What should I do with a 94 e250 extended cargo van

BeNimble

I have this cargo van. It has 365,000 miles, a 5.8L (351W SBF) engine and the transmission needs work.
Really looking to sell it frankly, but should I fix it, rebuild it, 4x4 it, high-top it, diesel-swap it..or sell it as-is cheap, needing work, almost no buyers with this mileage.
Body is good. I can do anything to it, meaning I have the space and skills to fabricate it anyway I want,
but I have enough projects not to want a 6 month debacle..
I do have a 87 F250 with 6.9L diesel 4x4 and 5.0 explorer awd maybe use parts from them.

What do you suggest?

BeNimble

I'm in Sacramento, this van has zero rust, paint is even good after washing it.
I keep an eye on CL ads all the time, an extended cargo van is hard to find, might even say rare these days, certainly a 5.8L rare.
The mid=90's was a sweet spot, then we get chipped keys and overhead cams.

I think maybe just rebuild the engine/trans, a 351W can be rebuilt pretty cheap, the AODE not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
I'm in Sacramento, this van has zero rust, paint is even good after washing it.
I keep an eye on CL ads all the time, an extended cargo van is hard to find, might even say rare these days, certainly a 5.8L rare.
The mid=90's was a sweet spot, then we get chipped keys and overhead cams.

I think maybe just rebuild the engine/trans, a 351W can be rebuilt pretty cheap, the AODE not so much.

Sounds like you will need to check comps then - locally in good running condition and consider if the amount of work and $ spent would be worth the fixing. Its a tough sell with needed transmission work and 365K on the W - you will instantly loose 98% of potential buyers as compared to a good driving vehicle. Rare bird that wants to buy an old (headed to 30!) fixer.

BeNimble

I think it best to leave it 2wd with the 5.8l, EPA rated 12/16mpg, not too bad.
Maybe the idea is to camper-ize it without going overboard.
So what can I do to make it a better camper? Pop top?
Ok, let's go overboard instead..have the sides fold down into a massive living area?
Or maybe a little bit simpler, and a fold out side, like this:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz