What north American builder can make this?

jamesk

Observer
Looking for rig like the one in the pics. These are from Germany. FB_IMG_1475477047707.jpgFB_IMG_1475476952654.jpg

Need a gasser, don't want ulsd drama in South America.

I'd also like to avoid GXV premium price!

mike.marcacci

Adventurer
Since you're going to be adding a camper anyhow, if you don't already have the vehicle, Ford does still make E Series Cutaways which can be given awesome 4x4 by UJOR, and are probably still the platform most familiar to US camper upfitters.

Darwin

Explorer
Talk to forum member Jeep, he might be able to, I think he is building a cab and chassis sprinter. Not sure if its 4wd or not though, and won't be cheap.

jamesk

Observer
I was looking at ford transit because of the ecoboost 3.5 liter engine. I just learned that ford doesn't offer this engine in the transit cutaway.

I'm currently fulltiming in a 2010 e250 class b with 5.4. I was leaning to the transit for a more modern setup as ford is abandoning the e series.

Can the transit 3.7 naturally aspirated engine handle a camper and net me better than single digit mpg? I don't wanna v10 unless I have to!

Mercedes is off limits for me.

wjeeper

http://www.idacamper.com
idacamper004-1.jpg

jamesk

Observer
I really like what overlandex is cookin with that sprinter.

I'm ready for him to release the details.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I gave up on waiting for Mercedes and Ford to come out with the 4x4 chassis in North America. I have been looking for used 4x4 sprinter chassis in Europe. They can be bought for around 10.000. Compare this to a new chassis and you will have plenty of $ left to build a dream camperbox. I figured that by going this route (costs like shipping and import taxes included) you could have a very nice expo truck based on a Sprinter for below 50.000! All you need is the willingness to invest time and labour.
We can do a sprinter sized (flat packed, cold bridge free 2" walls, corner extrusions and adhesive) composite box including windows and door for around US$ 13.000. Turn around time is 6 weeks.

sg1

Adventurer
I have the old 2.4l diesel with 6 speed manual (same drivetrain as the Defender) without any exhaust cleaning equipment. It has 140 hp and is hopelessly underpowered by North American standards but powerful enough for the 3rd world. It can use any diesel and is very reliable. In over 5 years in Africa and Latin America I had no issues whatsoever. Obviously it doesn't meet today's emission standards and is not available anymore.
If you want a 3.5 Ecoboost why don't you take a F 150 with heavy payload package. Its payload with the tray removed is similar to a 4wd Transit and it would be a lot cheaper if you include the cost of the conversion.
Stefan

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think you can easily set up the 5cylinder 3.2L Transit Diesel for non US diesel challenges. Might be worth looking at. They sell 4x4 versions already dont they? That and the transit is nearly world wide platform too.

bajarat

Explorer
I gave up on waiting for Mercedes and Ford to come out with the 4x4 chassis in North America. I have been looking for used 4x4 sprinter chassis in Europe. They can be bought for around 10.000. Compare this to a new chassis and you will have plenty of $ left to build a dream camperbox. I figured that by going this route (costs like shipping and import taxes included) you could have a very nice expo truck based on a Sprinter for below 50.000! All you need is the willingness to invest time and labour.
We can do a sprinter sized (flat packed, cold bridge free 2" walls, corner extrusions and adhesive) composite box including windows and door for around US$ 13.000. Turn around time is 6 weeks.

Vehicles have to be 25 years or older to import to the US and trucks will get hit with 25% duty.

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
Since you're going to be adding a camper anyhow, if you don't already have the vehicle, Ford does still make E Series Cutaways which can be given awesome 4x4 by UJOR, and are probably still the platform most familiar to US camper upfitters.

If you want a gasser, this is the most logical path to pursue a build on a cutaway chassis. A V10 cutaway can be purchased new for around $32k and of course we can build a cabin to meet your requirements.

Interested in a cab forward gasser?

Rebel Off Road will be coming out with a 'consumer priced' 4x4 conversion for the Isuzu NPR very soon. The NPR is equipped with an L96 Vortec with 297hp/372 lb-ft torque and 6 spd dual overdrive transmission.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/144320-Isuzu-NPR-4x4-Beast!-Rebelzilla-by-Rebel-Off-Road

1111111111111111111.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier