all in the passenger side. My former RTT was as well, but now I have a canopy I sleep in.

You’ll be happy with either to be honest pick what works beat for your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Perfect. Thanks everyone for the responses. I had a homebuilt trailer that my boys and I built a few years back that we put a RTT on top of and we had it fold out towards passenger side but recently I’d seen a few different vehicles with the tent over the drivers side. I kinda just figured that it was to protect the drivers door area from rain etc if you happen to be going in and out of that side but could be wrong. I’m in the camp also of having the overhang off the passenger side also which seems to be the way most of you like it also.

11b0d5df5d89d52a14f5148b9cf2b2cc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles