What Order of Upgrades Would You Make

alanymarce

I think that the first step would be to take the following things off and give them away or sell them, which will reduce your weight significantly :
  • Sliders – with care you can avoid getting into situations where you might need them and you’ll save the weight
  • Zero Dark 30” Terminator Light Bar – you shouldn't be driving after dark in Africa, and in cities (where it’s less of a concern you won't need them.
  • FRO Cub Storage Box & 2 FRO Wolf Storage Boxes – do you really need all of this storage (see below for ideas)
  • Hi-Lift Offroad Base
  • Hi-Lift Jack – hazardous and better with a couple of bottle jacks – lighter and less space-consuming.
As a side note re your : 2.5 LB MaxOut Fire Extinguisher - you’ll need a 0.75 Kg one for Zimbabwe (I think that’s the required size) – and it has to be the exact size ( ours was double that and we were fined…).

re the new stuff wish list:
  • CBI Offroad Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Bumper w/Dual Swing Away (& drop table) – heavy and not needed in my view.
  • CBI Offroad Moab 2.0 Front Bumper – heavy and not needed in my view.
  • (New) Differential – Detroit TrueTrac – adds complication, costs money and the standard 4Runner is capable of going anywhere you are likely to want to go.
  • 4.56 Ratio Nitro Gears (or whatever will be best for increased weight) – as above – not needed.
  • Locking Front & Rear Differentials - unlikely to be needed however might be worthwhile.
  • Extra or enlarged replacement gas tank – you have the Rotopax extra fuel – I really doubt that you’ll need more, however recommend buying an extra 20L can rather than adding a permanent extra tank, which costs money and adds weigh (which doesn't go away when empty, which will be nearly all of the time). When you’ve crossed the sector where you need extra fuel, give it away. We covered 45,000 Km on our last Africa trip and needed extra fuel only twice (although we did carry reserve a couple of times more, which we didn't actually use) – Maun to Kasane and CKGR – other than that we were always able to find fuel within the range of the vehicle, which was 500 Km in most conditions.
  • Solar panels – good idea.
  • Lighting – all LED – as above, you shouldn't be driving at night.
  • Additional back-up lights – good idea for situations where you arrive at a campsite a bit late hence after dark
  • Rigid SR-M Flush Mounted Flood Lights - not needed
  • Extreme LED pods on each side for external lighting; camp lighting – more weight and cost, suggest a couple of solar lamps.
  • Ditch lights – not needed, more weight
  • Front bumper lights or rack lights – not needed, more weight
  • Fan (for sleeping in car during the West Africa drive) – good idea.
  • Shovel & FRO mounting hardware to existing Rack (have a collapsible shovel & knock on wood haven’t had to use) – use the existing shovel, don't need another
  • Flag Pole Mount & Flag Pole (should have had in Australia) – good plan, although you won't be crossing many dunes in Africa I suspect.
  • Camp Stove – keep it small, light, and simple.
  • New front seats – Scheel-Mann – good idea – how about Isringhausens as an alternative?
re more weight considerations:
  • two 50 lb rolling duffle bags/suitcases -- plus other clothing such as jackets that is a constant fight to keep to what we consider a minimum. This sounds a lot – we carry two fast-dry shirts, two fast-dry pairs of trousers, fast-dry underwear, icebreaker socks, a pair of fast-dry shorts each, swimwear, a light rain jacket each, and a light “technical’ sweater each – no need for more than this. If you want to have an additional jacket for when you arrive back in a colder climate either buy one when you arrive, or carry a light down jacket which packs down to minimum volume. As back up for occasional cold nights carry silk thermals, which are light and take up hardly any space.
  • On our last trip home I reduced our language, bird & guide books in half again in number and thereby reducing weight. If you still have paper books/guides replace them with pdfs - almost weightless.
re tyres – I think ATs will work for everywhere you go – we used BFG TAs on our last big trip in Africa – no punctures, no problems. Based on our experience you don't need six.

These recommendations are based on having travelled widely in Africa (Southern, Eastern, Central, and Northern), my first overland trips being in the 1970s, our last major trip being in 2017, and having lived in Botswana and Congo, just to calibrate the advice.

Latetom

Observer
Alanymarce, Thank you for your detail review. I especially like (not the most important thing you wrote) your warning about fire extinguisher. Unbelievable until you get pulled over I am sure -- thanks for the warning and is now on my list to buy in South Africa.

A) I don't disagree with any of your weight reductions. However, my wife is vertically disabled, only 5'-3" and 70+, and uses the sliders as a step getting in and out of the 4Runner. And I have to note that I now sometimes do the same. :cool:
B) The lights are fog lights mounted behind the front grill and come in handy; not driving lights, my bad for lack of description.
C) You are correct about the storage boxes and am trying - but now with a little more effort - to eliminate one of the two boxes in rear of 4Runner. The box I am keeping we store kitchen utensils, plates, mugs, etc.
D) Understand your thoughts on high lift and probably should have discussed with you before buying the jack this year. We began our drive with the base because the 4Runner's jack I thought needed more support. (Haven't had to use either, knock on wood.)

Because we no longer are driving the West coast of Africa I have decided against most of the other "want" upgrades which as you noted aren't "needed" upgrades. Exceptions:
1) Interior LED lights -- eyesight is no longer 20/20.
2) Front headlights and fog lights changed to LED -- one of many "rules of the road" that we wrote up before leaving on our trip was: "no driving at night". But it does happen: once in Australia and I just knew I was going to hit a kangaroo, once in Nepal and I was sweating bullets because of bicycles and people on a moonless night, and maybe once in India. Occasionally in Europe but not a plan happening.
3) Rear lights because we are not sure what life on the road or campsites in Southern Africa will be like.
4) New better D-handle shovel and give away existing shovel; probably will add two to four pounds net and in an emergency have a "real" shovel. Can't always depend on a tractor as we used in Morocco last year.
5) Camp stove as you described.
6) Still would like to move the spare from beneath the 4Runner to the back but probably isn't going to happen anytime soon.

a) Two rolling duffle bags -- without asking my wife is reducing clothes she carries and I am doing the same; never get to where you are but at least we are reducing.
b) We are using country guide books in the U.S. but will take electronic books on our trip. Paperback field guides for birds, mammals or anything we pick up in our travels -- we are a little geeky on what we see in the outdoors.

Only have five tires -- poorly written by me so I can see how some thought I wanted two spares.

As for how you "calibrate your recommendations" - I am jealous of your African experiences.

If you have any thoughts on South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia or Angola please don't hesitate to contact me here or by email.

Again, thanks.

P.S. We got our second of two vaccine shot last Friday and hope to leave on 15 March 2021 for Morocco and to be re-united with our 4Runner and continue driving the world. Had planned on exploring Madagascar while the 4Runner was taking its ocean voyage but the big island is closed to non-citizens so we are now thinking Athens for a week, the Greek peninsula for a week (rental car), Malta for a week and then Cape Town.

alanymarce

Thanks for the detailed response - it all makes sense.

For some ideas, rather than ramble I suggest looking at the following blog posts (alternating English and Spanish paragraphs) and then we can follow up with more ideas by PM or email:

for South Africa - blog posts from https://unochoenafrica.blogspot.com/2017/04/mapungubwe-walk-through-history-una.html onwards. The national parks in RSA are excellent, with good campsites. You could easily spend 3 months there. Toyota in Cape Town and Durban are good, other Toyota dealers less so in our experience.

for Zimbabwe - a short time there on our last big trip, however lots of earlier trips - Victoria Falls is unmissable in my view, as is the Great Zimbabwe. There are lots of police checks, and lots of rules (difficult to find and not easy to comply with, like having the right reflective tape, the approved safety triangles (we found ours in a truck stop near Washington DC), and so on. The police are polite and as far as I'm concerned although they are clearly applying the rules rigorously you get an official receipt so I'm OK with that. Blog posts from https://unochoenafrica.blogspot.com/2017/03/livingstone-un-dia-inolvidable-en.html onwards (actually starting in Zambia, however it's definitely worth crossing the bridge (on foot or in a taxi) to see the Falls from the Zambian side. While I think of it, if you need any electrical maintenance or repairs, contact Nelson Zhawari in Victoria Falls (+263 7 72815393 ) - he's a genius.

for Botswana - blog posts from https://unochoenafrica.blogspot.com/2017/06/de-las-tierras-humedad-las-secas-from.html on. In my view Tuli block is a gem, and relatively few visitors go there. Maun to Kasane (or vice versa) is one of the great overland routes, and CKGR is amazing, very remote and quiet, with fantastic wildlife. The Botswana bureaucracy is significant, although people in government are pleasant enough, there is little effort to help people enjoy the country. Everyone outside the bureaucracy is (as elsewhere) friendly and welcoming, and the Post Office is an exception, however expect intransigence in immigration procedures... All the same Botswana is great. Toyota in Selebi-Pikwe (if still operating as the mine is dying) are excellent, Toyota in Gaborone inefficient but friendly enough.

for Namibia - blog posts from https://unochoenafrica.blogspot.com/2017/05/augrabies-falls-and-richtersveld.html . Actually this post is for RSA, however I recommend RIchtersveld NP, which is mentioned in the post. Namibia is efficient, helpful, friendly, and varied. Kakaoland and Damaraland are outstanding, and Etosha NP ranks with Okavango, Kruger, and Serengeti as one of the "top" wildlife areas. If you have any problems in the South then contact Udo in Lüderitz - an outstanding shop (can't find a phone number but everyone knows him). Toyota in Windhoek are good.

for Angola -- no blog posts I'm afraid however, Luanda is like any other major African city - a bit chaotic, and it can take a while to get out of the city. The road south has been improved a lot, and takes you to the national park about an hour south (once out of the city) - when last there the wildlife was still limited but they're rebuilding the population. The city is attractive around the marginale, although the new high rise offices detract from the older architecture in my view. Spend some time on la Ilha - restaurants, beach, sunsets. As you get into the south of Angola there appears to be significant corruption - haven;t experienced this ourselves, however we have heard a lot of stories. We haven't been north of Luanda for a long time, and last time I did this I took a route to a fishing village not far out of the city (a couple of hours) and enjoyed a great lobster lunch, HOWEVER, another group who took this road a couple of weeks later deviated from the track for some reason and hit an unexploded mine, resulting in serious injuries. Further north the FLEC are still active in Cabinda - take local advice if you think of going to this area.

The people everywhere are friendly and helpful.

direwolf82

I'm not sure I would go remote without a way to self recover.
The high lift jack can be used in a variety of ways, jacking a low tire up out of a hole and letting the jack fall when you drive away, with the right straps or chains it's a super heavy duty come along, straightening bent arms or rods of whatever kind, have seen them used to fix a wracked frame. In my mind they are very useful, just be sure you can use it correctly first. As with any tool improper use can be dangerous, many a broken wrist or jaw attributed to the high lift, also many dented and scratched panels from the lift not being set correctly.
Especially if you do get bumpers and have sliders you have many points to lift safely.
I cringe a little when I see a high lift stuck on a roof rack of a vehicle you can't really use it on. I'd love to have one, I'll wait until I can lift from more places than just the receiver though. Also, they look cool being exposed and all but it's not doing the mechanism any good in the rain. Keep it covered up so it stays in good shape, nothing like needing something and finding out it's all rusty in the guts where moisture tends to hang out longer.
I can't really speak with real knowledge about being out of the states but to me bumpers are protection, would probably be a bummer to smash the headlights on a tree if you pull a slip and slide in the mud by accident or get hit by an animal. Then your stuck finding parts to repair correctly or jerry rigged to get to a repair place and that's down time from the trip, maybe a good story after but probably not what I'd want to be doing on a trip like that. I also look at down time as a most hated enemy so that might have something to do with my opinion on that. Overkill is underappreciated as long as it fits the weight profile your going for.
This last is probably more personal preference than anything but I hate a tire under the truck. It always seemed easier to be able to get the spare off the back than from under. I dislike crawling in the mud. Maybe find a local welder and get a spare tire mount that fits the receiver and hinges down to access the hatch? Not a great suggestion long term but would probably fit your timeline and if you hate it you always can put the tire under the truck again and just get rid of the tire holder.
Again, I've never been out of the states but some issues are going to stay with you no matter where you are, it's just a function of what we do.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Latetom

Observer
Alanymarce, Thanks for all the links. This weekend I will read each one. I have already added your Toyota and general repair recommendations to my electronic list of vehicle contacts.

Will respond to your email address and of course I have a question or two that surly your blog links don't answer. :)

Latetom

Observer
Direwolf82, Can't disagree with your thoughts on where I have the jack stored but I just don't have space anywhere else. I do have a jack boot covering the "working" area of the jack.
I am like you on an under carriage spare -- I don't like and never have. I spent a lot of money (at least I think I did) on upgrades to our 4Runner and most I would do again -- OK, who really needs a map light when your using Google Maps, etc. and you shouldn't be driving at night.:) I do wish I had a European approved bull bar -- this is a "need" when driving Australia and am guessing a good safety device in Africa, And finally I wish I had a swing door (vs. my hatch back up swing door) with a carry for spare tire and maybe another gas container (and then remove one or both off roof rack, moving weight down closer to the road).

direwolf82

I agree, again in theory as I haven't been outside the states, but a bull bar or some form of front end/light protection would be important I imagine. I've been hit by a deer once that smashed my headlights, bullbar would have been helpful with that in Connecticut let alone in an area with a higher animal population and farther to go for a parts store.
If the high lift guts are covered and greased heavily before storage I would think that would be fine, when they are left open for the world to see and every drop of mud and water can get in there is when problems can arise.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior